• This topic has 32 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Euro.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Adapting my MTB for a one-off road ride?
  • Euro
    Free Member

It’s a charity thing in work (Cycle Against Suicide) and i’ve volunteered to do the first day. It’s not huge miles (under 100 i think and hope) but my most suitable bike is a 456SS.

I’m swapping my HR Super tackys to DMR moto diggers off my jump bike and winding the forks down (36 Talas) and that’s all i can think of to make it a bit easier on the day. Is there anything obvious to the road riders that i could/should alter on the bike to make it more capable on road (i don’t ride on the road much).

Don’t have a recent pic but looks pretty much like this without the tag-a-long a but with Sunline bars that are a bit wider and have a few mm more rise and a 70mm stem.

Cheers roadie scum 😛

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Borrow a road bike, will be the best thing you can do.

cookeaa

Do you mean moto-RT’s? Moto diggers would be even worse than those HRsI would expect…

TBH I would consider investing in some narrower slicks, don’t need to be pricey But will improve rolling no end.

Could you stomach bar ends as well, just to give some different hand positions…

johnnystorm

Donate as cash whatever you’d need to spend on your bike, particularly if it’ll never see the light of day again. 😉

Or do it with the full on off-road spec and use this to force more sponsorshipdonations out of your workmates?

Can your LBS lend you a demo for the day as it’s for a good cause?

Frankenstein
    Free Member

But some slicks?

cookeaa

here you go, tenner an end. plus lycra and a bottle cage… Will add a couple of Mph to your average without requiring more physical effort…

Edit:

same price, possibly better…

northernmatt

Yup, as above get some slicks and pump them up as hard as you dare. Bear in mind you’ll need skinny tubes plus spare skinny tubes. Pump forks up if they are air, or lock them out.

medoramas
    Free Member

Just pump some 50 psi into the tyres and you’ll be fine. It’s not a race, is it?

Euro
    Free Member

I only know a few roadie chaps and they’re smaller than me, and i would be worried about breaking their bike.

Very local LBS wouldn’t have anything that would suit or fit (17″ fat bike?) and LBS is CRC and they’d only interested if there’s something in it for them, which there isn’t. A great big Ulster NO! to bar ends also.

I was hoping to not spend any money (weird i know). Don’t want to wear the HRs that’s why i’m swapping, but i guess a few pounds on slicks would be ok. Cheers.

Things like brake lever/seat angle make much difference?

jekkyl

don’t forget to scowl and put on a little cap under your peakless helmet.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Things like brake lever/seat angle make much difference?

Not much… Any of the rest of your team your size? You don’t crash Road bikes

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Euro, where abouts are you? I have a couple of 26″ big apples which are great on the road. Welcome to borrow them if you near me (travel quite a bit with work too so may be able to work something out).

Shove a wanted add on classifieds….. Bet there are a shed load of 26″ skinnies out there now everyone rides clown bikes.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I assume the gear ratio is something like 32-16? That, to me, is the biggest problem, even more so than tyres. You’ll be stuck at 12mph and wish to heavens you had something bigger. It’ll be tortuous.

I know you don’t want to spend money, but seriously, a cheap chain and a second hand 44t ring will make it much nicer.

qwerty
    Free Member

17″ fat bike?

Now, THATS worth sponsoring! 100miles of road riding, on a fat bike. The local press would love it, your charity & LBS would get a bit of publicity. DO IT!!!

Sundayjumper

Borrow a road bike, will be the best thing you can do.

This x100. 100 miles on the road on that will be hateful. Doubly so if everyone else is on appropriate bikes and has to wait for you all the time.

Euro
    Free Member

I kinda agreed to do it without knowing what’s involved but looking at the map, stage one is just under 100k so not too bad.

I’m 6’5″ so borrowing a road bike is out unless there’s anyone reading that’s local, large and not too bothered about what a hallion does to their lovely bike. I’m happy to do it on the 456.

Gearing is 1(34)x10 which will have to do. Besides, i’ll be in my mtb uniform complete with camelbak, so not particularly aero and i’m not trying to race anyone. I’m pretty sure i wont be last judging by some of pics from the previous events.

100miles 60 miles of road riding, on a fat bike…DO IT

You know those fat bikes that folk on here scoff at? (the 22kg ones) – it’s one of them. 😆

doncorleoni – Member
    Euro, where abouts are you?

That’s a very kind offer Don, i’m based in Antrim and work in Belfast.

butcher

Some slicks (or at least faster rolling tyres), and a bigger chainring, and you’ll be set to go.

