Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Acer Netbook Linux help
  • brant
    Free Member

My daughter has one of them Acer Linux Netbooks, and exhibits an "error 18", like as described on this page here – http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1025718

Reading through that thread, well, I've not got a clue to be honest.

Can anyone sort it for me if I send it them?

tia.

paulosoxo
    Free Member
    soma_rich
    Free Member

I would echo Paulosoxo. If its not even booting that doesnt leave many options. Does it have a CD drive?
    If not put Unbuntu on a USB stick and you might even manage to save the files on the Netbook.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    retro83
    Free Member

has it just started doing this out of nowhere or did you upgrade the software or change any hardware?

brant
    Free Member

She has no files on it to be honest – just uses it for MSN and facebook as far as I can tell.

I have a mac running OS X, and a couple of PC's running Vista, and not a clue.

Stoner
    Free Member

I have the aspire one that came with the thin linux OS. Im afraid Im a luddite and pulled it off, replacing with an XP build from a USB stick.

I read that you can make an easy Linux recovery unit with a 1Gb stick. Let me go look…

EDIT: is yours the Linpus build?
    try this http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/09/05/ten_aspire_one_tips/ – it tells you how to make the recovery stick.

grahamb
    Free Member

If you can get to the (normally hidden) grub menu, you might find that there's a backup kernel you can boot from. Try hitting tab intermittently between the screen clearing after the initial bios messages & getting the error 18. You'll hopefully be presented by a menu that lists the kernels you can boot from, with the default one being highlighted. If it shows more than one, use the cursor keys to select the another one & hit return or "b". It should boot normally if there's nothing else wrong.

If that doesn't work then as others have suggested a live USB key rescue image would be the next step. Be aware though that if the filesystem is a bit corrupt & you run an "fsck" (filesystem check) on it you might do more damage that someone else could recover.

That grub error 18 to me suggests that there's some filesystem corruption. As you get as far as that error, the grub bootloader is ok, the filesystem is partially ok as it can access the grub.conf configuration file, but there's an issue with the disk address the kernel is at.

brant
    Free Member

Thanks all.
    Got a USB Key boot disc thing set up, and ran Rescue-Remix which suggests lots of disc errors.

It's broked.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Acer Netbook Linux help’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts