Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Accurate tyre pressure gauge for road bike pressures.
  • Suggsey
    Free Member

It would seem my trusty old analogue tyre pressure gauge is now wildly inaccurate, don’t know why but seems to be reading way under from the squeeze the tyre and comparing it yo the fat bike tyre pressure gauge (only reads up to 50psi so no good for my needs). So recommendations please for ideally cheap, reliable up to 120psi pressure gauges please.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not seen one for sale for ages. Not looked mind!

Suggsey
    Free Member

So bike shop mechanics/regular roadies do you just use the press it with your thumb measurement method? Im just concerned about over inflation and resulting bead tear/explosion vs me rolling the tyre of the rim. (17 stone).

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Topeak do a digital one that works at road bike pressures

StirlingCrispin

I have a Topeak Smarthead D2 Digital Pressure Gauge.

Does up to 250 psi. I’ve only used it up to 70psi, but it’s a very good piece of kit (had another brand before but that died on the first battery change).

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP pretty much all track pumps have them.

thetallman
    Free Member

Had a couple of the older style Topeak gauges for about ten years now ( one in bag, one in toolbox ) and they’ve both been very reliable.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies folks guess I’ll invest in the Topeak …..my track pump ((Joe Blow) has one but it reads 10psi under at 30psi so dread to think of its inaccuracy at 100-120psi.

mattyfez

Yeh I’ve been happy with my topeak d2.. Not had it very long and only used at mtb pressures.. But it’s rated much higher.

Easy to use, and the movable nozzle is a nice touch, as is the switch from Presta to shrader, easy to use with Presta which I have..just shove it on and hold it in place. The pressure release button is a nice touch too so you can pump a bit higher and let out a few PSI on the display for a precise pressure.

Not the cheapest guage but you couldn’t really ask for more features, and it seems well made.. Hopefully it will be with me for many years to come.

It’s a good compliment to my cheap track pump which pumps well but the guage built into is is completely useless.

scotlandthedave
    Free Member

Second the Topeak d2 – used on my shock (130psi), forks, road bike and fat bike (8psi) as well as both cars. slightly fiddly on prestas to get seated and loves turning itself off after 5s, but a great bit of kit overall.

mattyfez

Yeh it does power off a bit quickly.. If I’m faffing a bit and turn it on, then have to spin the wheel round a bit for a good angle on the valve it’s often gone to sleep, but i suppose the battery will last longer that way.

The trick is, I think, is to make sure your valves are in a good place before turning it on! That’s my only minor niggle with it.

I find it fine with Presta but you do need to make sure you line it up before shoving it on or it just won’t engage.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Cheers ordered one just now. 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Accurate tyre pressure gauge for road bike pressures.’ is closed to new replies.