Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Abused by driver of works van – should I report him to his employer?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I’m not comfortable with all this denouncing people to the authorities stuff

If you were CEO of a big company, how would you feel if your employees were going around being screaming at and abusing the general public with your company’s name emblazoned on their van and likely their shirt too?

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    Do it. Its always worth while

Another +1, done it before, will do it again. Any knob who thinks they can drive like a knob in a liveried van needs a wake up call.

dan1980
    Free Member

I had something similar from a bus a while ago.

I emailed the company very politely explaining what happened and got a fairly generic response of :

I am writing in response to your complaint date the 29th October 2010 regarding an incident with one of our buses operating along Palatine Road.

I was extremely shocked to read the details of your e-mail. The safety of our passengers and other road users is Stagecoach’s top priority. To this end all of our drivers receive extensive training and we also undertake regular driving assessments. The driver in question will be seen in line with internal company procedures in order to prevent a reoccurrence.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for bringing the matter to my attention and apologise on behalf of Stagecoach Manchester for any inconvenience and distress that this incident caused you.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. If you do not feel that your concerns have been satisfactorily addressed within this response, we would like you to write to us at the following address and let us know why:

I don’t actually feel any better for having done it, and the driver and “customer service” will probably have had a good laugh at a w**nker of a militant cyclist. The regularity of these things happening makes me wonder if I’m just a crap cyclist, or whether the bus drivers have a game of “how many cyclists can I cause to take evasive action/intimidate”

uplink
    Free Member

If you were CEO of a big company, how would you feel if your employees were going around being screaming at and abusing the general public with your company’s name emblazoned on their van and likely their shirt too?

What’s that got to do with anything?

I’m not & if I was I wouldn’t expect random Joe Publics to watch out for my company
    It’s far too open for the denouncer to ‘sex it up’ a bit just for effect or badness

Likewise, if any kid told me that my kid had whacked him, I’d tell him to go & find him whack him back, twice

NZCol

I was sitting having a coffee after a roadie a couple of years back with a riding group when a works van pulled up parked, sunny day on Welly waterfront. Guy proceeds to dump all the rubbish out the window (mcd’s wrappers, coffee cups etc etc) and they go to drive away. Sadly for him a guy in our riding group OWNED THE COMPANY! He got marched that day. Unbelievable, total karma moment that one.

I got reprimanded for fishtailing our company car away from the lights when i was young(er) and more stupid(er).

molgrips
    Free Member

What’s that got to do with anything?

Then you’ve got a person doing something that’s bad for us, and is bad for his company, so you’re doing everyone a favour with a quick phone call. I wouldn’t fire someone based on a phone report like that, but I’d investigate.

Greater good.

Likewise, if any kid told me that my kid had whacked him, I’d tell him to go & find him whack him back, twice

So violence should be met with more violence? Great lesson! Coupled with thinking people should be allowed to get away with whatever they want if no-one important is watching.

jon1973
    Free Member

Sort it out yourself or let it pass IMO

Really? How about if your son came home with a split lip and a bloody nose and told you he’d been beaten up, would you chastise him for reporting it to you and tell him to go and sort it out himself or forget about it?

racemonkey

I made a complaint about the way a police vehicle was being driven and was thanked for making the complaint by the inspector who was allocated to deal with the complaint and the sergeant who took the details.

I’ve spoken to the inspector a couple of time since and he’s given me updates and also let me decide how I wanted the officer dealt with, formal or informal.

Good procedure IMHO.

Brycey
    Free Member

” I wouldn’t fire someone based on a phone report like that…”

You’d be doing well to.

molgrips
    Free Member

EDIT: mis-read reply.

Simon-E

Should I call his HR dept.

Absolutely yes, without doubt.

I’m a serial complainer. My adage is: if you don’t complain nothing ever gets fixed. Whether it’s talking on mobile phones, tailgating or bus/taxi drivers cutting me up then braking if I think it warrants it I’ll email or phone the company. Some responses are more vigilant than others but most companies take it seriously. One local business wrote back to say that they guy had been warned about it before and was sacked on the spot. Perhaps he was, perhaps he wasn’t but I did my bit for road safety.

Complained about a police driver once, he was driving a marked car like a stupid young pr*ck along a busy and accident-prone stretch of the A5 in Shropshire. West Mercia took it seriously – an investigation, home visit from the appropriate officer to make a statement, fill in forms etc.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

If you feel the driving was really bad then yes you should report it.

