Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Acid after shed loads of energy stuff
  • Spud

Did SITS solo for the first time at the weekend, so 24hrs of energy stuff and normal food. Since Sunday evening though I've been suffering from acid (well that's all I can put it down to) quite badly. Anyone else get/ had this?

carlosg
    Free Member

I did Liverpool to Leeds along the canal for charity a couple of years ago and apart from a couple of sarnies in the middle of the day survived on gel sachets / energy bars / energy drink.

at the end (apart from the worn skin on my perenium,very ouch)inside my mouth felt really sore and I also had bad acid for about 3-4 days , it's probably the energy stuff causing it. Try some milk of magnesia or similar and if there's no improvement in another couple of days go see the doc's.

jonathan
    Free Member

Yep – energy drinks etc can be a stomach disaster. Had somehting very similar on my first solo. Last few hours were very uncomfortable – struggling not to boke on the last few laps.

You live and learn – energy drinks were severely rationed on later solos. Food/drink consumption for 24hr solo takes a few events to get sorted for you – it's a very personal thing.

crazy-legs

Trying to survive on energy gels/bars is a recipe for disaster, they really upset your digestion. As Jonathan said, it often takes a while to work out dietary requirements for 12 and 24hr enduros. You can't really get by without energy products but you really need to minimise their use as much as possible.

I mix and match brands for drinks, gels, bars etc. No one supplier does everything right. Torq gels and recovery stuff is lovely but I don't like their energy drink, I use High5 for that.
    I find fruit helps a lot with settling the stomach and cleaning out the nasty sticky "flavour" in my mouth.

Try drinking lots of milk and water, take some Rennie or similar. Get well soon!

Spud

Ta, at least it seems that's what is up. I was running on Go for the race/ water & squash when in and then the odd gel when out on laps. Other than that I was (surprisingly for me with a sweet tooth) on pasta/ rice etc. Like you say learn from it for next time.

bearGrease

This thread wasn't about what I thought it was going to be about. Shame.

bent_udder
    Free Member

I get the same sort of thing – and go one way or the other on feeding on long rides. I'll either crave savoury or sweet food. I find sweet food (Haribo, jelly beans etc) or gels / energy bars give me bad acid stomach, so tend to also pack antacids as well. Generally a couple of energy gels or energy bars in a row will give me gutrot.

One other option is to make your own energy bars. There is a fairly reasonable recipe at Bike Mag that's a bit fiddly, but you can tweak it. The no-bake bar's pretty good, but I tend to use more dried fruit than peanut butter.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I've suffered from Acid reflux for years and i've found the best thing to get rid of it is to put a teaspoon of Bicarbonate of Soda in a glass an add water, stir well and drink. Job done, acid gone. Beats any of the rubbish you can buy over the counter and cheaper too.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Acid after shed loads of energy stuff’ is closed to new replies.