Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Acceptable time to wait for funds from eBay sale?
  • gazza100

As per title really. Do bank holidays delay transfer of funds through paypal?

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

I give buyers 5 days before sending a reminder, then another 5 days, then open a case in the resolution centre. And Paypal is instantaneous and 24/7 – unaffected by bank hols.

Northwind

Paypal isn’t affected by bank holidays but over christmas/new year people’s routines are disrupted, not unreasonable for some other delays.

(can it cause a delay when paypal is taking their payment by e-cheque thing from a bank account? I’ve seen that delay classifieds payments but not ebay… And I reckon a bank holiday could delay it)

RichPenny
    Free Member

What contact have you had with the buyer?

butcher

I won a pannier or something once on eBay. Can’t remember now, it was a couple of years ago. But for whatever reason, I don’t seem to get any notifications via email when I’ve won something, and rarely log into eBay itself, so didn’t even realise until about a month later 😳

So maybe worth contacting the buyer.

onandon
    Free Member

I give 24 hours. If they don’t respond then contact eBay.

chip
    Free Member

I thought 3 days was the accepted time frame.
    Then send them a message then give them another 3, then if still nothing contact eBay.

As said, some people do not use computer everyday and could have forgotten bidding or end of auction time.

I once bid on something ending soon before going out to dinner . Twenty minutes after auction ended I started getting angry messages demanding I make payment.

gazza100

Buyer contacted me prior to auction ending asking if I’d accept x amount. I agreed, however, as I hadn’t set up the auction to facilitate this I was unable to and informed them accordingly. Auction only ended yesterday so I’m not looking flame them (yet) but there are a number of similar items for sale which they may get for less, therefore, not honouring the winning bid.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Two days then I file a non paying bidder complaint. I think eBay will automatically do it after this period if you set it up as well

ruffride
    Free Member

Give it a day then contact them if you get nothing back after 2 days then report it

ricky1
    Free Member

I generally start to get twitchy off they don’t pay in the first 24 hours,i have eBay mobile so I get notifications,some people however only get to a computer at certain times which doesn’t help,at the end of the day they don’t get the item if they don’t pay.

bencooper
    Free Member

Buyer contacted me prior to auction ending asking if I’d accept x amount. I agreed, however, as I hadn’t set up the auction to facilitate this I was unable to and informed them accordingly.

So it wasn’t done through the auction? That doesn’t sound like a firm confirmation anyway to me.

I’d bung him a message asking if he still wants it at that price, if not I’d move on.

gazza100

Ben, they messaged me about accepting x amount but then submitted what was to be the winning bid so it was definitely firm confirmation.

chip
    Free Member

So was the x amount more or less than the winning bid.

If less he had a result if he pays and you have if he does not pay as you can give the second highest bidder the opportunity to buy at what would be I am guessing also above your agreed fee.

If the winning bid was less than the agreed price he may be peed off that he could have won it cheeper just by bidding and decided not to buy, in which case you would be on shakey ground I should imagine as eBay tell you not to accept offers outside of the auction.

And if the auction was deliberately manipulated by false bidding by seller or friends of to put up the price , that’s fraud I think iremember someone going to prison for deliberately bidding on their own auction of a minibus to put up the price.

gazza100

To clarify, I set the starting price at £55 with free p&p and I put a note on saying that I would accept any sensible offer. Before the bidding had started, I received a message from someone asking if I would accept £60 to which I said yes. However, due to ignorance on my part I wasn’t aware at the time that this is against the rules and once made aware I duly removed the note and replaced it with one which stated that I was going to let the auction run its course(Remember this all took place before the first official bid was made).

The person who made the offer of £60 won the auction with a bid of £67.

chip
    Free Member

So did the buyer accept your withdrawal of acceptance of his offer and bid thereafter.
    Or is he still expecting to pay the £60.

Is it your understanding that he will be paying £67 or have you offered to sell for the previously agreed figure out of good will as he has won the bid anyway.

Either way If I did not hear from him I would look into the correct procedure on when and how to go about offering to the second highest bidder.

gazza100

It’s my understanding that he will be paying the £67 as what I had proposed was against the rules and that I stated I was letting the auction run its course. I’ve messaged him earlier and if I don’t get a reply then I’ll do as you suggest about offering it to the second highest bidder. Cheers for the advice.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Acceptable time to wait for funds from eBay sale?’ is closed to new replies.