Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Access on Rushmoor road, near Aldershot
  • singletracksurfer

Does anyone know what the deal is here – can you cycle along it?

Heading south off the A323, past Rushmoor Arena, it looks to be a public road (as per the maps, MOD & Google, etc) but there were gates across it.

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@51.261419,-0.780921,16z,1t

Thanks.

ninfan
    Free Member

Ministry of Defence road

You have a right to use the road on bikes under the byelaws (as this one is a road made up for use of vehicular traffic) but I know they closed it to motor vehicles a little while ago, though I believe the signage isn’t very clear as to this.

singletracksurfer

Ah ok, thanks. Yeah I thought and it seems like it used to be open to cars.

I spoke to the MOD and they said it wasn’t theirs oddly (but they’d have no issues if it was). Sounds like it should be ok to use – I guess bikes can squeeze around the sides can they?

dovebiker

Vehicle gates have been placed across the end of the road with the A323 but there’s still pedestrian / bike access – I use this road regularly. However, that’s not to say they won’t come at a later stage and put an 8ft chainlink fence across as they’ve put up new fencing further down. MOD/DIO seem hell-bent on restricting access to the law-abiding public but don’t appear to be doing anything about motorbikes who tear across early morning, evening and weekends as the MOD/DIO don’t patrol outside of office hours. Someone on a local FB group said they’re trying to bring in £500 fines for ‘bikes’ on the ranges and MOD were pi$$ed-off after the public consultation meeting with Trail Action Group. Separately they’re also bringing in security restrictions for the Airshow during the afternoon which also includes the canal towpath between Fleet and Aldershot.

singletracksurfer

Ah ok, thanks. Very odd the person I spoke to said the definitely didn’t own it but had no problem with it being used! Sounds like it’s still a legal right of way then anyway.

Thank you

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Access on Rushmoor road, near Aldershot’ is closed to new replies.