Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Accidentally got KOM whilst driving.
  • jekkyl

I started work at 11 this morning so went out for quick blast in the sunshine before leaving. I had a puncture and ended up being later home than I intended so I rushed in, changed and ski-daddled out of there. It wasn’t until I was halfway to work that I realised I had left strava running and upon looking discovered that I had got KOM on a segement which runs parrallel to the dual carriageway I had just driven up. Just a short one of 0.4miles and it was showing my speed down it as 56.5mph, which makes it even worse as the speed limit on there is 50mph! lol. the 2nd placed person was doing 35 and then third and all the rest are a more reasonable 17mph or less.
    Can I email them to remove it or something or should I just relish in my KOM status on that segment from now until the time when people are able to cycle faster than 56mph?

Daniel
    Free Member

I did this. You can go back and shorten the ride in Strava.

cultsdave
    Free Member

Just edit the ride easy to do on the website not from your phone app.

mrblobby
    Free Member

relish in my KOM status on that segment from now until the time when people are able to cycle faster than 56mph?

This ^^^^ 🙂

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Cool story bro

ahwiles
    Free Member

how else do you think people get KOM’s these days?

richmtb

I do it all the time. Just crop the ride.

Strava automatically deletes the segment achievements too.

I don’t think Strava GPS is admissible as evidence in speeding offences either

Gary_M
    Free Member

how else do you think people get KOM’s these days?

Digital EPO.

Does it really matter that much though?

surfer
    Free Member

I have a running one which I treasure (I have others but this one is “mine”). A guy keeps taking it when he is riding and he keeps changing it back. It has been mine for months and it is regularly run.
    Earlier this week a guy took it “fair and square” so I see an epic battle commencing soon. I still think there is “scope” for improvement by me 😈

surfer
    Free Member

Yes.

molgrips
    Free Member

I did it once and DIDN’T get a KOM on the segment I did in the car.

Bike beats car in traffic 🙂 I was pretty far down the table actually.

I set a new world record for the mile, did it in about 2m30, due to suddenly finding the ability to teleport myself around central London. But it got flagged as dubious 🙂

Yes

😆

jekkyl

It’s my first ever KOM 🙁

allthepies
    Free Member

Running and cycling KOMs are recorded separately aren’t they. Presumably one of you is not setting Strava to “run” or “cycle” for each activity.

stever
    Free Member

There’s a bug that shows up sometimes with rides being set to runs, sending out the ‘uh, oh’ emails and then resetting 🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

Running and cycling KOMs are recorded separately aren’t they. Presumably one of you is not setting Strava to “run” or “cycle” for each activity

I think there is/was a slight strava bug in that say if you upload from a multisport gps after say cycling, then it may initially record it in as a run, and in the time it takes for you to just select ‘ride’ from the menu selection, it’s already emailed a bunch of runners that they’ve just lost a kom.

theflatboy
    Free Member

I don’t get why the option to specify activity type isn’t before the point where the activity gets uploaded – it gets confused every time I upload a bike ride, at first listing it as a run…

uselesshippy
    Free Member

“Accidentally”?
    My arse.

surfer
    Free Member

Running and cycling KOMs are recorded separately aren’t they. Presumably one of you is not setting Strava to “run” or “cycle” for each activity.

Yes. It is a setting when you upload your activity. He ran a sub 2hr marathon during his “run”!!

it’s already emailed a bunch of runners that they’ve just lost a kom.

yes but when I check hours later it was still there 👿

DezB
    Free Member

Does “M” stand for Mountain? 😆

luffy105
    Free Member

I got a KOM in dalby forest recently from a dodgy garmin recording. Strava stripped me of it a week later so wouldn’t worry. Just bask in the afternoon glory of an amazing result and you’ll be back into our mediocre fold soon enough

Bregante

Guilty also m’lud.

Went for a spin round Clayton Vale with a mate and forgot to turn strava off when I got back to the velodrome. Set off home in the car and by the time I got home I had loads of comments on strava!

The stretch along Alan Turing way is on the Manchester 100 sportive route and I had KOM over thousands of riders. I declared it straight away but still got sarcy comments off a few mates.

aracer
    Free Member

Except it isn’t really.

jekkyl

well I got third once on a little used segment in hanchurch woods but that’s about it, not sure what you’re implying racer. *looks sideways*

andytherocketeer

I’d leave it and see how long it takes someone to report it and do something about it. Revel in the glory of being top.

Works the other way around too. I’ve had one record me for 5 minutes resting both before and after an uphill segment, so my 18 minute PB (and would have been a KoM too) ended up as 28min, cos it’s so rubbish at being accurate at detecting start/end points.

That’s half the reason I binned the a/c.

aracer
    Free Member

That you don’t really have the KOM – not in a way to be proud of.

I regularly get notifications of somebody having taken one of my KOMs, only to find I’m still top when I check later – as it’s on a road lots of people will use to drive to go riding I’m assuming it’s due to people having Strava running whilst driving and then correcting before I check.

Northwind

The guy who owns the KOM for the road from Glentress to Peebles is very quick to flag people who’ve forgotten to turn strava off before driving away 😆

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Works the other way around too. I’ve had one record me for 5 minutes resting both before and after an uphill segment, so my 18 minute PB (and would have been a KoM too) ended up as 28min, cos it’s so rubbish at being accurate at detecting start/end points.

What you resting for you fanny 😛

chiefgrooveguru

My only KOM at BPW was in the uplift minibus!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Accidentally got KOM whilst driving.’ is closed to new replies.