Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Adblue
  • cb

Car telling us to stick some of this in – anyone have any idea how much A skoda Yeti would take? Also how often it will need doing? Just about to buy 10l from Unipart but if it needs 500ml once a year that’s a bit of overkill!

cheers

jam-bo

ignore me.

simmy
    Free Member

I’ve no idea personally, but one of my students told me his wife’s car, a VW Tiguan, takes about 2 lt

There should be a tank in the boot on the left hand side.

cb

Found the tank but only the lid is visible so no idea how big it is. Struggling to find it in the manual

johnners
    Free Member

I know yours is a Skoda, but according to VW’s website

How much AdBlue will my car use?

AdBlue consumption varies from vehicle to vehicle, but Volkswagen estimates a Passat will get through about 1.5 litres every 620 miles, for example. Much like fuel consumption, though, the harder and faster you drive, the more AdBlue you’ll use.

Fortunately, because AdBlue is injected into the exhaust gases in such small quantities, you shouldn’t find yourself topping up too often. With most AdBlue tanks holding around 10 litres or more, many drivers will find AdBlue refills taken care of during their car’s annual service.

Seems oddly adrift from what jambo and simmy are saying though.

cb

Ok – google tells me!! 8.5l tank and 2 fills a year based on the Miss Daisy style of driving it gets.

johnners
    Free Member

Sounds plausible. Have a look at the Briskoda forums, they reckon minimum top up once you get the warning is 4.5 litres.

Scamper
    Free Member

My Alambra drinks the stuff. First warning light came on at 6k miles.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Isn’t it just piss, in which case…

yosemitepaul

Audi here. It drinks the stuff. I get through about 10l every 12,000m
    I buy it from the local truck stop, where its a lot cheaper than Halfords. I think £13.99 for the last drum

maccruiskeen

Isn’t it just piss, in which case…

…..you’ve got a touch of the “Madness of King George” and you should probably talk to your GP about you’re blue piss 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Bloody hell. I thought only trucks used this stuff and all the drivers I know complain like hell about the cost of it.
    What happens if you simply don’t fill it up?

parkesie
    Free Member

If you dont refill your nox emisions go up and the car will eventualy go into a low power limp home mode untill youve refilled and had the system reset. 8-10,000 miles to a piss tank on a yeti. Filler is in the boot by the spare wheel i belive.

Drac

Loads of garages have pumps for it now and it’s way cheaper to use those.

aP
    Free Member

The lack of Adblue is one of things puzzling people over VAG’s impossible emissions figures.
    Need to go get a bottle of it I think, I’m guessing we’ll want to top up in mid February.

garage-dweller

I’ve clocked up 7000 in my 62 plate Passat since I bought it. No sign of a fill me up light yet and it wasnt freshly serviced at delivery. Mind you it gets a pretty easy life with me – ploughing the motorways at legal speeds and almost complete lack of thrashing. Maybe it’s time to pick up a bottle. I assume it needs it at some point or maybe it’s too old? I just had an emissions scandal letter so maybe no piddle in it? 😉

tom200

Another reason not to buy a diesel VW, just in case anyone needed another.

orangeboy
    Free Member

It’s not just vw Useing urea additive. Think some Volvo and some psa group cars do to and many more Id guess

chestrockwell

We use it in the fire engines. Just pig pee int it?

Why do VAG cars drink it? My Ford doesn’t need it and my mates old pug used hardly any, as in topping up once in the vehicle life.

Drac

A lot of newer diesels have had adblue fitted but you’ll not be bothered about that as it doesn’t fit in.

thegreatape
    Free Member

you’ve got a touch of the “Madness of King George” and you should probably talk to your GP about you’re blue piss

Would explain a lot…

ulysse
    Free Member

Newp, PSA group vehicles use the phenomenally more expensive and unbelievably harmful to human health eolys fluid

parkesie
    Free Member

New psa are on piss older use eolys that would last 100000 miles but cost £30 a litre. I work with diesel and all these fun additives everyday, my car is a petrol.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Pas group use both for euro 6 vehicles, eloys is very old and no longer used but a new generation of fuel additives are injected into the fuel tank when the fuel tank is mixed to aid diesel particle filter regeneration, urea/add blue is injected into the exhaust again to further lower/improve emissions, useage is based on driving style and type of driving I.e m/way or urban. It’s mostly water that’s why is cheap in the future it will probably go to a solid block that’s heated to extract the urea.
    Most manufacturers if not all will be using urea by now for Euro 6/7 cars, but there is not much more we can do to clean up diesel emissions, diesel injection is at crazy high pressures to atomise the fuel, the EGR valves cause issues, most euro 6 diesels will have a urea filter in the exhaust, then a pre particle filter then a particle filter and use additives injected into the fuel pre burn and into the exhaust post burn.
    And use complex engine software to control it all.
    Small diesels will be gone in a few years with just big lux stuff left purely due to production costs.

speed12
    Free Member

If you dont refill your nox emisions go up and the car will eventualy go into a low power limp home mode untill youve refilled and had the system reset.

