Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • Actually the past was just great…
  • Cougar

If we’re talking bikes,

I was never allowed a bike as a kid. My mum reckoned I was dangerous enough on foot. I had a car before I had a pedal bike.

jimdubleyou

I see your Grifter and raise you a Boxer…

like a BMX, but much shitter

jambourgie
    Free Member

matt, why is that car any better than the GTIs available now?

Well it looks better for a start. Most new cars just look like generic safety-blobs. Whether they’re worth 6k or 60k.

Cougar

I see your Grifter and raise you a Boxer…

No, the Boxer was definitely lower.

My mate at the time was into his bikes, he and his brother had a Grifter and two Boxers between them. As my mum wouldn’t let me have a bike for safety reasons I spent years hacking about on their cast-off Boxer, clearly it’s far safer to be hurtling down hills on an old ill-maintained bike with no brakes or guards (you could ‘brake’ by putting your foot up on the back tyre).

jambourgie
    Free Member

I had a Grifter. Wasn’t it made out of cast-iron? Got a Raleigh Burner after that which was my pride & joy. Until it got nicked. Something broke inside me that day 😥

samunkim
    Free Member

Chopping up “Fire Bomb Repeaters” to get at the individual canisters.
    Far better than bangers.

Turning every icy hill into a proper slide.

Cougar

I had a Grifter. Wasn’t it made out of cast-iron?

I vaguely remember there was a Mk1 and a Mk2 – the Mk2 was no lightweight but the Mk1 was considerably heavier.

jimdubleyou

I was raising the “it was shit” stakes, not the “it was good” 😛

The boxer was for little kids – I got mine Xmas 1980 I think.

johndoh
    Free Member

Got a Raleigh Burner

Mag Burner or Commoner Burner?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Vesta Chow Mein – soft and crispy noodles

Marathon bars – a bargain 2p versus 3p for a Mars

Fagging 🙂

Atomic ARC skis in 203 size and black and red graphics

CountZero

Boredom was a thing. It lasted hours, days even.
    It wasn’t what happened to you in the 5 seconds before you could press “Skip Ad”

Really? Not a situation I was familiar with, or any of my contemporaries, for that matter, there were always things to do.
    Unless you had absolutely no imagination whatsoever, and I’m fairly certain that is a far more common situation now than then…

Sandwich

This is why the Costa del Sol exists. So like minded aged people can flee the ghastly modern world and seek easier, better times with other like minded people.

They’re about to lose access to NHS treatment if they come back after Brexit poor souls.

JAG

I was 3 in 1970 and 13 in 1980!

I had a Tomahawk (mine was Red) and I always wanted a Grifter.

I loved being bored – it never lasted very long and was always a pre-cursor to a great adventure 😆

chiefgrooveguru

Look at that vertically compliant yet laterally stiff downtube! Thievsey little Jeff Jones…

wilburt
    Free Member

Laundrettes, like tinder and you get your clobber cleaned.

footflaps

and you get your clobber cleaned

I’m hoping that is a euphemism…

darrell
    Free Member

damn I miss the 70s and early 80s

but its an age thing – it wasnt any better or worse

but for me at that time, it was easier and more exciting

redmex
    Free Member

Petrol station kiosks were tiny sheds no cool drinks for sale,so if you were thirsty tough drink out the tap, no chocolate for sale, just a till some oil maybe stp, a nude calender on the wall and if it was Esso you could never get the team token you were looking for just shite teams like Burnley, Preston North End or Bury

PJM1974
    Free Member

objectively: no power steering, no central locking, wind down windows, no abs, no cruise control. etc. Just because you have fond memories of bombing about in one with your mates does not make it better….

Well, it weighed 950Kg and later ones had power steering, electric windows etc and could crack 40mpg. The 16v was a hoot.

Modern cars are nicer places to sit and better made but I’d have more fun throwing an 80s GTI around than the modern iteration.

But nothing comes close to 1980s stinky finger in the park.

neilthewheel

Back in those days, people new how to spell diphtheria.

johndoh
    Free Member

Hurry Neil, you have time…

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Richard Donner films.

derek_starship
    Free Member

70s and 80s for me.

We talked. Endlessly. Instead of standing at the bus stop for school with earphones in and a screen full of eyebrows, bullying posts and pubescent cocks.

I used to get up at 5am on a Saturday and go shooting magpies in the woods with my Webley Vulcan (.22 of course) without worrying about India 99 and an ARV.

No drugs. Just a cheeky pint of Boddies in the “easy” pub – ordered with a contrived deep voice and a smidgen of sister’s mascara to enhance my ‘tache.

Fab times.

And not forgetting the battles in the subway with mini rockets, air bomb repeaters and jet screams…

orangeboy
    Free Member

Unless you have a fair budget modern cars have more grip than power.

The 205 I used to have is similar in weight and power to the c2 I’m stuck with at the moment but the pug was a laugh , maybe slower but you always had a grin.

I don’t have children but none of my friends kids have the freedom I had growing up through the 80s and 90s

orangeboy
    Free Member

Bike wise my 2003 enduro sx is still my preferred ride despite having a good choice for social rides

frankconway

It snowed every winter – real proper snow.

wilburt
    Free Member

Yes I know..I delivered milk from age 12 to 16 start at 4am snow up to your shins, layers of socks and mothers pride bags inside korean army boots still frozen within an hour.

