Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Actual Shimano Cage length
  • Gibbysrabbit
    Free Member

I’m trying to work out what cage length I have on my current mech – am I being blind or is it not marked on it?
    I’m using a triple chainset so I know I should be going for SGS (longcage) mech but I think I’m currently using a medium with no problems.

I found this showing actual cage lengths
    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/derailers-rear.html
    But my mech’s about 78mm center to center.
    I’ve also found somewhere that Shimano long cage may now be 100mm?

Gibbysrabbit
    Free Member

No ideas?

andyl
    Free Member

some of the older ones where not as long.

Look for your model on the shimano tech docs and open the instruction sheet. If you have an older one for 43T capacity then it will be about 85-90mm. If you have a newer one for 45T capacity it will be 100+.

To find out the capacity you need then it is (large ring + large sprocket)-(small ring + small sprocket).

Of course you should never use these combinations anyway but your chain will be sized on large-large + 1 link.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Mister-P
    Free Member

Stick a picture up, it should be fairly obvious. If you can’t do a photo then get the model number off the back of it and stick that on here.

andyl
    Free Member

oh and yes you have a GS by the sounds of it. Pretty obvious if it’s 78mm. It’s either the SGS or the GS they don’t bother marking.

I think GS is actually classed as long and SGS extra long. But most people refer to them as medium and long.

Gibbysrabbit
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, as Andy says they put the model number (M662) on but not the cage size.
    Pretty sure I’ve medium so will stick with another medium.

andyl
    Free Member

work out your gear capacity. I would always go for an SGS cage on a triple front set up unless using an 11-28 cassette which is very unlikely.

Gibbysrabbit
    Free Member

(44+32)-(22+11) = 43
    I know i technically should be using a SGS cage but the mech I have has been faultless for 2 years and don’t want to go longer for no reason – just more to knock of rocks!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Actual Shimano Cage length’ is closed to new replies.