Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Adapting Pro2 EVO freehub to take 11sp road cassette?
  • Shackleton

I know the new EVO 40t has a different freehub to take 11sp road cassettes but is it possible to machine down the freehub from a Pro2 EVO (pre-40t) to take 11 cogs (shimano 105 not mountain)? The hope website implies that they moved the flange inboard on the EVO 40t to make room for 11sp road cassettes so should I be worried about somehow fouling the spokes with the chain?

If the answer is “yes you can do it and all will be fine” can anyone tell me how much I need to take off or what the final dimensions should be?

Cheers,

S

Rorschach
    Free Member

IIRC you need to find another 1.1mm.The bigger issue will be the rear mech cage hitting the spokes.

scotroutes

11 speed freehub

10 speed freehub

It doesn’t look like there’s much you could possibly remove.

Also

the main identifying feature is the pocket machined at the bottom to the spline on the 11 speed body

mikewsmith
    Free Member

WARRANTY/SERVICE/TECHNICAL

T // +44 (0) 1282 818413
    E // service@hopetech.com
    I reckon this on Monday morning would give you a definitive answer

jonk

I filed the standard 10sp freehub this weekend to take an 11sp road cassette and it works a treat. Used a file and some callipers to check each bit was the same.

gee
    Free Member

Yes this is easy to do. Just buy the new freehub in the photo above and swap everything else over. I have exactly that setup on my Warbird.

Shackleton

Cheers all.

I thought the new freehub only fitted the 40t hub? That was the impression I got from the hope blog. Or do the pawls still work OK going from 24t to 40t?

gee
    Free Member

They work fine. It’s the hub ratchet bit that’s different.

EDIT – as long as it’s a pro2 Evo it’ll work fine. Original Pro2 won’t work.

Shackleton

Cool, thanks. It is an EVO, just not a 40t. Did you have any problems with the dérailleur hitting spokes as Rorschach warned? I’m sceptical that 1mm can really make that much difference but hope did redesign the whole hub body to account for it…….

gee
    Free Member

No

Shackleton

Thanks, sadly that is the page that started the confusion over what you are “allowed” to do and what you can actually get away with!

pbooker1995
    Free Member

1.85mm is what you need to machine off.

Worst case, get a machining company to mil off the back of the cassette. Top cog will sit slightly closer to wheel but works perfectly in my opinion.

Mowgli
    Free Member

I have an old XC hub and 11 speed cassette. I took out one of the rings and swapped some spacers around, and the ‘gap’ isn’t noticeable and it shifts across the gap just fine. Obviously you only get 10 gears, but can at least use your 11 speed grouspet. The spare slot on the shifter is at the smallest cog, so there’s no chance of shifting the mech into the spokes.

Shackleton

Just found this old thread too which seems to say that if you have a 11-28 or bigger cassette the you should be fine……

link

Time to take the plunge I guess.

Shackleton

Fitted and working fine with a 32t cassette. Plenty of space between the cassette and spokes without a plastic chain catcher thingy. Mech is a bit closer to the spokes than before but there is still a good 5mm clearance and no sudden death on the bouncier pay off the commute.

Cheers all for the advice.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Adapting Pro2 EVO freehub to take 11sp road cassette?’ is closed to new replies.