Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Accurate-ish Weather Forecasting. How far ahead?
  • Jamie
    Free Member

Snappy title eh?

Anyway, I am planning to do a 10km run in Loxley Valley, Sheff on the 6th December. Thing is when I signed up to do it last year it got postponed due to snowmageddon. This was a bit of a problem as I drove up from P’boro to do it, so couldn’t get to the rearranged date and driving itself was a pain in the arse. With this in mind, how far in advance can something like the snow storms be predicted. Or is it a case of just gamble and hope for the best?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

48hrs. Any more and it starts getting waaay too variable to rely on, in general.

Snow is even harder to forecast in the UK

Jamie
    Free Member

Bum. And there was me hoping science could see it a month or so ahead.

Ah well. Gamble it is.

donsimon
    Free Member

Are you joking? 5 mins would appear to be a problem unless unpredicatable is accepted as being accurate.
    In which case the long term forecast is unpredicatable.

thepurist

Check a few different medium/long range forecasting sites – they’ll start quite similar for +12/24hrs then diverge somewhere between +3 and +5 days and probably change with each update. When/if they start to stabilise and converge on the same forecast you can begin to think about the possibility of them perhaps not being totally incorrect.

But there again last week the evening news was full of warnings of 60mm+ of rain overnight, and it was bone dry in the morning so that’s a pretty major fail at around 6hrs notice.

I blame the butterflies.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Accurate-ish Weather Forecasting. How far ahead?’ is closed to new replies.