Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 129 total)
  • Acceptable behavior now but not in the future.
  • twinw4ll
    Free Member

Wood burning stoves, even if we could teach numpties how to use them correctly they are still a c***ish idea.

bigwill
    Free Member

Pushing old folk / dog walker off trails, as you fly past shouting STRAVA

maccruiskeen

Belief in a religion, with any luck.

I’m more hopeful of seeing and end to proselytising atheists. Atheism is fine, kidding yourself that its some kind of achievement, that you’re bettered by it, and that other people would be bettered by it is just embarrassing. Any simpleton can be an atheist, even me, I find it very easy indeed. Manners however – they seem to take a bit of effort.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

I’m more hopeful of seeing and end to proselytising atheists. Atheism is fine, kidding yourself that its some kind of achievement, that you’re bettered by it, and that other people would be bettered by it is just embarrassing. Any simpleton can be an atheist, even me, I find it very easy indeed. Manners however – they seem to take a bit of effort.

Beautifully put.

neilthewheel

^aaaaaand we’re off!

bloodynora
    Free Member

The Pope.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Sorry if my opinion offended you. I’m not an atheist.
    Absolute belief there is no God requires as much faith as absolute belief there is a god. I probably should have written ‘organised’ religion.
    Purely profiting from others beliefs. Unescessary, superstitious protection racket. If it wasn’t for tradition, it would be outlawed.

beej

Purely profiting from others beliefs. Unescessary, superstitious protection racket. If it wasn’t for tradition, it would be outlawed.

Premiership football?

slowoldman

Absolute belief there is no God requires as much faith as absolute belief there is a god

No it doesn’t. It doesn’t rely on faith at all.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Atheism is fine, kidding yourself that its some kind of achievement, that you’re bettered by it, and that other people would be bettered by it is just embarrassing. Any simpleton can be an atheist, even me,

Your right but having faith in a falsehood without evidence is an achievement in belief over substance or mind over matter[ of fact] if you prefer.
    As for manners when I start telling them they will burn for an eternity in hell for not agreeing with me feel free to give me that lecture.

They can believe what they want if they leave me the **** alone and shut the **** up about it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

One would have thought racism and bigotry might wear thin, but one of their exponents has posted in this very thread.

timc
    Free Member

wearing animal fur for fashion i hope

fourbanger
    Free Member

No it doesn’t. It doesn’t rely on faith at all.

Faith – complete trust or confidence in someone or something. I’m not sure how you can categorically deny the existence of something without having complete confidence.
    This is why I call myself agnostic. Anything else isn’t really very scientific.

Ambrose

The RSPB was founded by people wanting to end the use of feathers in millinery. I also hope the use of fur ceases.

I also hope that the attitude that allows people to just throw things away is modified. The amount of litter and landfill I see is horrible.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Cruelty to animals and eating meat. (We slaughter about about a billion animals in slaughter houses + 4.5 billion fish + 2.6 billion shellfish In the UK alone each year)

Destruction of the environment for small material gains.

Massively unequal societies.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

tomd – Member

Using public parks as dog toilets

+1

seems strange that we fence off a small area for kids and families (often frequently ignored by dog owners) and allow the rest of the park to be fouled and occupied by dogs in varying states of control. Surely it should be the reverse?

why are local cemeteries subject to https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dog-control-orders when local parks aren’t?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Cruelty to animals and eating meat.

ban domestic pets for a double win?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

big_n_daft – Member
    Cruelty to animals and eating meat.
    ban domestic pets for a double win?

Would be fine by me I hate animals, especially cats.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I’m not sure how you can categorically deny the existence of something without having complete confidence

What you do is look for evidence of god that is repeatable and verifiable for say two millenia fail to find it for god. You then look at the evidence that refutes it and then way it up

Anything else isn’t really very scientific

Laughs. I assume you are agnostic on psychic powers, homoeopathy, herbs curing cancer etc then as anything else would be unscientific ?
    The evidence of science [ the data] on these issues does not say we dont know it says there is no evidence to support the view that their is a god, homoeopathy works etc. No faith is required to reach this view.

CountZero

Would be fine by me I hate animals, especially cats.

So you allow your personal hatred for animals to dictate that others cannot have animals as pets, companions?
    Exactly how far would your personal dictatorship go? Banning guide dogs, hearing dogs? Banning the use of horses in environmentally friendly logging?
    🙄

batfink
    Free Member

I also hope that the attitude that allows people to just throw things away is modified. The amount of litter and landfill I see is horrible.

