Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Abuse of cyclists “almost like racial discrimination,” claims AA President
  • brooess
    Free Member

Hurray for Edmund King!

And Carlton Reid, who he’s been working with…

lipseal
    Free Member

Yep some string stuff being tweeted 😥

stick_man

He is absolutely spot on.

The police ought to be dealing with the Cycle Hatred tweets just as they do with racial abuse and threats.

And the courts need to start handing out some proper deterrent sentences where aggresive or reckless driving has been proven.

The media need to stop shit stirring too but apart from taking Jeremy Vine off the air I’m not sure what you do about that.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The media need to stop shit stirring too but apart from taking Jeremy Vine off the air I’m not sure what you do about that.

It’d be a good start.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Ban the Bristol Evening Post’s letter pages, and probably other local rags too.

eyerideit
    Free Member

What if you’re a racial minority and cycle, how’s the abuse ‘almost’ classified then?

Hyper-racism?

Cyclical-neo fascism?

But seriously being verbally abused on a bike is nowhere near being abused for being a dirty f***king P*ki B*stard – believe me I know.

mikeconnor
    Free Member

Why are so many car drivers so angry?

cooie

^^This

crazy-legs

brooess
    Free Member

Sold the dream that cars were the paradise of personal freedom.
    Dream was oversold, driving now often more stressful and longer than the other options
    See others getting round with ease. Jealous.
    Add in: surrounded by a metal box isolating you from fellow road users, leading to lack of empathy and effective communication…

People get stroppy on the Tube all the time when others get in the way but you tend to get a dialogue between the two which generally ends in an embarrassed silence or a smile and lack of lingering conflict….

druidh
    Free Member

I’m particularly thinking of some of those guys who video their commute every day.

nealglover
    Free Member

Why are so many car drivers people so angry?

mikeconnor
    Free Member

Sold the dream that cars were the paradise of personal freedom.
    Dream was oversold, driving now often more stressful and longer than the other options
    See others getting round with ease. Jealous.
    Add in: surrounded by a metal box isolating you from fellow road users, leading to lack of empathy and effective communication…

A very good summary actually. thanks.

samuri
    Free Member

I drove to work the other day.

I got really angry because it was so rubbish. Going to work wasn’t too bad but coming home, stuck in traffic, red lights, dickheads cutting me up. ARRRGGGH! Took me twenty minutes longer to drive the 15 miles home than it would on my bike.

So don’t be too hard on car drivers, They are slaves. Like everyone else who drives, they were born into bondage. Into a prison that you cannot taste or see or touch. A prison for your mind.

druidh
    Free Member

Red pill please

alex222
    Free Member

They are slaves. Like everyone else who drives, they were born into bondage. Into a prison that you cannot taste or see or touch. A prison for your mind.

You are Karl Marx and I claim my £5

zbonty

Amen!

In about 15 minutes i will have to run the gauntlet of the feckers trying to leave the ind. estate faster than is safe/sensible.

The urgent overtake, followed by hard left (to join 100m queue at the lights!!)is a guarantee round here on a Friday.

samuri
    Free Member

A black Karl Marx, yes. 😉

binners

Indeed samuri. On my rather lovely commute home last night, I crossed over the motorway, and had a little chuckle to myself at the nose-to-tail, stationary traffic, stretching out into the distance below me. If I’d have been stuck in that, I’d be pretty none plussed too. Luckily I had an empty B road in front of me instead. Smugness isn’t a nice trait, I know, but…. 🙂

Kit
    Free Member

Been in Kyoto about half a day and can’t fail to notice how well respected pedestrians and cyclists seem to be. Mostly because there’s no pavements and lots of narrow streets, and apparently cyclists can/do ignore the one-way system.

No conflict, no stress… although I imagine the metro during rush-hour is a different story 😉

alex222
    Free Member

A black Karl Marx, yes.

Karl Marx was always black and he is still alive on a spaceship with Elvis (who is also black) BIG and 2pac (who are both actually white)

True Story

DezB
    Free Member

Maybe, because like a lot of people on this very forum, they expect driving a car to be FUN. When it’s not they look for someone to blame.

ashfanman
    Free Member

Why are so many car drivers road users so angry?

Why are so many car drivers people so angry? are twunts.

That’s what it boils down to, in my experience. Lots of people are just intolerant and get needlessly wound up by anything that either interrupts their life or doesn’t directly align with their personal ideals, be it race, religion, the sports team you support or chosen mode of transport.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i was thinking about this on my commute this morning.

in the car i can’t get to work as fast as possible (even regarding speed limits) some other car/ traffic jam/ cyclist is holding me up delaying my journey; ends in resentment of the time that i have lost

on the bike it’s different. it takes longer (it doesn’t but bear with me) but i don’t get delayed in the same way, how fast i go is determined by me, if i feel lazy i just pootle along, or i can rip along a max speed. i can’t do this in a car, i am limited by either speed limits or congestion.

nealglover
    Free Member

I drive pretty much everywhere for work because I have to.

I don’t get angry about things though, I’m rarely more chilled out than I am when I’m driving.

Traffic doesn’t really bother me. I may sit back and go with the flow.

I let people out of side roads, I give bikes plenty of room, I wave at kids on motorway bridges.

Happy all the way.

I must be unique.

druidh
    Free Member

Nope. IMHO, most driving stress is caused by folk needing to be somewhere at a certain time, or having unrealistic expectations of how long a journey will take. My tip – leave earlier!

loum
    Free Member

I don’t think so many are. You just notice and remember the angry ones more. Millions are just normal folk, not angry.

mattjg
    Free Member

I don’t think so many are. You just notice and remember the angry ones more. Millions are just normal folk, not angry.

I think you’re right.

But I don’t think angry drivers setting out injure cyclists are really a big problem, there are very very few of them.

The big danger comes from the rushed, careless, stressed, incompetent and ignorant. There are millions of them and it’s those that cause the SMIDSYs and carnage.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

they compared us to vegies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Abuse of cyclists “almost like racial discrimination,” claims AA President’ is closed to new replies.