Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Acupuncture or Physio for shoulders?
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I dislocation both shoulders at the weekend and they are a bit stiff and sore at the moment. X-ray last night confirmed NBI so it is just bruising and sore muscle preventing me lifting my right arm more than about 45 degrees away from my body.

Doc recommended a referral to Physio and them said that he always favoured Acupuncture

Anyone any experience of acupuncture? Does it work and how does it work? Can I self medicate with kebab skewers?

Cougar

Go to the physio, and get a new GP. Next question?

clareymorris

Or massage, as it is possibly muscular issue?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I thought physio was just a massage without the option for sex with the masseur

wasn't GP, was the A&E doctor

clareymorris

WCA that is making me laugh especially as my other half is a remedial masseur and has a client downstairs now………I'll have to listen for any dodgy moans (on top of the groans)!!!!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

remedial masseur – What does one of them do then? Are you based near Southampton?

TractorFrog
    Free Member

go to the Physio, mine also did some acupuncture as well as massager and there as good as new now.

Bit strange the first time but well worth it.

i pay £25 for 45 / 60 mins

clareymorris

WCA we are in the Lakes – what a great excuse to get up here and get treatment, and ride bikes!!

Remedial masseurs treat muscle ailments/injuries/problems both new and old.

mefty
    Free Member

I am no medic but in my experience a fully dislocated shoulder is not just a bit sore and stiff after a few days, mine was immobilised for six weeks. It then took five months of exceedingly painful physio to restore a reasonable range of movement (not full). However you have obviously done something sore and I would recommend physio as the shoulder is such a mobile joint the key is getting it moving. Take painkillers before physio, my physio was inspite of these precautions still subjected to totally unacceptable levels of abuse. Swimming – Front crawl helps alot when you are up to it.

clareymorris

By the way OWwww!!! How did you manage to do that to yourself?!

MisterT

NEITHER. find a proper Osteopath. they will look holistically at it.

otherwise it's a bit like asking a technology geek how to track your rides. Techy geeks assume you must use technology to fix the problem and they wont consider that paper and pencil might do the trick.

Physios fix the world with physio
    Accu' fix with accu…
    etc.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

mefty – They both popped in quite quickly. I have done them both before a few times but never simultaneously.

Clareymorris – Don't stage dive when there is no crowd to catch you.

Superman dive from 6 feet up onto wet grass using my chin, chest and shoulders to break my fall was a little silly.

mefty
    Free Member

Mine was out for a couple of hours, they like to be sure you can pay your bills in Swiss hospitals and it took three attempts – final one under sedation to get back in.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Left one went in as I bounced off the ground. Right one went in as I ran around to the back of the beer tent. Massive amounts of beer ensured I stayed relaxed that evening but still hurt like fek in the morning.

Taking the marquees down on Monday was fun. Thank goodness I had some of the guests helping me.

kneecap
    Free Member

WCA, bit bias as I'm a physio. Accupunture may make you feel better, but at the end of the day you probably have two naff shoulders that need some serious stabilisation to prevent it happening again. I like to think most physio's are holistic as we do chiropractor type manipulations-if needed, accupucture-if needed and proper rehab based treatment. I'm a big biker/ski-ier and had more than my fair share of stacks, including knackered shoulder. Shoulders need some hard work to get them back to full strength. Full range of moment may be quick, but proper strengthening takes a load a time.
    Get a decent physio and take time with rehab. Private may cost more, but make sure they are worth it, otherwise NHS you could get an 20 year qualified physio for free! Good luck

gonefishin
    Free Member

Well you're choices seem to be a treatment methodology based on some actual science, or accupunture which isn't.

I know which one I'd choose.

peteimpreza

Nick go see a physio or else jackiehen will batter you

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I am tempted by being battered by Jackie but am thinking physio may be the way.

Recommend me one in Southampton or near either Waterloo or Devonshire Square in London please.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Given a choice between the two – acupuncture. Acupuncture is particularly good for that sort of injury. And as it happens, I'm receiving acupuncture on a weekly basis for shoulder problems at the moment. When I mentioned the problem to my GP he said "stretch exercises" and left it at that. 3 sessions of acupuncture, and my shoulders are almost completely sorted – and that's after many months of the problem. If you do go for acupuncture, I strongly advise you avoid medical stuff who have been on an "acupuncture course" – go to a traditional Chinese doctor…..in the same way that you would buy a curry in an Indian restaurant and not a pizzeria.

NB, many years ago I was told I needed an operation due carpal tunnel syndrome in my left arm, 3 sessions of acupuncture cured it 100% and it never returned.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

ernie – are you the guy at the BBB who put the entire idea of acupuncture into my mind, just to be reinforced by the A&E doctor?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

ernie – are you the guy at the BBB who put the entire idea of acupuncture into my mind

No, it wasn't me.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Acupuncture or Physio for shoulders?’ is closed to new replies.