• This topic has 51 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by kcr.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Abused and came off on black ice. How was your commute?
  • chilled76
    Free Member

Seems the weather makes drivers VERY angry. Lots of “use the cycle path” horn warriors.

So then I did… and came off on some black ice as the paths hadn’t been gritted.

Grrrrr vent over!

Murray

Justified vent. A lot of arses on the road.

RoterStern
    Free Member

TBH I wouldn’t ride on roads in snowy and and icy conditions in the UK because most UK drivers are utterly clueless how to drive in said conditions and most don’t have the appropriate tires anyway.

Daffy

chilled76 – Member
    Seems the weather makes drivers VERY angry. Lots of “use the cycle path” horn warriors.

So then I did… and came off on some black ice as the paths hadn’t been gritted.

Grrrrr vent over!

I had this last year with exactly the same result.

Roter Stern – Member
    TBH I wouldn’t ride on roads in snowy and and icy conditions in the UK because most UK drivers are utterly clueless how to drive in said conditions and most don’t have the appropriate tires anyway.

I now do this or use the Fatbike with flats and a low saddle.

chilled76
    Free Member

It was the mtb or the motorbike. Wife has the car on Mondays. I think despite the off I made the right choice, sliding down the road with a 1000cc bike on top of me would have been a lot more painful.

MartynS

We were out yesterday and got close passed on an off road section!
    Chap in 4×4 coming down track to fast, made absolutely no attempt to slow as he approached us, we’re at a narrowing bit, I’m not comfy with a car coming at me at 20-25 on hard pack snow, as he passes I might have sworn at him. He slides to a halt and begins to have a right go. It ends with him telling me he’s local and is sick of townies getting in his way.
    We were half a mile from home…
    At least I know he lives near…. he’ll struggle without his windscreen wipers in this weather

jeffl

Yep after coming off on the ice a few years ago when commuting to work I don’t take the bike if it’s icy. Train or if it’s not too bad the car.

scotroutes

My experience of winter commuting in Edinburgh was quite the opposite. On some days I’d have drivers winding down their windows to congratulate me – usually as I was filtering past them all.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i fitted the wifes bike with her schwalbe ice spikes before i left in anticipation of snowmageddon.

seems this was the right thing to do. She said she didnt meet a soul on the railway line this morning.

MoreCashThanDash

Trying to decide whether to ride in tomorrow on the MTB with Ice Spikers. Will keep me upright on the off road/ungritted sections, will destroy my quads and will to win on the gritted tarmac sections. Roughly 6 miles of each, each way.

ransos
    Free Member

You just have to ignore the nobbers. Cycle paths are rarely gritted so stick to the main road if it’s icy.

crazy-legs

How was your commute?

My train only had 2 carriages instead of the normal 4 so it was absolutely rammed. However as I get on it near the start of its journey, I had a seat and I went to sleep, only waking up once it was time to force my way out of the sardine can.

Not riding in this weather – the pavements are lethal and a lot of the side roads haven’t been gritted.

Junkyard
    Free Member

this I dont commute when its icy as 8 miles are off road- but tarmac- and its just impossible to ride it and stay upright/avoid the dog walkers etc

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Schwalbe studded tyres work fine on ice. They are harder work than my usual 40mm slicks, but then it’s harder work in winter anyway.

That’s for a 40 mile round trip commute in Perthshire so been getting icy patches for at least the last month. I’d far rather be on minor roads and cycle paths than main roads and my safety on ice is my responsibility, not the councils.

scotroutes

Studded tyres ftw

reformedfatty
    Free Member

Studded tyres on today. Combined with a 25mph headwind it was a battle to get in. Slower speeds from me meant more dodgy passes from cars.

13thfloormonk

Cycle paths between Forth Road Bridge and Edinburgh City Centre seemed well gritted, only sideways moment was one of the few junctions on main roads, by the Royal Elizabeth Yard warehouses behind Dalmeny.

All in all pretty good commute today, icy beard but beautiful sunrise and finally got my layering* right so no sweaty gear to dry out in the office 8)

*actually didn’t change my layering, just rode slower. 25km/h for the win!

zilog6128

Madness not to use studded tyres when there’s ice about! Plus there is very little more satisfying than hopping onto the pavement & cruising past all the struggling cars with a cheery wave 😀

thenorthwind

Gave my girlfriend my usual commuter with studded tyres and rode in on my chubby bike. Wasn’t expecting the chubby tyres to have that much more grip on hard packed snow, but there was loads. Great fun.

prawny

I put my ice spikes on yesterday and tried it out in the cul de sac – I nearly fell off 4 times, just too much snow lying.

It was still coming down overnight so I walked to the train station today. I’ll see how it goes today and make a call tomorrow.

scotroutes

prawny – Member
    I put my ice spikes on yesterday and tried it out in the cul de sac – I nearly fell off 4 times, just too much snow lying.

