Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Access Guru quiz
  • seadog101

Around my way (North Pennines) there is a lot of land marked on the OS maps as ‘Managed Land’, typically the upper moorland. I’m a bit in the dark about what this means.

I believe these are areas where you have a Right To Roam, correct me if I’m wrong. So, what does it mean for biking? Can I divert from the bridleways and use the shooters tracks, farm tracks, sheep highways that are not marked as Rights of Way/Bridleways/BOTAT etc?

I have found out that the land owner can’t restrict the RoW access in these areas, but can get the Right to Roam limited. Sensibly this restriction is for stuff like shooting, burning, sensitive wildlife etc. I’d rather not be shot, roasted, or end up crushing lesser spotted grumble gnats.

If anyone can help it’d be appreciated.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Right to Roam only covers walking as we are unpleasant scum on bicycles. AFAIK (awaits correction) you should limit yourself to the BW’s and BOATS. Other areas are not rights of way. There may be informal understandings covering these but nothing legal.

seadog101

Hmm, interesting. There’s a couple of spots I know where a short hike/push/portage would connect two BW’s nicely… I wonder if that’s technically allowed?

One for the lawyers mebe?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Access Guru quiz’ is closed to new replies.