Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Accidentally bought supertacky rear tire
  • mtbtom
    Free Member

Accidentally ordered the Maxxis Minion DHR in Supertacky (42a) ahead of a two week trip to the Alps. Planning on doing Beaufort (Destination X) for a week, followed by Les Arcs.

I’ve heard mixed things about these tires if you’re not doing out-and-out downhill. Mostly that they’re pretty slow rolling. Is it worth sending them back, or will it be ok for mostly ski-lift / bus assisted riding?

Sticking them on my Remedy – so I guess I’m stuck in the All-mountain world… not cool enough for Enduro!

br
    Free Member

Just MFTU, it’ll keep/get you fit 🙂

chiefgrooveguru

I doubt it’ll last the first week, let alone the second!

GeForceJunky

Return it and buy a front version. They are much better. 42a DHF front, 60a DHF on the rear for great grip and lasts more than a week.

IanW
    Free Member

The only time I’ve seen my mate actually break down in tears was pushing a pair of those around a winter ride. good luck.

hofnar
    Free Member

No idea about the tires but been last week to Beaufort for the enduro event can onl say great natural riding beutifull views. And if you wanna train on something to get an edge make it tight hairpins, better make it front wheel turns for hairpins they had some really sharp ones. Only reason I left cos they gave pis ppor weatjer for after last weekend.

dashed
    Free Member

DHR suck. Badly. Horrible tyres in normal or supertacky. I’m not a tyre geek by any means, but they are the only tyre I have ever ridden that I’ve had a noticeable dislike for. Great braking in a perfectly straight line, absolutely horrid at everything else (try braking in a damp off-camber section and keeping it together!!)

martinh
    Free Member

Guessing that was the old DHR. DHR2s are superb

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

I too found the DHR repulsive to ride!! Horrid tyre!
    Get rid! Mine had 3 rides and was chucked some where in the garage, hopefully never to be seen again.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Supertacky won’t last the week.
    Stopped even bothering with them at the front as it was costing far too much to ride frequently. There is a grip difference but a lot of it’s in your head.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’d send it back but I don’t like Minions at all. I much prefer High Rollers, but I think I’m in the minority there.

When I went to Morzine my super tacky High Rollers lasted the two weeks, as did everyone else’s. The only casulty was a rim….one of the lads got a puncture on the Swiss national course and ended up riding on the road on his rim due to us running out of tubes that day.

I’d echo the comments about it not lasting. Got some 3C High Roller II’s for BPW – they’ve done 2 days and are looking very worn

Northwind

It’ll wear fast and yep, old DHR sucked balls (new DHR2 is apparently good though if it’s one of those). I stuck dual supertackys on for the endurance downhill one year and the brand-new rear was halfway to worn out after 6 hours on the bike. 6 absolute **** as hours go, to be fair, but still.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Accidentally bought supertacky rear tire’ is closed to new replies.