• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by gary.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Acromioclavicular (AC) Joint Separation
  • peachos
    Free Member

Did my shoulder a couple of weeks ago. Been diagnosed as grade 2 so no operation advised, which is a good thing but a bit concerned about the effect this may have in the future.

I imagine there are a few of you out there that have suffered this injury – how long before i should get back on the bike? any implications you have realised? and any advice on building my shoulder back up?

thanks in advance.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Was back on road bike after a Grade III AC sep last year in about 5 weeks. Hurt though!!

Off roading in 8 weeks.

No problems riding now, just uncomfortable lying on right hand side.

Physio is key. Good luck and make sure you do the exercises.

geoffj

Did mine in June (grade 2/3).

Off the mtb for 8 weeks. Road riding after 3 weeks.

It’s still sore sometimes, but still getting better / stronger.

Bit of a lump on my shoulder, but nowt else to show for it.

Swimming helped mine alot.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Grade 2 on my left shoulder a few years back. Still get the odd ache. Didn’t ride for a couple of months but luckily had a good physio at work.

mrh86

Grade 3 here 10 weeks ago now. Was able to ride on the road after 3 weeks, but still haven’t been back off road. Hopefully be able to get out this week.

Don’t know if this is going to get any better but at the moment press ups seem like they might be an activity of the past. As well as chin ups.

sockpuppet

mine is fine for riding too – was back on the road after about three weeks, off road confidence took a little longer, but returned – and the shoulder has survived several big offs without further pain or damage. that was all a few years go now.

was initially concerned that wearing a rucksack would be uncomfortable, but that proved groundless.

it still doesn’t like decorating though. doesn’t get me out of doing it, it just hurts!

supertacky
    Free Member

Did my right ac about three years ago grade 2/3 no operation needed. Really painfull. No riding for about 5 weeks then very light XC. Back out DH bike gingerly after about 8 or 9 weeks. Got progressivly stronger and has healed very well.

Only sore now on cold damp days. Full movment and no repeat.

learned to roll when crashing. ;-))

MikeWW
    Free Member

Grade 4 here. Operation inside 2 weeks but been 10 weeks and still not back off road. Been on the road for the last 3 weeks but still sore

Think with a grade 2 and 6 weeks or so and you will be fine

peachos
    Free Member

cheers all very positive then in terms of any long term hindrance. i’ve got a few sports physio mates so going to get some advice from them for exercises as the doc just gave me some vary basic ones.

did any of you wear a figure of 8 brace? i did mine out in france and was told to wear one for a few weeks; it basically pulls the clavicle down to near where it should be with the aim of closing the gap between the two bones aiding healing. but the doc over here said they don’t generally prescribe them any more and told me to use it if i thought it was helping.

as for no more pressups…i’m sure i can live with that!!

do you still get that horrible feeling sometimes when you perform certain movements and you can feel two bones rubbing against one another, or does that eventually go?

ps. supertacky – i did roll really well. kinda wish i’d stuck a hand out or something!

ajc
    Free Member

Did mine quite badly about 12 years ago. Still can’t sleep on my side and can get aggrivated quite easily. Getting 80% better was quick, its the final amount you have to work at and plenty of physio and actually doing the exercises your given helps.

peachos
    Free Member

there’s always one eh ajc 😆

cheers though, i’m desperate to get to as full strength as possible as apart from biking i snowboard a lot so got all the motivation to do the exercises!

mrh86
    joolsburger
    Free Member

Three weeks off then two weeks of gentle xc then back to normal, odd twinge now and again but basically fine.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I did a grade 3 early last winter. Bad pain at first, but managed to ski-tour on it 8 days after the accident, and then every w/e for the rest of the winter. Still gives a bit of discomfort – more when XC rather than DH.

juan
    Free Member

I quite not get you GP. Did he gave you no physio at all 8O. That sounds just plain stupid. Get a second appointment and tell him you want some physio. Got both shoulder done twice. No surgery needed, but due to the very good care of the physio, I was back on the mat after 5 weeks.

gary

No surgery needed, but due to the very good care of the physio, I was back on the mat after 5 weeks.

Probably worth pointing out that Juan means judo by back on the mat.

I’ve done mine twice (also judo) but couldn’t tell you what grade, but I would guess 1/2. My recovery time for judo was about the same as Juan but judo puts “interesting” unpredictable loads on the shoulder, you can get on the bike more quickly but you will need to adjust to whatever your shoulder will let you do so it depends whether by back on the bike you mean commuting or competitive downhilling 🙂

I seem to recall pulling hard on the bars while out of the saddle being a bad idea.

And the good news, that was all 20 years ago and I can sleep on either shoulder again now 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Acromioclavicular (AC) Joint Separation’ is closed to new replies.