Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Abuse of walkers – Glyncorrwg
  • Klunk
    Free Member

from http://www.afanforestpark.co.uk

Forest Cycle Code

Expect the unexpected! Keep you speed down.

Remember other vehicles use forest roads as well as you!

Give way to walkers, be friendly towards other forest users.

Keep away from forest operations.

Do not pass any vehicle loading timber until you have been told to do so.

Footpaths are for walkers only.

Cycle with care.

Take into consideration that the low level cycle route is multi-used by families, walkers, horse riders and mountain bikers.

grum
    Free Member

Has the OP been back yet? I call troll.

Apologies if I’m wrong.

james_turk
    Free Member

I’m sure it’s not trolling, a similar thing happened to me, again in Glyncorrwg. For a reason I won’t go into, I was walking down the White’s level climb when I cam across 2 guys riding up, one of whom was clearly looking for an argument. Started shouting at me, telling me I shouldn’t be walking here, before threatening me with physical violence.

Of course, I had every right to walk there. The land is managed by Natural Resources Wales, and owned by the Welsh Government, meaning that there is an open access policy in place, so anyone can walk or ride anywhere.

glyncorrwgwalker
    Free Member

Thanks for all your comments. It’s been very reassuring to read them.

As people have said this type of event is very rare – I am in my mid-fifties and this is the first time something like this has happened.

I did report the incident on the same day by email to the manager of Glyncorrwg bike centre. As I haven’t yet had a response to that I decided to join this forum just to make this post – which is why my first post is rather negative – sorry about that.

I considered reporting to the police, but I have few useful details (four male mountian bikers, probably mid twenties, one called Chris) and to be fair to them I feel sure that once they calmed down they would have realised that their behaviour was over the top. In fact of the four one was quiet the whole time, another two mostly just shouted at me, while it was the last who had a severe anger management problem who did the spitting, pushing and almost continuous strong verbal abuse with threatened violence.
    It was unfortunate that to walk away I had to walk past them (within spitting distance) as the bike track was behind me and they were across the footpath ahead.
    That one rider probably needs anger management therapy more than police intervention, but his friends should have been aware of his nature and tried to calm him rather than join in his shouting.

Anyway, I really appreciate all your comments and feel much better after having shared this here (as I’m retired and live alone). Hopefully I’ll be able to get a good nights sleep again now.

wrecker
    Free Member

meaning that there is an open access policy in place, so anyone can walk or ride anywhere.

I can ride all the footpaths at FC places? SWEET

richc
    Free Member

I can ride all the footpaths at FC places? SWEET

No, you can walk all the footpaths at FC places.

scuttler

Sorry to hear your story glyncorrwgwalker and hope you get some resolution. Inexcusable behaviour.

Mr Silent Type should man up and confront his angry mates. There’s no way I’d let my mates get away with treating a stranger like that unless it was patently obvious the stranger was the provocateur (i.e. the one who started the pushing and spitting, not the one who was ‘in the wrong’).

philwarren11
    Free Member

Were they local riders or foreigners?

zelak999
    Free Member

I’ve got to admire your forgival nature glyncorrwgwalker, i would be having a few anger management issues of my own if i was treated like that.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Abuse of walkers – Glyncorrwg’ is closed to new replies.