Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Access dilemma advice required
  • heuer27
    Free Member

Recently on my usual loop which cuts through council parkland I have noticed someone had been placing big tree limbs over the singletrack part of the ride on blind corners. I have been surprised on more than one occasion by this and each time I remove the offending woodwork to the undergrowth. Initially I thought it was kids and didn’t get too bothered by it
    Today I got two punctures front and rear and when I checked noticed four drawing pins embedded in the tyres. On my way home I checked the singletrack part of the loop and sure enough found that some idiot had scattered lots of the little feckkers all over the track. I was not happy as you can imagine.
    I’m not on private land at any point and the person that is sabotaging my me time has no claim on it either.

Question is , what to do about this.

Drac

Report it the council/Police say a do or kid had stuck in their feet and you’d helped them out. More likely to get something done.

heuer27
    Free Member

Sage advice. I had considered this but wasn’t convinced either party would have been concerned enough to do anything about it.
    I was contemplating sticking up a notice along the route asking the individual to consider their actions and stop being a male hen.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I was contemplating sticking up a notice along the route asking the individual to consider their actions and stop being a male hen.

They probably have done the first and can’t do the second.

heuer27
    Free Member

Aye true your probably right there as well.

scaredypants

get some good looking branches, leave them just off the trail and then smear them in dogshit ?

heuer27
    Free Member

Scaredypants now we’re talking

project
    Free Member

Strange how fallen branches are always 90 degree to the track i blame a faction of the militant squirrels, bit like ramblers but more nutty, and they dont speak either.

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

STICK PERVERTS !
    This kind of thing really boils my p!$$ !!!

A few years back a fella riding in some of our local woods hit some branches and died in hospital later from his injuries.
    see here

Over the years I’ve come across logs, sticks, bricks and even wire at neck/head height puposely strewn across trails. Sad thing is its probably going to be some young kid that gets hurt really bad as a result of some morons actions.

The countryside is not the domain of one particular group. If people have a problem with certain users using certain trails – go through the proper steps.

If you purposely set a trap, in the inner city, to purposely injure and maim people you would, if caught, more than likely be facing charges of endangering human life. Soif you do decide to put posters/signs up , don’t hold back.

heuer27
    Free Member

Like I said I’ve had a few near misses with the branches. They are big things too about 12 in diameter 15 feet long. They all came down in the bad storm we had a few weeks back. Someone is making a determined effort to stop people using the paths.
    I’m getting to the point where I might just change my route to avoid the place it’s totally destroying my enjoyment wondering whats going to be the next childish attempt to disrupt me.

scaredypants

no, don’t be beaten

make some ramps on/off the logs, or make it very clear (tracks &/or chainring marks) that you’re riding over them ?

(mind, I don’t fancy meeting the person who’s moving 12in diameter logs, 15ft long round the woods)

theotherjonv

I’ve had similar near me (branches) – on a footpath crossing common land. So while I’ve no right to be on it as such there equally isn’t anyone with any right for me not to be on it. But some nobber continues to block it with brush and logs just the right distance apart that you can’t wheelie them, which convinces me they are doing it for bikes specifically.

So I left a note saying I’d seen them doing it (I hadn’t) and that while riding on a footpath may technically be trespass, blocking a public right of way in a manner that may cause danger to others was a criminal offence and if they did it again I’d be reporting it to the authorities.

Hasn’t happened since.

Zoolander
    Free Member

build some northshore out of the logs and leave a thankyou note

heuer27
    Free Member

At least they’ve left me the wood and nails to do it with.

heuer27
    Free Member

I’m in Scotland so the trespass thing doesn’t apply but I’m liking the idea.

heuer27
    Free Member

Scaredypants don’t think he’d like meeting me either after I’ve humpfed them back into the undergrowth. Because a few of the trees have been chopped down due to the storms, the bugger has plenty of ammo.

stumpyjon

Seeing as you’re in Scotland and there’s no issues of trepass it’s a police issue, espcially the drawings pins. The logs may have been naturally, drawing pins don’t just scatter themselves over a trail. The ploice should take it fairly seriously as someone is deliberately trying to hurt random members of the public.

Even in the less enlightened parts of the UK the police should take this sor tof thing seriously, attempts to assault people usually trump civil trespass issues.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Access dilemma advice required’ is closed to new replies.