Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Accident Insurance
  • milky1980
    Free Member

I’m currently off work with bruised ribs after a little crash a few weeks ago and have just been informed by work that I will only get Statutory Sick Pay for the time I’ve had off so will be down a good £1500 on the next pay 🙁
    Apparently the terms and conditions changed last pay deal (April) so as to no longer cover Extreme Sport injuries where the previous deal covered up to one month’s pay over 3 years as a way to encourage a healthier workforce.

So time to sort out Accident cover, any recommendations?

legend
    Free Member

“Extreme sports”? Surely you just fell off your bike? Anything short of a DH race is not ‘extreme’ (and most DH races aren’t either)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

check the T&C’s for Extreme sport? I’m sure you were just riding along.

br
    Free Member

I’d ask them for a list in writing of ‘Extreme Sports’, then cross-reference that against injury stats.

And if rugby isn’t in the list…

milky1980
    Free Member

They are very adamant that riding off road is classed as Extreme. They know I do trail centres and a bit of DH – not big but enough to warrant a F/face and knee pads – so are classing it as extreme even though I fell off on an XC trail.

So any companies to try?

legend
    Free Member

I wouldn’t give a crap if they are adamant, I’d want the piece of paper that states any form of taking a bicycle off-road is extreme (canal path gnar ftw). Sounds like they are at it TBH

nickjb
    Free Member

Most travel insurance policies cover riding off-road, but on recognised trails under normal cover, not extreme. I know this isn’t travel insurance but I’d be checking the wording.

As for cover how about just squirreling a few quid away every week in an ISA. It’s there if you need it and if you don’t then it’s new bike time.

poly
    Free Member

legend – their company their rules, no statutory requirement to provide sick pay above SSP.

milky – MTFU a few weeks off with bruised ribs, no wonder they are being strict. Present yourself for work – even if it is for light duties.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

legend – their company their rules, no statutory requirement to provide sick pay above SSP.

Yes, but only if that’s what the contract says. If it says something wooly like extream sports but doesn’t list them then it reasnoble to argue that falling off a bike is not extream and therefore the company should be paying the full sick pay he was expecting not SSP.

z1ppy

Umm how do they know, you bruised you ribs falling off the bike?
    Cause you couldn’t possibly do it (or break a leg/arm/collar bone) doing anything else could you?

milky1980
    Free Member

poly – light duties still involves lifting and driving so not an option ie there aren’t any. I actually went to work the day after falling off and got sent home as there was no way I could physically do anything. Had a real struggle just getting home!

z1ppy – they know what I do as a past-time and the job is built on trust and honesty.

FWIW I’m querying the definition through the union and will see where that gets me. All I asked was for recommendations for insurance companies to cover me for bills etc and the pitch forks are out!!

poly
    Free Member

I’ve never seen a contract that listed stuff like that in detail. Its more likely that any mention of the sick pay provision says that it is discretionary and / or laid out in the staff handbook which is not part of the contract.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Accident Insurance’ is closed to new replies.