Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Achilles problems, shoes too old?
  • DT78
    Free Member

So weirdly over xmas my right achilles started to really hurt, never happened before, no change in kit or bike fit, just up’d my road mileage I normally do at that time of the year.

I rested it a week, it went away, I rode my mountain bike with no issues including pushing some climbs pretty hard. All good. Went for my first hard road ride yesterday and its hurting again, around 4 weeks after it first started hurting.

This has got me thinking, is it potentially something to do with my road shoes wearing out and maybe I’m getting heel lift in them now? How long do road shoes normally last? They have covered around 3400 miles which have been pain free so far. The cleats are the same age too.

Any one had a similar niggle and what did you do to sort it?

DT78
    Free Member

No one else had any AT issues then? Just me 🙁

old_mtber
    Free Member

I’ve had endless AT problems over the years. I have to say not necessarily caused by riding itself. Pushing up steep hills causing over stretch, old shoes, an imbalance in leg length that seems to kick in occasionally. Also suddenly upping the mileage or tampering with your bike set up, especially saddle height can cause problems.
    I used to run a lot and I suspect this has led to a weak tendon.
    Physio is probably the answer if it persists; but finding a good one is not always easy.
    Lots of video on the web that shows how to massage – find the one that suits you best.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Achilles problems, shoes too old?’ is closed to new replies.