Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • accommodation in marrakech
  • petefromearth

heading there in a month's time. any recommendations for a good riad? don't know the place at all, but somewhere near all the main touristy stuff i guess!

anyone got any good stories to tell?

keppoch

Hotel Assia

http://www.hotel-assia-marrakech.com/en/index.php3

I stayed there about this time last year, was a good place to stay, just minutes off the main square. Phoning to book is best.

Go well armed with a map to find it when you get there as it is a warren (though this place is much easier than most to find) and find it yourself rather than letting someone 'help' you.

An incredible place!

keppoch

petefromearth

thanks mate, will check them out

i'll make sure i get a good map!

bent_udder
    Free Member

Riad Tizwa was excellent when we visited a few years ago – fantastic service and about the most chilled out meal I've ever eaten the evening we arrived up on the roof.

We spent most of the time we were there walking around the town – most stuff is well within walking distance. The Riad is about a 10 minute walk from the Djamaa el Fna (the main square), but most of the good stuff is spread out around the place anyway. As Keppoch says, the place is a rabbit warren, and all the better for that. Riad Tizwa is tucked well out of the way down a side street – it can be a bit daunting wandering down blind alleys like this at first, but I certainly never felt threatened while we were there.

I'd avoid most of the caffs on the Djamaa itself, and try a few of the places on TripAdvisor. Street food in general is excellent and everyone's very friendly. I found my slightly rubbish French was more than enough to get by, and my smattering of Arabic helped as well – learning a few key phrases of the latter does help.

The souks are great to walk around in, and the banter can be excellent fun. Do shop around and haggle like crazy, otherwise you will be regarded as something of an easy mark. Taking the p!ss a little or general leg pulling is also encouraged – although wait for them to make the first move – they've a very similar sense of humour to the UK, and it's a good way to haggle. That said, wait for them to make the first move before going beyond the straight faced haggle approach 😉

jacksta
    Free Member

I stayed at Dar el Souk (www.darelsouk.com)- just ask them to come meet you where the taxi will drop you off. its beautiful and ask them to cook you dinner at least once – cook is awesome and you will get much better food than outside

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘accommodation in marrakech’ is closed to new replies.