Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Accessing NAS drives from Android.
  • PJay
    Free Member

We have a NAS drive (Western Digital) set up on our home network; as well as providing the usual storage facilities it also acts as a media server.

We have no problems accessing it from Windows and our Revo digital radio happily streams media from it.

I’d like to be able to access it from my android tablet (Hudl) and my wife’s mobile phone (again Android) but don’t know how to do this. VideoLan (VLC) is available for Android and has the ability to view or stream files from a directory but I just can get it to see the NAS drive.

Can anyone give me any pointers as to what needs to be done?

nickjb
    Free Member

I use ES File Explorer to access mine. Seems happy to access most networked files.

PJay
    Free Member

Do you know if it’s possible to map a NAS drive to Android so it can be accessed directly?

gt900uk
    Free Member

I have added my NAS on my Galaxy Alpha phone and access it through android OS. Not sure if its available in every android version though.

cranberry
    Free Member

ES Explorer as mentioned above, and connect either as a Lan ( Samba ) server or FTP server if you have the NAS configured as an FTP server.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Which WD NAS have you got?

PJay
    Free Member

It’s a 2Tb My Book Live. It’s possible to set up shares via its HTML configuration page but I’d like to be able to access these via Android.

deadkenny
    Free Member

My Book Live appears to be like the My Cloud products and basically acts as a private cloud. Cloud being on your drive, not actually “out there” in the cloud, but you can access it from anywhere.

There’s an app for it that will let your phone access the cloud storage. Looks like the NAS can also sync to public clouds as well (Dropbox, etc). Plenty of apps on Android for those.

http://www.westerndigital.nl/en/products/products.aspx?id=280#Tab8

Aside from the cloud feature, the above mentioned Explorer app and similar ones should be able to access the shares. Bit more fiddly if you are trying to access them outside of your home network (really you want a VPN connection in for that). The cloud stuff should in theory be more secure from outside and be easier to set up your router firewall, if necessary.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

ES file Explorer +1

Also use “NAS Wake on LAN” to power it up from sleep.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Accessing NAS drives from Android.’ is closed to new replies.