Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Accidental Damage cover – Home insurance
  • dawson

I have accidentally killed our fridge/freezer by causing a puncture to the internal skin of the freezer, which resulted in it dying.

Before I spend ages on the phone in the morning, is this sort of thing covered on accidental damage?

cloudnine
    Free Member

The old defrost the freezer with a hammer and chisel ‘accident’… Tick.

dawson

not a hammer and chisel! just a knife 😳

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wilburt
    Free Member

Read the contract and all the exclusions before you ring.

dannybgoode

How expensive is a replacement and is it worth claiming taking into account excess and impact to premium?

bigyinn
    Free Member

If you’ve just punctured the inner skin, you’ll probably be able to save it by drying out the affected area and just sealing it again with some silicone sealant. Perhaps a even a strip of duck tape would do it?

aracer
    Free Member

I agree with danny – unlikely to be worth claiming given the impact on your premiums (I’m sure it wouldn’t be for us).

trail_rat
    Free Member

whats actually died ?

i just heated the skin with a heatgun and melted – then closed the hole over…. bit like heathrobinson plastic welding. although i did this when the damage occured and so it didnt get into the fabric of the freezer. – that was 8 months ago.

dawson

Its a Smeg FAB30 – about £1200 – horrifically overpriced.

Hopefully can see puncture mark on pic below near end of pen.

some chemical smell came out and a thin oily substance – that brown droplet in the photo is some of it.
    I’ve also spotted a dribble of the brown stuff on the floor since its happened.

coming to terms with the fact that the bit of money I had saved for a new bike will be replacing the fridge

andyl
    Free Member

yup you have punctured the refrigerant pipe.

Sugru and someone to re-gass it?

jon1973
    Free Member

Just curious, but what where you doing in the freezer with a knife?

dawson

trying to lever out a chunk of ice instead of defrosting it properly…. 😳

i know i’ll not be doing it again..

neilnevill
    Free Member

Boys boys boys…to rapid defrost, put boiling water from a kettle in a tray and into the freezer. Reboil kettle and repeat. The ice melts and comes off easily and swiftly.

andyl
    Free Member

Boys boys boys

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug8WeZyTxXg[/video]

jackwilliamson
    Free Member

A very useful discussion.Home insurance is a must for such accidents.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

You could just buy a Beko instead for about £250, which will be cheaper than insurance claim and premium hike.

Our Beko never frosts up and keeps food frozen

aphex_2k
    Free Member

That Sabrina song… 88… Jeez… I remember singing “boing boing boing”

wrightyson
    Free Member

Have any of the people ^^^ up there actually made a claim? I’ve made two claims in the last two years and its hardly affected my premium at all. Seems ridiculous to insure your possessions and then not actually use that insurance to pay out for them.
    Edit
    In fact its three claims, one a small theft and two accidental damages.

dawson

@funkydunc – I agree. I suggested an entry level Bosch fridge freezer, but Swmbo bought the fridge originally and likes the design and is of the opinion that i should replace it like for like as I was the one that broke it.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Ring the insurance company, hopefully get a replacement, keep your bike fund and take the hit of a slightly increased premium when you come to renew.

Relevant. .

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2434831

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I’ve claimed for things before and not had massive hikes in my premium. Whats the point paying month after month then saying “oh nooo don’t want to actually use it”. Don’t you shop around every couple of years anyway?

dbcooper
    Free Member

Husband claimed for a mobile phone screen last year, this year some companies declined to quote for a renewal. Which is a bit of a scare.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Accidental Damage cover – Home insurance’ is closed to new replies.