Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Adams (Childrens clothing store) latest to go bust…who next ?
  • takisawa2

Woolies, MFI, Zavi & now it looks like Adams are set to go bust.
    Always thought Adams were a bit tired though, shabby stores, constant heavy discounting etc. Still a shame though.

I wonder who will be next ?

druidh
    Free Member

Adams also supply Boots with kids clothing. Possible knock-on effect there, though I suspect Boots are safe at the moment.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Starbucks!

allyharp

Slowly but surely we’re approaching the day when the only place to buy anything is Tesco.

Daffy

Currys/Dixons/PCworld

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Would anybody actually miss any of those, Daffy?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Iceland, hopefully. Nowt but crap in there.

Followed closely by NikeTown and Carphone Whorehouse, I hope.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Iceland, hopefully. Nowt but crap in there.

She ain’t crap ……

…….. a bit weird mind.

As for those who ask “would anybody actually miss any of those”, wait until the retail competition has been reduced and we all end up paying more than to the likes of Tesco (Tesco is keenly aware of their competitors prices).

We might all end up missing them then. Although obviously Tesco won’t, as they watch their profits go through the roof.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If any of those which I reckoned we wouldn’t miss were providing decent competition to Tescos, then you might have a point, ernie. If Dabs or Ebuyer went there’d be a far bigger issue from that POV in that part of the market (Tesco is far more comparable to those in the service it offers).

Pablo
    Free Member

Would anybody actually miss any of those

A few thousand staff and their families?

beej

JJB Sports is tipped to be next, Land of Leather/other furniture retailers, Allied Carpets.

Hopefully the demise of places like JJB might allow other smaller sports shops to flourish. Where I live we’re lucky in that we’ve got a real, independent sports shop that sells things you wear/use whilst exercising!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

JJB, dressing chavs in a town near you.

Not sure who’s going to join the list, but High Streets are going to have quite a few empty shops in them and that can’t be good for those that are left. The state of our High Streets is bad enough as it is and I really fear for knock on effect

curtisthecat
    Free Member

Just went online to get a price for a ferry crossing and found that Speedferries are no longer. I guess the pirates won after all!

lunge

My brother works in banking, he said to keep a close eye on Debenhams as they have a lot of debt.

miketually
    Free Member

JJB should be ok, using the highly affective measure of just how many chavs I saw carrying JJB carrier bags last time I was in town shopping (chavs are not big on jute ‘bags for life’ apparently).

KonaTC

I suspect quite a few

Furniture stores, offering XX% off, XX yearís interest free credit could be at risk

Clothing stores, who have sifted most of their stock at cost, so the fashion-ites have full wardrobes

Mobil Phone Company ñ in a credit crunch having the latest phone ñ who cares? (Also they rip us off with charges)

A DIY store ñ not such a national obsession any more

Electrical retailers ñ all competing with supermarkets and online retailers

Department stores ñ same as electrical retailers

Not taking account of course bigger stable companies buying up their competitors at a knock down price ñ just like the banks

Sadly good hard working people and their families are going to suffer whilst Gordon bankrupts the country and the spivs and speculators make even more money gambling with our economy.

mrmo
    Free Member

i would keep an eye on one of the bike chains, I don’t know if Leisure Lakes, Evans etc can sustain their businesses as they are if no one buys expensive bikes. They have a lot of expensive stock to shift.

beej

Re Mobile Phone Company – if you mean a retailer (Carphone Warehouse, Phones 4 U), then possibly. If you mean a network, very, very unlikely. There might be some consolidation (e.g. T-Mobile and 3 merger) but I doubt anyone will just go bust. Operating profits for the big worldwide companies are in the billions.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

I’ve noticed quite a few car showrooms around Nottingham have started cutting their prices, yet not much more than most January sales. How long before a few of the larger car retailer go to the wall?

Of course if they fail as well as a few mobile phone companies it could seriously affect sales of cheap suits which may cause a downturn for the Arcadia Group.

Daffy

Every Bike shop I’ve talked to has reported decent sales in the last half of this year.

Hugh-Jarse
    Free Member

Saw on the Telegraph website that Olan Mills has gone bust.

I was more suprised that they were still around since the rise in digital photography.

Lots of small, single outlet retailers are going out of business in Guildford. Shops that have been inplace for years not just weeks or months are closing down.

Not sure how big Pier were but they’ve been having a closing down sale for the last 2-3 weeks.

the-muffin-man

Where Pier part of Woolies? They seemed to have exactly the same closing down POS as Woolies in their stores yesterday.

alexxx
    Free Member

our woolies went today with a 80% off and 2 massive skips outside with whatever was left..

look at the online purchases trends over the last 2 years the % of rise is craaaazzzzy

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Oh my God, no, Ernie, I didn’t mean the Nation of Iceland!

Who could have anything against a country that gave the world the wonderful wailing songstress Bj¯rk?