Yeah, something like spiked Marathons will be overwhelmed by snow. I found Conti Spike Claws to be a good multi-condition option.

fifeandy
    Free Member

my commute was pretty good.
    windscreen didnt take too much scraping, roads weren’t too frozen, and not that much traffic so made it in a few mins early to accumulate some positive flexi-balance.

Side note: One for the Edinburgh commuters.
    I was in Edinburgh for a training course the other day – loads of bikes on the road, but roughly a third didn’t have lights, and another third had lights you could only see from 2m away – is this normal, and do they all have some sort of death-wish?

scotroutes

Yes it’s normal.

When I worked in The Bike Chain we’d regularly commute carrying an extra set of lights we’d acquired in a deal (they were Niteriders IIRC), then offer them free to anyone we met with no lights. The phrase “you couldn’t give them away” came to have a very real meaning.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i didnt find conti MTB spikes any better in snow than marathons tbh. – marathons even work in mud and rocks really well – have done the puffer on them twice !

if the snows deep enough to overwhelm marathons your going to want to floatation.

if floatation doesnt work leave the bike , crack out the snow shoes and get to the library – start burning books. Day after tomorrow has struck.

Blackflag
    Free Member

“At least I know he lives near…. he’ll struggle without his windscreen wipers in this weather”

Excellent stuff, we need more street justice dealt out to these fools. Good luck.

prawny

Mine are Conti Nordic Spikes, should have been god I’d have thought, but weren’t 😆

brakes
    Free Member

ok in London, just slush and rain. grim.
    I set off early whilst it was quite.

Ewan
    Free Member

Did my normal bracknell to woking. Figured it was raining so there wouldn’t be much ice – there wasn’t – just a head wind and grimmness.

Hope you’re not hurt OP.

scruff
    Free Member

Came in on the MTB, lots of snow and ice but hardly any traffic do was on cycle paths and roads. Quite enjoyed it. Already 3 bikes in the work shed.

fasthaggis

Same as that monk fella,layering was just right and only one speedway moment on a bit of offcamber pavement.Beautiful morning,the sunrise was breathtaking.

loads of bikes on the road, but roughly a third didn’t have lights, and another third had lights you could only see from 2m away – is this normal, and do they all have some sort of death-wish?

Aye,those deliveroo rider ae. 😉

P-Jay
    Free Member

Not great, the windscreen was clear which was a nice surprise, but it took a while for the seat heaters to do much and Radio 2 was a shambles this morning.

Bloody cyclists all over the road too next to a perfectly good cycle path – I don’t pay my Road Tax to have freeloaders hold me up!

TiRed

Trike to work day. Actually I’m driving as I worked late and it’s pouring. Cyclepaths will be deadly at the moment crushed re-frozen ice? No thanks.

rocketman
    Free Member

Fine really

Heated seats on low

Torque vectoring/traction control/stability control/anti lock brakes work just as well in ice and snow

NewRetroTom

Lovely commute this morning. Took the muddy route in, knowing that all the mud would be properly frozen for the first time this winter.

Some impressive icicles in the old railway tunnel.

antigee

looks like NewRetroTom is heading towards a spacegate type thingy there… great pic
    and a big up to all those riding on spikes (or not) impressed

hjghg5
    Free Member

Fairly decent. Wore just the right number of layers and there was a taxi drivers protest in the city centre. It didn’t affect the route I usually use but did mean that the roadworks heading out towards my office which I usually use a cycle path to avoid were really clear because no-one (except cyclists ;)) could get passed the blocked junctions to that bit of road.

addy6402

Another enjoyable commute on the fat bike today, the canal towpath was nice and quiet. If it all ices up it might get a bit more interesting!

milky1980
    Free Member

Same as normal for me, a bit cold and quiet.

But then it was 5am and we haven’t had any snow 😥

ivantate
    Free Member

I don’t really agree but can see where the car drivers are coming from if conditions are bad.

To try and go around a cyclist could put you in deep snow or truck ruts into oncoming traffic etc…..

Changing conditions and ice also mean you may only have control to within 2 or 3 feet to where you want to be. If a cyclist just happens to be using that space when you need it, then there is an ‘accident’. Fine if you are Sat in the car with your heated seat on.

Since moving to Illinois I have seen the most stupid behaviour in the snow from drivers which is amazing considering its white outside for at least 3 months a year. Changed my opinion of getting near roads on a bike, still do it, but now ultra defensive.

grenosteve
    Free Member

Was ok in Sheffield this morning, bit of frozen show up in Grenoside, but ok everywhere else. I normally take an indirect route to work, but took with the straight-ish route as it’s all on roadside cycle paths that get the grit from the road. Didn’t have any car issues as they where all going pretty slow.

Would have taken the car, but the heater is broke at the min. 🙁

Was also disappointed with the snow we had at the weekend, was looking forward to riding the fat bike through deep snow, but we just had a dusting. 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Abused and came off on black ice. How was your commute?’ is closed to new replies.