Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Accomodation advice Avoriaz
  • pinch_flat
    Free Member

So I’m looking at accomodation options for next year’s biking holiday and we are considering Avoriaz, anyone recommend a chalet or company for a group to stay in Avoriaz?. We’ve previously done Les Gets so are looking to base ourselves closer to Switzerland to try trails we’ve never managed to reach before.

godzilla
    Free Member

Avoriaz is a ghost town in summer, it’s very easy to get to Avoriaz from Morzine, 2 lifts and a transition.

deadkenny
    Free Member

^^^ this. It’s basically shut in summer. Might be able to get a cheap chalet rent but Avoriaz is mainly big blocks that would be shut. Stayed in Ardent one year which was also pretty much shut, but places were doing cheap rents. Bit out of the way but cheap and quiet compared to Morzine. Sadly the lift there was also shut.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nickjb
    Free Member

As above, stay in Morzine. The main benefit over les gets is that you can ride Switzerland until quite late and as long you get the mosettes lift before it shuts you can roll back home. Chatel is another option as nice town with some accommodation options but still pretty quiet if you really want to be further over.

larkim
    Free Member

Avoriaz is definitely not shut in the summer, having just been up there. But it is just purpose built small skiing apartments in big accommodation blocks. Morzine is a quick up and over, but will be expensive relative to the smaller resorts, certainly.

Somewhere in the Montriond area would be cheaper, and if you’re OK with putting the bikes on the car each morning for a 15 minute drive up to Lindarets you’ll be over in Switzerland before you know it.

pickle
    Free Member

Always reminds me of The Shining when I ride past it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Also loads of other resorts apart from the PDS are availble 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

Always reminds me of The Shining when I ride past it.

😀

It’s horrible in the summer, really ugly without the snow to soften it, much of the areas between the buildings are gravel wastelands. Its also pretty much deserted. I know people with apartments there who rarely visit in the summer.

I am a bit surprised you have not ridden much in Switzerland from Morzine, its not hard to get over to Les Crosets or nip round the corner under Mossettes and ride Col du Coux and then into Champery. Morgins is great too.

pinch_flat
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice RE Avoriaz, while we had obviously ridden past it we’d never gone in so we weren’t certain what it was like, though good to know that it isn’t hiding anything in amongst the 1960s coal mine replica!
    Trying to Avoid Morzine for several reasons, cost being one but also the time it takes to get up and over if the lifts are busy- we were queuing for over 30 minutes at certain points last week!

Yes there are other resorts and we are looking at them as well, including Les Arcs but just keeping our options open really.

BoardinBob

Morzine is cheap. Very cheap. If you’ve got a crowd you could get a week in a catered chalet for <£200

And as for lift queues, to get from Morzine to Switzerland there are two options

Prodains Cablecar to Avoriaz
    Ride down the PPDS route to the Mossettes lift
    Get that up to Switzerland

Guaranteed no queues at either lift

The other option is:

Super Morzine lift
    Zore lift
    Ride PPDS to Mossettes

Super and Zore can be busyish but the Zore lift is so much faster now you can put two bikes on. If you’re early, which you should be if you’re going to Switzerland, then they’ll be empty. Only gets busy around 11-ish

deadkenny
    Free Member

Depends if you want bit of night life also. Wouldn’t think there’d be any bars and restaurants open in Avoriaz, but could be wrong. Just looks shut when I go past in summer. Some nice places there in the winter though, but it’s more of a chalet town family friendly atmosphere, whereas Morzine is more about the night life.

And driving up to Lindarets makes for a good start point with less hassle/queues. Though Morzine is a good start for Pleney and heading to Les Gets.

larkim
    Free Member

Isn’t Prodains only open in afternoons during the summer?

Edit – here’s the opening times – am I misreading this, it suggests that it is open for 2 days in June in the mornings, and then throughout summer in the afternoons, but I suppose an alternative reading could be that it is open mornings and afternoon both for the two days in June and then the summer block too.

http://medias.morzine-avoriaz.com/documents/Ouvertures_ete_2016-2.pdf

lowey

Cycled through Avoriaz at the end of June. Was really weird… like a ghost town with absolutely no one around.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Morzine is very cheap. Its about the cheapest decent mtb place I know. Much cheaper than Chamonix or Verbier (obviously) from accommodation (as above self catering apartment) to lift pass. I am glad I didn’t suggest Morgins 😳

OP focus on getting out by 9 and getting yourself over to Crosets / Morgins promptly. For the trip back you only need to get back to above Linderets before lifts shut, from there there are a few different ways back to Morzine inc down to Lac Montriond or Col du Coux and go down the French side. Les Crosets reds I really like but its a half days riding, ditto trails around Morgins. Champery via Col du Coux and playing around there you could do a day (if you like it steep 😯 )

larkim
    Free Member

We spent a few days up at Avoriaz over the last couple of weeks playing mini golf, tennis etc etc. All was very much open and doing good business.

I suspect it’s just open during the summer holiday period, but it was very bustly during the day up there, and we left around 6:30pm when various concerts were starting up and the restaurants were definitely open. Certainly not a ghost town by any stretch, and the car park was ram packed indicating loads of families staying there (you can’t drive around the town so you need to leave the car outside in a free parking area).

But, I wouldn’t stay there when there are so many nicer options staying in a “proper” town rather than a purpose built skiing resort.

nickjb
    Free Member

A little update. Was in avoriaz today and it was positively buzzing. Lots of people about: playing crazy golf, tennis, swimming. Plenty of of restaurants open so it might be an option. I still wouldn’t stay there personally as you need to catch the last lift home every day whereas with morzine you can wait until the last lift before you need to start heading home. Also the best runs start above the town so its a bit of a push before you start.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Accomodation advice Avoriaz’ is closed to new replies.