Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Adaptil dog zombie collars – effective?
  • MrsToast
    Free Member

We’re on our anniversary holiday in Innerleithen, and it’s our first holiday with the dog. At home, he’s a sweet, quiet little boy who sleeps through the night and rarely barks. However, he seems a bit nervy in the B&B – he’ll have periods where he’ll be fine, then he’ll hear a noise and start barking. He only barks for a few seconds, but obviously it’s not really acceptable and not ideal for the other guests. As I’ve said, he’s fine at home, and he’s been fine when we’ve stayed at Mr Toast’s parents.

Does anyone know if those DAP collars actually have a calming effect? We’re trying to minimise his nerviness as best we can (we’ve brought him his bedding and a toy from home), but I’m now terrified he’s not going to sleep through the night.

swampi
    Free Member

I used the spray and plug in adapter, it worked to chill my dog out and helped with anxiety…..it either works or doesnt…..so the reviews seem to suggest, skull cap and valerian tablets also helped to

MrsToast
    Free Member

Well, the good news is he didn’t bark or whine through the night, but he did get up every couple of hours and wondered around the room. Might have to try them out any way!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TheFlyingOx

Just a warning: we tried Valerian for our cat when it needed to go in the catbox for a trip to the vet. I never knew such a small creature held that much vomit.

Milkie
    Free Member

DAP Sprays, plugins, collars work and work well. 😉

andyl
    Free Member

first night will always be a bit unsettled.

No experience with the dog as she is very good travelling – just camping wears her out the first night. But for the cat we use a plug in Feliway in the car (plugged into an inverter) and wherever we are staying (eg spedning Xmas with family so have to take him).

GrahamS

Interesting.

Do they make them for children?

footflaps

Do they make them for children?

half a valium tablet dissolved in milk…..

GrahamS

half a valium tablet dissolved in milk…..

For parent or child?

footflaps

works for either 😉

gottapickapenny
    Free Member

The DAP plug ins do wonders for our dog. Hes a greyhound so habitually sleeps a lot. Seems to work on all but the most stressful moments i.e. fireworks.

Then we found the thunder vest (get them off amazon) its a really tight fitting body which calms him down loads. Its been a revelation and worth a go.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Well, Benny has chilled out quite a lot today, bought a diffuser so not sure if it’s that or just being a bit more familiar with his surroundings that’s helped. Tonight he’s going to the pub, so that should be interesting…

swampi
    Free Member

if you want to try a thundervest i have a spare one you can have(depending on size of your dog), work wonders….also the first hit of adaptil seems to be the most effective…. 🙂

nicko74

first night will always be a bit unsettled.

I think it’s this – it’s a new place, smells weird, may have had dogs there previously too. But if he’s in the same room as you he should (?) calm down fairly quickly as soon as he realises you’re there, haven’t abandoned him and so on.

I still remember when we got our little dog last year, a rescue. New house, new crate, and no other pets – she howled for the first 3 nights. Calmed down after that, and now she’s fine as long as we’re around.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Cheers for the offer, Swampi! Ben seems to have settled quite a lot, so I think we’ll be ok. Had to give him a shower today though, this weather doesn’t really agree with his hair. Will have to get the matt splitter out when we get home, so that’s something to look forward to…

MrsToast
    Free Member

Spoke too soon, the furry pillock decided last night he was going to be startled by random noises every two hours, at which he’d have a short bark or two. Unfortunately as he doesn’t bark at home (and having to silence him ASAP due to being in a b&b), we don’t really have any coping mechanisms other than jumping on him and telling him it’ll be Ok, which calms him down. D:

On the plus side, it was lovely and sunny over Glentress today, which was really enjoyable even on 1.5 hours sleep. I saw a doe and her fawn, sproinging.

solarpowered
    Free Member

Get it, use it, no regrets!! Works a treat!! ( good luck) x

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Adaptil dog zombie collars – effective?’ is closed to new replies.