Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Active Travel Bill in Wales. Sounds good for cyclists.
  • “A law intended to help people in Wales become healthier, more active and more environmentally aware will be launched later.”

I don’t know if this will really be as good as they make out.
    “Councils will be required to connect key sites such as hospitals, schools and shopping areas with traffic-free routes and cycle lanes.”
    I think the key word here is “connect”, which implies you will be able to cycle non-stop from one place to another, rather than the scattered bits of useless cycle lane that are so common now.

As usual with these type of projects, it makes no mention of secure parking.
    It’s not much help having a traffic free ride to the hospital, school or shopping area if your bike’s not there when you come out again.

rusty90
    Free Member

Unless the WAG also make funding available it will just result in more useless cycle lanes consisting solely of lines painted on tarmac.

I share your cynicism. Local authorities haven’t got a good track record of providing good cycling facilities.
    There’s a ray of hope with phrases like “…have to make it easier for more people to walk and cycle….” and “…required to connect key sites…” though.
    It suggests that someone who actually knows what they are doing will be involved in the planning, or at least measuring the success afterwards.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    LoCo
    Free Member

It’s fairly good up here in the Valleys already, can get the 15 miles to work using only a couple hundred metres of road all the rest cyclepaths 😀 Alot of old industrial and branch railway lines have been tarmaced over the last few years.

Russell96

Pretty good up here in parts of North East Wales and going to get better as they are part way thru building the Deeside-Neston link.

officialtob
    Free Member

I have fingers crossed that it will mean some more proper cycle paths in Cardiff. Unlikely, I know, however crossing fingers never does any harm.

The taff-trail (which runs from the very south of Cardiff right up to mid-wales) is a god-send to me – even with all the dog walkers and iPod zombies. More taff-trails please. That is all.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Active Travel Bill in Wales. Sounds good for cyclists.’ is closed to new replies.