Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Acceptable use of the word Stoked
  • Northwind

Trimix – Member

An intelligent person would find there are already lots of suitable words and not need to make up new ones.

An intelligent person wouldn’t generally say people are making up new words, when they’re just using existing ones in a way that you don’t understand. They certainly wouldn’t accuse other people of being unintelligent owing to their own lack of comprehension. This is a gap in your vocabulary not theirs. Vocabulary isn’t a sign of intelligence but unwillingness to learn often is, as is judging things without bothering to understand them first

The more you assume you know, the less you learn

jimjam
    Free Member

ads678

STW grammar grandads in “I can’t keep up with the kids and i’m not stoked about it” shocker!!

I don’t think it’s even an age thing as opposed to conceited snobbery acted out in the perfect arena (STW). I wonder how many, if any of these guys would correct Steve Peat or Chris Kovarik, or Shaun Palmer if they were riding with them and they claimed to be stoked (considering the STW demographic it would probably be on an all inclusive skills course/whisky tasting/ Santa Cruz demo in the south of France or something).

I’m going to go out on a limb and say none, because to do so in that context would mark you out as miserable, po-faced little bitch.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

This thread is positively stoking my furnace.

nickc

on an all inclusive skills course/whisky tasting/ Santa Cruz demo in the south of France or something

I’d be stoked to be on a holiday like that… 😉

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/xKpJQnVBj-w?t=38m4s[/video]

molgrips
    Free Member

So what would the person on the front of a tandem be if the person on the back puts in a lot of effort?

hels
    Free Member

So many answers molgrips, most of them obscene…

dragon
    Free Member

OED definition is:

informal, chiefly North American
    Excited or euphoric:
    when they told me I was on the team, I was stoked

In bold is the main issue IMO, we don’t call them fenders, or sidewalks etc. so we should use excited or euphoric etc. and leave the old colonies to their ‘funny’ colloquialisms.

Remember this is Great Britain and we do things proper 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

If you were in the US and someone used the word ‘fortnight’ would you have a go at them for adopting Britishisms?

jimjam
    Free Member

fergal
    Free Member

how about amazeballs, even worser.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

plus the idea of seal failure “in the wild” seems like a fundamental insecurity I don’t like much! Maybe I’ll risk a set soon!

Well the original quote was from the colonies….

matt_outandabout

Stoked is overused.
    So is schralp by STW staff at present.
    Just say no.

pitduck
    Free Member

my dad was a stoker in’t war,strange but true

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Acceptable use of the word Stoked’ is closed to new replies.