I don’t know if it’s just a myth, but apparently, Bj¯rk’s music was one of Iceland’s biggest exports!

No, the shop, I’d be happy to see disappear. Feeding the obese with shit processed junk for far too long.

As for Carphone Whorehouse; an industry reliant on the ‘ooh look at me with my posh new phone, aren’t I special?’ mentality. That can go too.

Actually, time for a new thread…

DaveGr
    Free Member

Agree that Debenhams are likely to go. In the boom times they often had sales on and were open late at night when all other shops were closed. Couple that with the debt that the vultures, oops sorry the Private Equity firm left them with and the futures not bright.

Car sales are down the pan at the moment – heard an advert for a pre registered Renault Scenic (ie new but with a few miles on) and it was down from 16k to 8k !!! I expect a few car dealers to go under.

Generally small shops with large rents and non essentials are vulnerable. Maybe florists, gift shops that sell tat, all clothes shops (oh is it just me that doesn’t rush out to buy new clothes?). The shops that have been around for ages and own their premises/have a long cheap lease should survive better.

rogerredhat
    Free Member

The likes of Carphone Warehouse will, no doubt, be in for a fight, but remember that the flogging phones bit is often a loss leader: their business is in being an airtime re-seller. There will be a bunfight on all of this, but the subscriber bases have real value (both to the netowrks and also to the various re-sellers out there). Expect the smaller re-sellers to be bought by larger players.

As for car dealers, most people ought to be aware of the fact that GMAC is in the sh*t in the US. As part of this it has been withdrawing finance from c3,500 GM dealerships across Europe (or massivley hiking their rates). The effect is already a number of dealerships going bust. If you want a Vauxhall, now might be the time to drive a hard bargain….

Peregrine
    Free Member

Hopefully the Vaux dealers in Rochdale will go – used to work there on some of the things that went on were well out of order.

Bunnyhop

I just hope more people will shop locally at independant stores. The service tends to be better and the goods a better quality.

All the Christmas presents we bought were from local shops. The owner of the toy shop couldn’t do enough for us.

freeform5spot
    Free Member

WHSmiths are struggling to get credit I understand, Boots too.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

WHSmiths are struggling to get credit I understand, Boots too.

Nearly everyone is struggling to get credit, it doesn’t mean that nearly everyone will go out of business.

tyke
    Free Member

I think that DSG – owners of Dixons, Currys and PCWorld is struggling and would expect to see quite a few Curry’s stores closed down before too long.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Mobile Phone companys struggling??

You are joking right??

I work for one of them, and belive me, they have not had this much money flying around for a long time..

We’ve just been told that they are gonna be handing out enough work for us for the next 5 years…

And as for another one of the players.. theya are rolling their network at such speed they can’t keep up..

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

Peregrine, they’re part of a larger group and sell Daewoo erm Chevrolet too. I suspect that they are struggling as all car showrooms are.

Robinsons have gone (probably due to losing the Scooby franchise a while ago) as too has the Renault dealership..

I’m amazed that Carcraft has grown so large from the original (and small) used car lot.

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

Morgan have gone into administration now too..

It’s no wonder they’re not getting credit.. IIRC the banks have been offered cash from the BOE/Government at something around 12% and are being told to then loan that money to businesses and individuals at much lower rates…

Now excuse me for being a bit dim but that doesn’t sound like a good deal for the banks to then offer credit as it they’ll be losing money?

DaveGr
    Free Member

“Morgan have gone into administration now too..”

good grief, for a while I thought you meant the car company !!! Then found out it’s just a fashion chain.

activeDuty
    Free Member

USC as well I see.

mrmo
    Free Member

I know before the Christmas break my employer was told about a change to the Credit insurance policy. Basically any customer that puts a foot out of line would result in our credit insurers removing cover on any future sales to them. If the credit limits can be cut they are being cut.

As most of our customers, or at least the ones worth dealing with, rely on credit to be able to finance anything. With the main contractors increasing payment periods and the christmas break….

I am also led to believe that as a group the number of customers we have on stop for late payment is rocketing. January will be carnage in the building industry i have no doubt about it.

On a brighter note, the days are getting longer and this summer can’t have any worse weather than the last couple.

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

I think USC are closing some stores to avoid administration. I suspect every day over the next couple of weeks there will be an announcement of another company going into receivership.

It’s very sad for all concerned.

activeDuty
    Free Member

Majority of USC shops are being sold back to another company in the current owners investment vehicle. Saves jobs, wipes out the debt, leaves the creditors pretty much in the lurch. Owning company gets shot of the underperformers, and pretty much gets to start again from a base where the’ve kept the moneymakers.

Morally right or wrong, a difficult call to make.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

“Morgan have gone into administration now too..”

good grief, for a while I thought you meant the car company !!! Then found out it’s just a fashion chain.

Much to my relief as well! Was frantically googling for info about Morgan for a moment.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Adams (Childrens clothing store) latest to go bust…who next ?’ is closed to new replies.