Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • AC rupture (shoulder) advice?
  • renko
    Free Member

Tore ligaments in shoulder doing a crappy little jump at Chopwell over the w/e (why, why, why?)

Doc says it’s a Type II so just sling and rest for now (rather than op) but wondering if anyone’s had similar injury and what to expect before back out on the bike?

Mostly ride XC and trail centres so jumping not really my bag – as you can gather;-)

Right, off for some more drugs now…

ta
    Dave

glenp
    Free Member

Hurts, doesn’t it? Mine was quite a big separation and never did go back to normal – the end of my collar bone is just moving around instead of being anchored to the shoulder blade. Amazingly this doesn’t seem to make much difference.

I think you have a better chance of it settling back to normal, because type two is not severed from its moorings, just stretched and strained. It will be sore for a couple of months – mine is still slightly uncomfortable two years later. I did ride my road bike just a fortnight after but was a bit shy of mountain biking for about six weeks, mainly because I didn’t want to have a silly pratfall and land on it again.

Tough luck – keep taking the Diclofenac!

sharki
    Free Member

I did a type 3 a coupe yrs back, 7 weeks off work (construction) and about the same time before i rode again…rest is needed for proper repair, you could ride in a couple weeks but it may slow the repair down and an incident coming off the bike of checking a tree may result in type 3 or worse…..

Rest it, follow any physio advice and if you have a little lump now, where your clavicle has popped up, you could wait a year or so and break it, so it drops back a little more discrete…..

Mine still ached after 18mths…but WAS improving…..i was suffering muscle cramps in the back of the shoulder during enduros, which was slightly related…but they got less as time went by.

FieldMarshall

I suffered a Type II sublaxation of the AC joint about 3 years ago, i.e. displaced joint, ruptured ligaments etc.

Paid for physio privately. Not cheap but well worth it, as I was back riding within 4 weeks and rode Marin trail after only 6 weeks.

I was very disciplined at doing the exercises that the physio gave me and according to physio made a very good recovery very quickly.

A friend of a friend who is a physio also told me that the sooner I started exercising and trying to regain full movement the better. I think he was right.

I wore a neoprene shoulder support with in built protection for first few rides. Although very hot it gave me the confidence to ride hard again.

The most painful part was the weight of my camelbak on that joint.

I still have a lump where the AC joint sticks up but it is not painful and the joint is as strong as ever, despite it looking “out of joint”

funkynick

I never did find out what type mine was when I did it about 4/5 years ago or so… but as you are probably finding out it hurt like ****! The weirdest thing was just letting my muscles relax on that shoulder and I could feel the arm dropping down and my shoulder seperating…

Anyway, didn’t need an op, but it was a possibility for a month or two, depending on how well it all healed. I had it in a sling with no movement allowed for about 4/6 weeks before being sent to the physio for some exercises. All through this time I had a bike on a turbo set up in the lounge and would ride that every day… but didn’t get on a bike until about 8 weeks after it happened, and then only on the road for a while.

That shoulder still isn’t quite right even now, and I have a nice little lump where one of the bones sticks out at the wrong angle, plus it clicks nicely if I move it around too much, but for the most part it’s not a problem.

Good luck with it…

glenp
    Free Member

One minor point – don’t throw anything with that arm! That really does hurt!

mistermouse
    Free Member

I found this site very helpfull

http://www.shoulderdoc.co.uk/index.asp

I’ve had both shoulders strapped back together and i think they are stronger than before now.
    On the other hand i have just broken my thumb and am in a cast for another 4 weeks before i can even think about riding.

renko
    Free Member

Cheers fellas – aye, does hurt a tad;-)

Past exploits taught me you gotta be disciplined with the physio, so guess I’ll take my cue from that.
    Have had stabilisation surgery on same shoulder following several kayaking dislocations and that seems bomber but was worried a bit about strength of clavicle once healed.

Yeah, looks dropped and a little odd where sticks up but guess that might improve a bit after a couple of months…

Cheers again
    Dave

renko
    Free Member

Just a thought…

Has anyone come across one of these bad boys and if so, what do you think?

EVS SB02 Shoulder Support

Any views? Was thinking I might need one when I start biking again just to be one the safe side.

Cheers

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘AC rupture (shoulder) advice?’ is closed to new replies.