Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • According to Strava this is a hazardous section and so no recording takes place.
  • loddrik
    Free Member

I mean look at it, it’s bloody terrifying…

[IMG]http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a491/loddrik1/20140425_102453_zpsjhwm8yxe.jpg[/IMG]

mrblobby
    Free Member

Probably someone had a tantrum at their KOM being pinched and reported the segment as dangerous 🙂

scotroutes

Shared use, innit.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dknwhy

On a summer day, full of families walking around and dog walkers it probably is.

wwaswas

It’s because it’s a shared use path.

Anyone can ride a segment and then challenge it as ‘dangerous’ Strava then decide if it is or not.

I wouldn’t fancy walking the family along there with EPO’d up roadies screaming “STRAAAVVVAAAAA RUUUUUN!” at us as they approach at 30mph 😉

loddrik
    Free Member

Don’t make sense that it gets busy. Church St, in the city centre, the busiest pedestrianised street in the city is recordable, and that is always packed with people.

I can only assume its because of the river.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Good, I’m glad, for reasons stated above

wwaswas

the busiest pedestrianised street in the city is recordable

challenge it and it’ll be removed.

As above, someone lost their KOM and the toys went out the pram.

AD

Surely its because someone who has ridden it has decided to flag it as dangerous? Nothing to do with ‘Strava’ as such.
    There are loads of segments that are flagged in the Lakes for random reasons (and no doubt some for very good reasons like crossing a main road)- just recreate it if you’re bothered… 🙂

scotroutes

It’s just that no one has reported it yet. Expect to see more of this as the general public become more aware of Strava.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Church St, in the city centre, the busiest pedestrianised street in the city is recordable, and that is always packed with people.

That too should also be flagged by Strava

theflatboy
    Free Member

The two people in the distance in the bottom picture are enough to make it pretty obvious that trying to set Strava records along there is a bad idea, to be fair.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i report shared use as dangerous segments also.

its just stupidity to have it as a segment.

I got **** off when riding home from work I just about got taken out by a roadie who was out to set a fast time at peak hours on a shared use railway line…..

D0NK

If it is shared use then strava-ing it is pretty dodgy, tempted to flag a run on my commute, shared use, blind corners (and next to a train line which is where I assume the current 60mph KOM came from a few people in second place with 40mph too)

wwaswas

i report shared use as dangerous segments also

including bridleways?

D0NK

including bridleways?

roads are shared use aswell.

In this case I think most people are using “shared use” for specific types of path, promenades, parks, stuff where people/families generally meander about*.

The whole concept of KOMs is on dodgy ground so a certain amount of self regulation is required non?

*i know people can meander on BWs but the sheep like behaviour seen on this sort of “shared use” is on a whole other level to most BWs I’ve used.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Shared use, innit.

So is every road and bridleway.

trail_rat
    Free Member

whats a bridleway ? sounds very english.

think about the speed difference between the bikes and the pedestrians.

Where as on the road with the cars its the cyclist thats going to come off worse.

anyway things came to a head when pissed off walkers started spreading tacks on the shared use paths…..

buck53

Is it not just because it’s in Liverpool? 😉

wwaswas

I was playing devils advocate.

I agree that ‘wander beside the sea/river/canal/reservoir/sewage works outfall’ type paths are not the place for trying to get quick times.

Some bridleways probably fall in the same category, tbh, but most don’t

nikk
    Free Member

The whole concept of KOMs is on dodgy ground quite sad.

FIFY

loddrik
    Free Member

the busiest pedestrianised street in the city is recordable

This section is on there, it’s been labelled ‘people dodging’.

fr0sty
    Free Member

If you want to compare your speed/fitness against others, pick a road segment. if you want to compare your skill then pick a trail segment.

Thats a pavement in my eyes and anyone with a bee in their bonnet about it being flagged as dangerous is missing the point entirely.

loddrik
    Free Member

Just to clarify, I don’t record to set times, I’m not that good. I’m pretty sure I’ve never ridden any ‘section’, let alone a pedestrianised one, with the aim of beating others. I do record rides for the routes though and just found if strange that this section never records.

AD

I’m guessing Nikk hasn’t got any KOM’s… 🙂

mav12
    Free Member

i ride that most mornings and evenings it can be a pain when its sunny with dog walkers and them sodding 40ft leads and you wouldnt want to after dark down there 😀

mooman
    Free Member

I find it harder to believe that people would make that footpath a strava segment anyways.

DougD

Doesn’t flagging it as dangerous just mean that there is no longer a leaderboard? Your time for the segment should still record under ‘this effort’

richpips
    Free Member

Before Strava existed, I use to ride the promenade often, If it was quiet you could go quite fast, I imagine with a following wind the KOM would be around 30 mph.

However on a nice sunny day, there are kids, dogs and long fishing rods to avoid so not really the place to ride fast.

Was that the only off road segment in Liverpool? 😆

whatnobeer
    Free Member

There’s about 10 segments over the Tay Road bridge in and out of Dundee. Mostly called things like “Tay Road Bridge South – NOT BLOODY DANGEROUS!!!11!”. Makes me laugh, it’s shared use and very narrow, definitely not Strava appropriate.

t-p26
    Free Member

Nearby there were some fabulous cheeky trails, then somebody stalked a local`s straffa account and the next thing you know a thin trail is two metres wide because of the whores that followed said follower.
    The land owner(National Trust) has had these segments removed…with good reason. We just need them to dry out out now eh Jamie 😉

jimc101
    Free Member

A big flaw with Strava is flagging segments, is it only takes one; segments really should be put on probation (of some sort), and voted on (or similar), as noted above, it will be someone who has lost their KOM and is having a sad on.

For that promenade being dangerous, time of day / conditions are everything, looks pretty safe & empty when the photo was taken.

robhughes
    Free Member

WHATNOBEER…..I don’t suppose you still have that exra soft lyrik spring i sold to you do you?
    Can you mail me if you want to sell it back.Cheers bud..

Scapegoat

Is the “downhill red horror” at Waterdale ( Philips Park) still flagged as dangerous?

BristolPablo
    Free Member

I do struggle to see the fascination with segments that lack any discernible climb, the clue is in the name…

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘According to Strava this is a hazardous section and so no recording takes place.’ is closed to new replies.