It’ll not be as fast as a road bike, but much quicker than what it is now.

ste_t
    Free Member

Cheap commuting tyres and more gears.

tthew

I wouldn’t bother changing the gear ratio TBH. 34×12(?) will be fine on a 60 mile ride if you’re not trying to break any records. Road tyres would be a good idea, also put your saddle up to proper roadie height if you have it a bit lower for off road.

Scapegoat

Schwalbe city jets 9 quid an end, click and collect Halfords. 26×1.5.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

As above, you can spend a lot more and not get a lot more.

If you’re lucky, maybe someone will donate some part-worn ones.

lightman
    Free Member

It’d be a waste buying some slicks to only use once, get some Conti Race Kings.
    I did the Ken Laidlaw 100 mile sportive on them last year, they roll really well and you can still use them when you’re finished.
    My top gear for that was 42×11 and it was good enough to keep up with the fast group, so unless that is your plan, then your 34×11/12 will probably be fine.

Im not sure how many are planning to ride, but if you think you might be in a group, then possibly narrower bars might be an idea.

RRD
    Free Member

Euro

In Belfast and I think I have 2 x Schalbe marathon plus road slicks that I used to commute on years ago.

I’ll check and post shortly.

RRD

sleigh62
    Free Member

NO to bar ends?
    They might look a bit crap on an mtb(or any bike for that matter) but 100 miles with your hands in exactly the same position can be painful … They change the position of your back slightly as well … Every little helps!

If you want some … I have a spare pair somewhere … Send me your address and I’ll post them if your interested.

Ride looks good … Hope it goes well

gnusmas

I have converted my HT for road duties as cannot afford to buy a road bike and while i cannot compare it to a road bike it is pretty good. Swapped bits over a few months.

I have narrow slicks on it, 24/36/48 chainrings (24 never gets used and 36 hardly does either, swapped my 44 for the 48 too), rigid forks and bar ends.

Definitely get fast rolling tyres, makes a huge difference.
    Agree with glasgowdan, put a big ring on there.
    As for bar ends, go for it. I was skeptical at first but bought a cheap set and they are great. Different hand positions, stretch your back out while riding, pull on the bike while climbing etc etc.

If it is for one ride you can always take them off again after.

Good luck with it.

Euro
    Free Member

Just an update on this.

Bike is now ready as it’s going to be, it’s not pretty but it never was. Found a on old 42t front ring so stuck that on (and took the chain device off). Got some city jet tyres (+ 3 tubes), put my seat up a bit and added a bottle cage. Bike pedals waaaay more easily than before, so thanks very much for the suggestions stwers!

Love the fact that the fork stantions are wider than the tyres 😀

grenosteve
    Free Member

That’ll do 60 miles no problem!

stumpy01

Looks good. Narrower bars might help if you have some to swap over to, but not essential.

Is your chain long enough for the bigger ratios, given that you’ve put a fair size bigger chainring on? Worth checking before you start.

njee20
    Free Member

That’ll be reet. You’re right not to bother with bar ends – on a wide bar they’ll open you up like a sail, which is the opposite of what you want. If you need a different position grip either side of the stem.

Euro
    Free Member

That’ll do 60 miles no problem!

It’s not the bike i’m worried about 😀

Had the bike in it’s former guise up in the mountains doing DH runs last Sunday – unbelievable just how versatile these mtb things are.

Is your chain long enough for the bigger ratios

Yeah, should be ok. The old 42t was on the bike when i got it and i didn’t shorten the chain when i took the 3x off – just put on chain device. Dropped the chain a few times out on the test ride, but that’s because i still think it’s a mountain bike. Must…stop…jumping…off…every…curb!

If you need a different position grip either side of the stem.

Almost got bar ends but i couldn’t bring myself to do it. I’ve been playing about with hand positions and close to the stem works grand on the straight bits.

D0NK

if you have a longer stem it may be an idea to fit that, or just flip the one you have, lower position – aslong as it’s comfy – will help with aero*, but if you’ve got someone to draft that would be better 🙂

*it is pretty important on the road even if it’s not a (head)windy day**
    **in which case it’s very important

damion
    Free Member

I’d put the top cage back on the chain device just for piece of mind (and continue to jump off every kerb 😀 )

Euro
    Free Member

Well it’s done.

Bike worked a treat (cheers again for the tips 😀 ) and at the pace we rode it wasn’t a pain sitting more upright than the rest. The extra stability came in handy when i got clipped too. Not so much as a wobble from me but i glanced over my shoulder to see a couple of guys hitting the deck. Bit strange being told to ride on when i felt like i should have checked they were OK. Body wise my arse is sore from sitting for so long but the legs feel fine.

Enjoyed it and met some very friendly folk. Can’t see me getting a road bike just yet but i might keep the SS like this for a week or two to get some easy miles in.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Adapting my MTB for a one-off road ride?’ is closed to new replies.