Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Accident victim's mother urges cyclists not to listen to music while they ride
  • Haze

I have to admit I listen to music in one ear on quiet rural roads, I always hear cars coming. But I always take it out if coming up to a town, and wouldn’t even think about it in a city, or on a busy A road like my commute road

Hmmm, I’ve always had completely the opposite thoughts on this!

As I see it traffic’s always there on my commute, making me much less likely to be taken by surprise by something passing too close etc.

Only ever talky bits for me anyway…

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

crikey – Member
    I did find out today that I’ve got the Spice Girls on my mp3 tho…

My housemate was horrified to discover she had Slayer on her Shuffle today. I was somewhat surprised to find that I had The Saturdays, we really shouldn’t leave our his and hers matching Shuffles in the kitchen!

Gordy
    Free Member

It might have worked out better if you didn’t have shit music on both of them.

😉

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

You won’t be buying the long rumoured Slayer/Saturdays split e.p then!

Gordy
    Free Member

Heh – actually I had to look The Saturdays up. Little bits of the lyrics to one of their songs Google found for me could actually be Slayer. Rock! :mrgreen:

I miss hurting you til you cry
    I miss watching you as you try
    Try not to end up in tears

There’s a blind force letting it win
    And it’s longing to tear us apart
    I get high when you’re making me weak
    Let me down ’til I crawl on my knee’s

Gordy
    Free Member

Knee’s btw – honestly! Copied and pasted, obviously.

Kevevs
    Free Member

I haven’t read all that, and I’m sure it’s terribly sad for all involved. But, I do put my mp3 player on on my road bike, the tunes get me going and cycling harder and it gives me more of a buzz, I don’t wear a helmet either. I look forward to this experience all week. This is my own personal free choice. A lot of the time I am tied down to corporate control. I’m getting a proper roadie helmet for xmas though! and I wouldn’t even consider using an mp3 player cycling in a city or not on cycle paths or b roads. each to their own.

Drac

My bike doesn’t have mirrors like the car does.

Or mine but my head has a good pivot point. Which I use when driving the car too, turning your head to look around is a real good idea, try it some time.

I am finding this thread a bit of an eye opener..

Well that’s a start, now gently turn your head. Careful now it may hurt the first time you try it.

Taff
    Free Member

Oh god not this topic again. Roads I’ll have one ear in off road I’ll have both in. I’ve had a burst ear drum for the past month so presume, as I have a constant sea shell sound in my ea,r that I shouldn’t ride either as I can’t hear any better than with headphones?

Not sure why headphones have an affect on your vision though? Seen a few accidents involving cyclists in Pompey and soton in the past few month

skidartist
    Free Member

Are well all missing the fact that the truck was moving. She didn’t ride into the back of a stationary truck, she was hit by the rear portion of a truck that was turning.

cheers_drive

Surrounded By Zulus – Member
    How do you hear that car that is screaming up behind you if you have music taking away your ability to hear road hazards? I’ll stick to listening for cars and other stuff that is trying to kill me thanks.

Yes if pootling around town but I honestly can’t hear a thing from behind if travelling over 15mph so can’t see what difference earphones make apart from stopping me getting earache in the summer.
    Never tried earphones offroad but I imagine the sound under tyre would be quite important to determine weather grip was about to go.

samuri
    Free Member

If you can’t listen to music without being distracted then I don’t think the road is the place for you.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Accident victim's mother urges cyclists not to listen to music while they ride’ is closed to new replies.