Fit as a fiddle though which I suspect we all were. I can only recall one over weight person in my school which probably the biggest change in the human condition between then and now.

timba
    Free Member

Dad going ballistic:
    a) because of the latest thing that Harold Wilson did/said
    b) petrol hitting 50p per gallon

Canal freezing over every year; the Grand Union isn’t very deep
    Mum taking a whole gang of us to the circus in a Ford Anglia van, a circus with animals
    Esso World Cup Coin Collection, “swappsies”, loads of swappsies
    Grandad’s Ford Pop. Semaphore signals and opening flaps below the windscreen for air con
    Wagon Wheels that were the size of an actual wagon wheel (it seemed)

nickc

My 20 year old son talks in exactly the same way about the early 2000’s

go figure…

Douglas Adams said:

“I’ve come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
    1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
    2. Anything that’s invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
    3. Anything invented after you’re thirty-five is against the natural order of things.”

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Beef dripping sandwiches. (That’s going back a bit, mind…)

deadkenny
    Free Member

rumbledethumps – Member 
    Richard Donner films.

First time watching Superman, and biggest screen, the opening credits was enough to blow you away. Just epic. The film was in love with itself (or Donner was in love with the film).

These days it would bore kids and doesn’t contain enough whiz bang CG effects bombarding their senses every 15 seconds to keep them from their phones.

And then of course The Omen, though was way too young to watch that, but think must have been around 8 or 9 and someone had a VCR(might have been Betamax!) and a copy of The Omen, so we sort of watched it skipping through to the good stuff, then of course scared the crap out of me with the glass scene. Was also just impressive that you could watch a film when you wanted on a VCR and the ability to pause, fast forward and rewind them was amazing.

nickc

to pause, fast forward and rewind them was amazing.

you were easily pleased. 😆

badnewz
    Free Member

to pause, fast forward and rewind them was amazing.

Especially if it involved boobs

P-Jay
    Free Member

PJM1974 – Member

objectively: no power steering, no central locking, wind down windows, no abs, no cruise control. etc. Just because you have fond memories of bombing about in one with your mates does not make it better….

Well, it weighed 950Kg and later ones had power steering, electric windows etc and could crack 40mpg. The 16v was a hoot.

Modern cars are nicer places to sit and better made but I’d have more fun throwing an 80s GTI around than the modern iteration.

Erm…

I had one – 40mpg? Not if the engine was running. High 20’s on a motorway run, still petrol was 50p a litre or less.

It was a lot of fun to drive, they’re not especially fast by modern standards, but it’s a road car, not a race car so more fun at a lower speed seems like a good plan to me.

I’d love another one, but it would sit in my garage and come out when I’ve got a couple of hours to take it for a drive, probably down memory lane. I wouldn’t rely on it to get me to Mid Wales next week, or Healthrow the week after.

This is one of those Nokia arguments isn’t it. “Oh wern’t they wonderful, the best phone ever, none better – Oh you can still buy them? Oh no thanks – I’ll have an iPhone please”.

There’s always someone looking for a car on STW – here’s one

MK2 Golf

It’s in slightly rough but very original condition for £3k – if you’ve got £6k to spend which isn’t a huge amount these days you could have a full engine rebuild, new suspection and brakes, rust repair and maybe enough to make it look fresh and new again if the paint isn’t too bad. If you had £10k It could be for all intents and purposes like when it rolled off the line in 1991 (but it’s still very much an 80s car) – it wouldn’t even be such a bad investment – really nice ones are being offered for sale for £15k upwards.

Northwind

nickc – Member

3. Anything invented after you’re thirty-five is against the natural order of things.”

Unless it was trailed in sci-fi. I’m absolutely fine with my smartphone tricorder.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I had one – 40mpg? Not if the engine was running. High 20’s on a motorway run, still petrol was 50p a litre or less.

So did I, a Mk2 16v no less. No matter how hard I drove it, I could never get less than 31mpg out of it. A motorway run usually had me averaging 40mpg.

I’d love another one too, but the issue with the 16v is petrol – they like 98RON minimum and 97RON super unleaded can leave them breathless and drops power by an appreciable amount. You can’t adjust the timing to retune them to lower rated fuel, as the K-Jetronic ignition system is mechanical and will just reset itself to default tune. There are options to install an aftermarket EMU or to rip the engine out, refit with a modern(ish) SEAT two litre 16v unit or even a 1.8T (or a VR6, but that makes handling very nose heavy).

I always have a moment of longing when looking at second hand Golfs on the internet (I had a “discussion” with Mrs PJM when Vicki Butler-Henderson’s GTI 16v came on the market a few years back), but a seventeen owner car with rust, UV induced matte paintwork, no MOT and ten years missing paperwork for an optimistic £3k will never be anything more than a money pit.

If I had unlimited means, I’d buy two.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yup, the past was awesome..

samunkim
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD2LlKuWHwk[/video]

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Actually the past was just great…’ is closed to new replies.