Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Achilles tendinitis, how long to recover?
  • flip456
    Free Member

I some how managed to injury both of my ankles about a month ago and foolishly hoped the pain would just go away. Finally been to the docs today and have been diagnosed with achilles tendinitis and pescribed Diclofenac. That’s all fine and i’ll just get on with it, but when i asked how long recovery would take she had no idea!

I’m sure some of you stwers must have suffered from this, how long before you were fighting fit? Help, i’m fed up of hobbling round like an old man :o(

DrP

Plan for 3 months, then when it takes 2.5 months you won’t be disappointed….
    Most get better in 1-2, but it can push on a bit.

DrP

djglover
    Free Member

If it is severe 2-3 months. Had peroneal tendonitis last autumn and it ruined my target race for the year. took agest to heal

Preventative action required after recovery = foam roller, core strength and cross train

flip456
    Free Member

Really, as long as that 8O. I was advised not to run i assume gentle cycling will be ok.

DrP

Gentle being the key word.
    Anti-inflammatories, eccentric loading exercises (Lowering yourself down on the affected leg, not raising), and in some cases, an anti-anginal patch can help!

DrP

mikey74
    Free Member
    mccraque

it’s a total ballache.

Mine came on – both ankles – within a month of one another. I tried all sorts of things. Phyisio, rest, night splints to stretch it out when in bed (the most uncomortable thing EVER).

I ended up seeing a podiastrist who analysed my running technique and provided me with some orthotics to put in my running trainers. It just raises the heel slightly so as not to over pressurise it.

Additionally, I have embarked on a more rigorous stretching regime. Back, hamstrrings, calves as well as ankles themselves.

All in all….it’s taken me about 18 months but is much improved.

Cycling seems to shorten everything and therefore irritate indirectly the tendonitis…

Milkie
    Free Member

Took me over 6 months of physio (nearer a year before it was a non issue), but that’s because I ignored it for a while and ended up tearing my calve and the muscle between calve and Achilles.

Good luck with the recovery!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Been over two years here and it’s still not right. Really depends how bad it’s got though.

zilog6128

I ended up seeing a podiastrist who analysed my running technique and provided me with some orthotics to put in my running trainers. It just raises the heel slightly so as not to over pressurise it.

would a simpler solution not be to just change to a midfoot strike?

daveh
    Free Member

2 yrs!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well second year has been complicated by ligament damage around the ankle. Still not running properly on it.

anonymouse
    Free Member

It’ll never get better; you are going to die.

surfer
    Free Member

Eccentric exercises as DrP mentions above. Dont do any stretching and dont touch it!
    All IMO of course but in my experience the last two just prolong it and make it worse. oh and that includes letting anybody else touch it! dont be tempted to massage or let a physio star rubbing it!!

If it is very bad or advanced then the above may be wrong but for general soreness and a little bit of inflamation which is what I and many runners experience on and off it best to not touch it but keep it active and dont let it stiffen up.
    Exercise as much as you can as long as it doesnt induce pain either during or after. A small amount of discomfort when your warming up is OK but not too much.
    Its one of the few injuries that you can train through as long as you modify your training and let pain be your guide.
    It may take a while to disapear totally though 🙁

Also check the obvious and make sure your shoes arent rubbing (unlikely) and some people put heel raises in their shoes but thats never worked for me.

chaos

surfer

There’s your answer. Frequent application of icy cold water (i.e. in the sea) to the area plus an active lifestyle (surfing/running to beach carrying board/etc).

I jest not; I’m pretty sure windsurfing has helped me in this respect.

damo2576
    Free Member

Just been diagnosed with this this morning! Not sure where it’s come from as only just recovering from knee arthoscopy!

Anyway, for me it seems its
    – rest
    – gentle turbo c30mins
    – physio (ultrasound and some massage/stretching of the tendon)
    – eccentric loading

Wonder though, and forgot to ask Physio – is swimming ok?

surfer
    Free Member

@damo

Sorry to hear that.
    As I suggested above, let pain be your guide. I would think swimming is absolutely fine.
    Still wouldn’t allow the “physio” myself. Ultrasound maybe but the whole rubbing/stretching/prodding thing never provides any benefit in my experience.

damo2576
    Free Member

Cheers, will do some research on the massage/rubbing issue.

Right pain, was just starting my build for summer!

aracer
    Free Member

would a simpler solution not be to just change to a midfoot strike?

You’re suggesting somebody who already has an injury tries to change their running style (to one which actually puts more stress on the achilles)? 😯 I’d kind of expect more than heel lifts from a podiatrist, but they’re a very effective immediate way of taking the strain off the achilles to allow it to recover (you can just stick foam pads in the heels of your shoes).

Personally I’ve been to the physio with such injuries and always felt it’s done me good. However I definitely recommend also going to see a podiatrist to see if you’ve got some mechanical problem causing it – in the case of my long term achilles problems I did and orthotics largely fixed it. To some extent I’ve always seen the physio as treating a symptoms and the podiatrist as fixing the cause – though that’s being a little unfair on my current physio who’s certainly done a very good job of diagnosing the causes of other injuries.

I also generally reckon with these sorts of injuries that gentle exercise which doesn’t hurt but gets them moving does them good – I’ve never had a problem with cycling when I’ve had such injuries, but swimming should also be good if it’s pain free (I’d recommend easing off on the push-offs).

athgray
    Free Member

I used to be racked with pain in both my achilles tendons after sport and hill walking, until one ruptured playing football. Turns out I am flat footed and the tendons dont run straight up and down the leg. Now wear inserts that not only raise the heel but also raise the instep thus straightening the tendon.

aracer
    Free Member

Sounds kind of similar to me – and probably similar to a lot of people with achilles problems (and an awful lot of people who don’t but would if they took up running). Mine are effectively canting my feet to realign everything.

Northwind

I had a mild case a while back after a combination of a rubbing shoe and a push-up race (pretty sure I’m the only person ever to wound themselves pushing a downhill bike up a hill). Still not 100% fixed, I had to rest it for about 3 weeks then returned to normal use, at which point it was still painful but continued to recover.

damo2576
    Free Member

Well just a quick post for others who may be suffering, those eccentric loading exercises really work! Almost like the pain goes away afterwards for a short while!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Achilles tendinitis, how long to recover?’ is closed to new replies.