Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Accommodation for Kielder Cross Challenge, Feb 20/21… seems scarce.
  • yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Booked in for this race.
    40km the Saturday night, 60km the Sunday.

Figured I’d get a youth hostel or wee lodge or something, but everything is booked.

I drive an MX5 so sleeping in the motor is out.

I’m thinking camping, but it’s got some drawbacks.
    A) you can’t just camp anywhere you want in England so do I drive back over the border?
    B) I could set my tent and stuff up first, go do the race then come back to it, but someone might pee in it or steal it or something.
    C) Alternatively, I can leave all the camping gear in the car, drive to the race, do the race, drive to somewhere to camp and set it up. But that might be a bit of a **** in the middle of the night, after a race and the weather might be gash.

If I wasn’t doing both races it wouldn’t matter so much.

Anyone got any suggestions? How strict are they with the ‘no camping’ rule down south. Could I camp in the car park at Kielder forest park?

br
    Free Member

Kielder is HUGE and no one will care where you camp as long as you clean up after.

B) I could set my tent and stuff up first, go do the race then come back to it, but someone might pee in it or steal it or something.

Pretty much the only folk that’ll be around late afternoon will be those involved in the race, but I’d just put up the tent (next to the car) and leave the rest in the car.

boxelder

Try Calvert Trust at Cranecleugh – they’ve got rooms offered for folk doing the Dirty Reiver 200.

Doesn’t Hawkhirst (where the event is) have camping?

boxelder

EDIT to above – Calvert are aoffering en suite single rooms for £25/night for DR200 (scroll down for details)

fooman

It’s unfortunate the Kielder YHA closed. The Scottish border is only 10 mins from Kielder village I’ve seen folk camping just past it.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

I’d forgotten about this and was thinking of entering. Not sure I’d fancy camping between rides in February though…probably just drive the hour back home.

Sorry I realise that didn’t help at all 😉

paul78
    Free Member

The event is at Hawkhirst Scout Camp which have a lot of onsite rooms .. are none of those being made available to use?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Hmm, maybe I’ll call the scouts centre and ask, or maybe even the organisers?

If I could set up the tent next to the car in the car park for the event that would be fine

warton
    Free Member

There’s a campsite right next to kielder village.

good luck campiong in keilder in february. I hope you enjoy being damp.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Turns out you can get a room in the dorms on site for £12 if you email them.
    Didn’t really fancy camping and would like a shower etc

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Accommodation for Kielder Cross Challenge, Feb 20/21… seems scarce.’ is closed to new replies.