I’ve actually just written an email to a haulage company complaining about one of their lorry drivers who was driving like a complete tool earlier this morning and nearly drove over the bonnet of my car as a result. Way I see it is if you’re driving a vehicle with the company name in foot high letters down the side you’re fair game if you drive like a moron and endanger others.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

What about going to his work, and asking him why he was calling you a ****, and if he’d act like that when walking down the street if someone got in his way?

saladdodger
    Free Member

I drive a white van for a living as a servic e engineer so my answer has to be

YES

report him because he does his employer no justice what so ever so there is potential work lost for them.

just my opinion

toys19
    Free Member

I would always report him if you are sure your concience is clean.

I was splitting traffic on my gsxr when a white van coming towards me moved over on to the dotted white line and essentially forced me back inbetween cars, I only just made it, and as he was coming towards me he was giving it the full wrist action sign.

I turned around and caught up behind him, but I was boiling and at a loss as to what to do, despite the company name and reg no no being etched on my mind.

So I backed off and went on my way.

I told my then MD when I got to work and she hatched a revenge plan. She got our purchasing manager to call the company (an office furniture outfit) and enquire about a big order for our office, agreed a price and said we would fax a purchase order through. Purchasing manager then called back later and reported that our MD had refused to sign the order based on what she had witnessed that morning. It then turned out they had had four calls already that day reporting the incident and that matey was already on his final warning from previous issues. The next morning the MD of the furniture company called my MD and told her that he had sacked Mr Driver, apparantley some of the others who had called in had called the police as well. My MD replied that in the interim she had ordered from someone else, sorry..

sturmey
    Free Member

How did the van driver know derekstarship plays with himself?

Kevevs
    Free Member

Yes, If that’s the truth. I’m surprised you have to ask people on the internet TBH!

uplink
    Free Member

Really? How about if your son came home with a split lip and a bloody nose and told you he’d been beaten up, would you chastise him for reporting it to you

No

and tell him to go and sort it out himself or forget about it?

As long as it was his age group – yes

molgrips
    Free Member

Personally, I’d try and teach my son about non-violent conflict resolution rather than letting him either get stuck in himself or being forever intimidated by someone who is just harder than he is.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I’d try and teach my son about non-violent conflict resolution

even if he was being bullied for being too middle class
    you mean run dont you

molgrips
    Free Member

Running is one option yes 🙂

Non violent conflict resolution is something I had to learn a lot about as a kid.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Well…..after much cogitation and deconstruction, I decided against reporting the driver of van 209.

In hindsight, after he (badly) cut me up on the roundabout, I did play with him a bit which may have precipitated his outrageous behaviour. He is obviously a chronic bellend and I imagine a bollocking from his boss would result in van 209 telling him to eff off and instant dismissal would ensue. I don’t want me or my wife to be affected by the fallout of such an outcome so I’m not going to light the touch paper this time. People can be be traced much more easily these days and I wouldn’t want this guy showing up at my work or worse, home.

Case closed 😉

DezB
    Free Member

As per usual –
    -STWer has a decision to be made
    -Asks about decision on STW
    -STWers debate, argue disagree and generally whinge about decision
    -STWer ignores arguments, advice and disagreements and makes his own decision anyway

🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

So what’s new Dez? 😉

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I got road raged by the driver of a Staples lorry a while back – I had overtaken him with plenty of room and for some reason he got in a strop about it, tailgated me (once I approached slow traffic) then jumped out at the red lights and had a go at me. I may have slightly annoyed him by sitting there grinning at him…

He then drove like a complete nutter into a busy city in an artic lorry! Got his reg plate and rang Staples pronto.

If someone is stupid enough to endanger life while covered in a companies logos, they deserve to be fired.

revs1972
    Free Member

I took a call at work once by an irate driver complaining about being cut up by one of our works vans. He demanded to speak to the managing director. He was not in so the bloke demanded his mobile number which I duly gave to him. He rang the number and spoke to the managing director in person.
    Apparently he was spouting all sorts of crap to the MD about being verbally assaulted by the driver and that they had tried to run him off the road etc etc.
    I would have paid money to have seen the blokes face when the driver of the van (our MD) waved to him and told him who he was.
    (not condoning his crap driving though)

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Abused by driver of works van – should I report him to his employer?’ is closed to new replies.