As an addition to this, if you still continue to drive for too long after then it will get to a point where the ECU will not allow the engine to start until the tank is filled.

Urea dosing should be calibrated so that a tank fill is a service item – needing to refill it every 6 months seems like incredibly high usage?!

atlaz
    Free Member

About 6l does me for 12-14000km. I think it cost me 15e to top up last week. I rarely fill it up, I just whack a couple of bottles in and check the computer to see if I have enough to not think about it for a bit.

needing to refill it every 6 months seems like incredibly high usage?!

TBH, I just view it as like the washer bottle. It’s a consumable, it gets used, every station sells it and I don’t need any equipment to top up.

molgrips
    Free Member

No, it’s another reason TO buy one*. AdBlue is used by engines with Selective Catalytic Reduction to hugely reduce the NOx emissions. So you no longer need as much or any EGR, which is the thing people’ve been complaining about for ages. And your DPF will probably get less load. And you’ll probably get more MPG too.

It’s a much better solution than EGR.

Anyway I read that you need a special bottle to fill VWs with AdBlue?

* If you’re going diesel that is… Petrol hybrid ftw.

Drac

Anyway I read that you need a special bottle to fill VWs with AdBlue?

You can just buy a hose.

chestrockwell

needing to refill it every 6 months seems like incredibly high usage?!

Father in law has just had to fill his Audi which was bought new in July.

Drac

We refill our works Mercedes every month.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

VW Tiguan here. Had it 14 months and done 9,000 miles so far.

Filled it up twice during that period and the reminder just came up yesterday that it needs refilling again at some stage during the next 1500 miles.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Not just VW. I wouldn’t buy ANY diesel. The more I hear about them the more sure I am of this too! There’s no point for us either as we only do 6-7000 miles a year in the car, it just sits on the drive during the week and we both go to work on motorbikes because it’s significantly faster to do so due to the traffic.

Legoman
    Free Member

My e-class has needed 2 fills in about 30k miles
    Annoyingly when the re-fill message appears it starts to give a mileage countdown, after which it won’t start the engine, but it only gives you about 500 miles notice. As I’m a relatively high mileage driver, that pretty much gives me a day or two to fill it up sometimes.

It’s becoming more widely available but if you’re forced to get it from a motorway service station it costs a good few quid to fill

Cougar

Is there anything stopping you from just buying a bottle and leaving it in the boot?

(Come to that, why can’t you just pee in the tank?!)

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Ad blue is evil stuff. Highly suggest against carrying a bottle in the back of your car. Collegues relatively new Mercedes C Class was ruined a few years back because of the stuff. We are a commercial dealership so adblue is part of our daily lives. As salesmen we get asked to shift a few bits and bobs from time to time. My collegue was asked to shift a load of 10L ad blue bottles. One split and despite professional cleaning on more than 5 occasions, after it dried, the white powder started to seep back out of every bit of the interior. For 3 yrs it went to be cleaned every month and it lasted about 4wks before it came back.

Anyhow, Adblue is the future peeps. All manufacturers are going that way and hopefully garages will catch up. We have it on pumps and sell it at about £1 per litre so hardly epxpensive. I think some of the truckstops are starting to get it on pumps too which I think car filling stations should follow too.

Our vehicles give a 3litre warning (13Litre tank at about 1000mls per litre) and if you run out of adblue, the vehicle stops and recovery is needed

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

What Mercedes needs filled up once per month? That’s crazy!! Unless you just mean topping up to full

Drac

What Mercedes needs filled up once per month? That’s crazy!! Unless you just mean topping up to full

Sprinters and no I don’t.

pictonroad

A mate of mine works for a major manufacturer, they all strip each other’s cars down to learn what the others are doing. Here’s a new diesel with all ancillaries attached. You can just make out the bit that is ‘engine’ from the size of the sump and position of the belts. Everything else is forced induction, sensors and pollution control kit. Diesels are getting ridiculous

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Adblue’ is closed to new replies.