This.

“so what did you do with all that packaging that you produced”

“oh, well as soon as you got home, you just threw it in the bin. Then big lorries would come and collect it all.”

“What happened to it after that?”

“Erm…. we dug big holes in the ground, and buried it”

beefheart
    Free Member

Alcohol.
    Smelling of piss.

The two may be unrelated, but earlier in a ‘budget supermarket’ I encountered 2 separate individuals who reeked of piss!
    I shall be sticking to tesco in future.

wilburt
    Free Member

Religion is already unacceptable.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

…on STW clearly.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Selling the equivalent of squash and a bit of salt as a premium sports drink.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

…on STW clearly.

Bit early in the day for whining isn’t it?

taxi25
    Free Member

Mentioning religion either for or against on STW ( I hope )

fr0sty125
    Free Member

CountZero – Member

So you allow your personal hatred for animals to dictate that others cannot have animals as pets, companions?
    Exactly how far would your personal dictatorship go? Banning guide dogs, hearing dogs? Banning the use of horses in environmentally friendly logging?

I prefer the informal title of first citizen, don’t worry I wont be tyrannical. However upon my death I will be declared a god and have a month named after me.

Depends on what you mean by companions. I’m not a massive fan of animals being put to work. I absolutely hate the breeding programmes that go on. I think it is bad enough that we as species are breeding at a vast rate while not looking after our environment then we go and artificially breed domestic and agricultural animals often in appalling conditions.

fourbanger
    Free Member

I’m not sure how you can categorically deny the existence of something without having complete confidence

What you do is look for evidence of god that is repeatable and verifiable for say two millenia fail to find it for god. You then look at the evidence that refutes it and then way it up
    Anything else isn’t really very scientific

Laughs. I assume you are agnostic on psychic powers, homoeopathy, herbs curing cancer etc then as anything else would be unscientific ?
    The evidence of science [ the data] on these issues does not say we dont know it says there is no evidence to support the view that their is a god, homoeopathy works etc. No faith is required to reach this view.

Thanks. I’m an engineer. I make decisions based on numerical information and probability on a daily basis. For the record I think the existence of God is highly highly unlikely. In practical terms you could say I don’t believe in God. But science doesn’t talk in absolutes, rather balance of probability. To make the statement “God doesn’t exist” is unscientific. To simply not believe in something requires faith.
    All this arguing is making my crystals glow a funny colour. I nominate going off topic on a thread.

kimbers

Voting ukip

Junkyard
    Free Member

To make the statement “God doesn’t exist” is unscientific.

Homoeopathy does not exist and there is no “memory effect” of water
    Forgive my lack of science will you 😕

To simply not believe in something requires faith.

Lack of evidence ,for a hypothesis, is not “faith”.

can the christians who object to critical debate not just forgive us and turn the other cheek?
    Clearly you cannot beat us with a rational argument but you could do what Jesus tells you.
    An atheist is now explaining to you what the lord advised you to do…the lord does work in mysterious ways eh 😉

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Landlordism

slowoldman

I’m not sure how you can categorically deny the existence of something without having complete confidence.

By saying something along the lines of “The likelihood of X existing is vanishingly small based on the available evidence. Therefore I choose not to believe in its existence”.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Political “correctness”

slowoldman

The two may be unrelated, but earlier in a ‘budget supermarket’ I encountered 2 separate individuals who reeked of piss!

Try Waitrose, they have toilets.

Lifer
    Free Member

mikertroid – Member

Political “correctness”

😆

Yeah bloody people being nice.

Northwind

mikertroid – Member

Political “correctness”

It used to be called manners, but some people discovered that by saying “political correctness gone maaaahhhd” they could carry on being rude to people. The only people that ever use the term these days are ****s.

But I suppose I’m not allowed to call you a **** because it’s not “politically correct” 😉

Cougar

<mod>
    Whilst I enjoy a good religion thread, can we please not derail every other thread on the forum in the process? If you want to debate the the role of faith in agnostics / atheists, please start a new thread. Otherwise, shush.

Ta.

</mod>

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Well said cougar!

fourbanger
    Free Member

Junkyard, I’m not Christian. Not even religious. WTF are you on about? Go and look up the scientific method.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 129 total)

The topic ‘Acceptable behavior now but not in the future.’ is closed to new replies.