Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Acer laptop not booting up properly
  • Nipper99
    Free Member

Acer Aspire IV (Windows Eight) about 3 years old won’t boot up properly gets so far and then freezes and I have to switch the power off. It started operating slowly over the w/e so I used the refresh tool in the recovery options which seemed to improve matters for a while.

As I can’t seem to find anywhere to quirt WD40 in any meaningful way and it doesn’t have H and L or B screws I’m now lost. Is there anything I can try or is it down to PC World for repair/scrapping.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Boot from recovery media? USB or DVD to see if it does then back up everything and try a reinstall?

stumpy01

I think Acer laptops have a recovery partition in them….

Apparently you press Alt & keep hitting F10 when you start it to enter the recovery partition….this will restore it to how it came out of the factory.

I think you will lose all data on the laptop, so this is a last resort, even if you have a back-up.

Have you tried boot in safe mode? I think that is normally hit f8 repeatedly on start-up.

Cougar

won’t boot up properly gets so far and then freezes

How far is “so far”?

hols2
    Free Member

Could be a failing hard disk. I would try booting from a recovery disk then running disk check.

Cougar

Could just be software rather than physical, but yes, the same procedure would apply.

Is it W8 or W8.1?

Nipper99
    Free Member

Sometimes it won’t let me get past the log in page and then sometimes it will get to the normal screen but not allow any of the applications to run when you click an icon.

I think it is windows 8.1.

Cougar

It’s not failing to boot then, it’s booting up just fine.

Can you bring it up in Safe Mode?
    https://www.howtogeek.com/107511/how-to-boot-into-safe-mode-on-windows-8-the-easy-way/

Nipper99
    Free Member

Thanks for that link Cougar – I’ll give that a go.

timba
    Free Member

If you don’t have a current back up then try a Linux download, boot from that and run it as a Live CD. It’ll hopefully allow you to copy your files (unless it’s an encrypted hard drive) to an external drive

The hard drive makers often have a bootable piece of software on their website to tell you if the drive is failing

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Acer laptop not booting up properly’ is closed to new replies.