Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • accommodation alpe d huez
  • scuff321
    Free Member

Looking for somewhere to stay for mega avalanche, was going to sleep in my van but it seems impractical with all spares plus bike and other gear, but have missed all cheaper hotels, don’t want to pay £££££ on posh hotel because it’s just not my thing, so some information from people that have been out before would be much appreciated, thanks

richardthird

Camping des Cascades at foot of the road climb/bus route?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The camping under the lift is the normal cheap/free option.
    The place is full of chalets that are mostly empty
    http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/search_results.asp?country=france&region=rhone-alpes&location=alpe%20d%27huez&minbeds=1&arrivaloffset=59&nights=9

scuff321
    Free Member

Camping not really thought of Is there shower block

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Think they let you use the sports centre

scuff321
    Free Member

Do I book or just turn up ? What temperature at night like

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s a field under the lift.
    There is a proper camp site down at the finish in Allamont too.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Do I book or just turn up ? What temperature at night like

Turn up, park where you like/can find a gap.

Toilet block open under the lift station all night, generally in a truely minging state. Can be worse if the weather is bad.

Showering is done down the road in the swimming pool (budgie smugglers only).

Temperature? F*cking cold. Last year it was 2.5 degrees at 10.30am on the Thursday & snowing. Even in good weather it’s cold at night.

If you want somewhere cheap, just turn up & go to the tourist information building. They have a list of the lower budget properties on the books they can sell you a rental for in the summer. We have done this a couple of times in the past.

That said, the Crystal in the middle of town isn’t expensive, the rooms are lovely, modern & immaculate & you can use all of the gym & spa whilst there for free. Much better than your typical alpine rental (dive).

vickypea
    Free Member

I can recommend La Piscine camping at the foot of Alpe D’Huez in Borg D’Ousains

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I wouldn’t recommend staying in bourg for the mega, any savings would be wiped out in fuel up and down the mountain each day.

rickmeister

http://www.homeaway.co.uk/lettings/france/alpe-dhuez/r510

Found our accommodation through this site. Looks like there are rooms in the big hotels as well as chalets…

Our decision to be up the hill was that the top would be easier for the start of the day during practice week… Loads of different perspectives on almond vs up the hill, shuttle bus and cars…

I asked a similar thing a little while ago, have a search…

Hth

superfli
    Free Member

I would do what Hob Nob says. There are tons of places to stay there, just maybe not so easy to find from here. Goto an agency in the town and choose. You always have the van for backup, but take a portable heater or wrap up warm (think camping in UK in winter). You’ll really appreciate a rented room if the weather turns bad.

scuff321
    Free Member

Thanks guys

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘accommodation alpe d huez’ is closed to new replies.