• This topic has 22 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Alex.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Absolute oval chainring -any users?
  • zelak999
    Free Member

Any body using these oval chain rings?
    Are they noticeably better than round?
    Does it take a long time to adjust to using them?

iain1775
    Free Member

Not an Absolute one but have a Works Components one
    I likes it, seems easier when climbing but not really a massive difference (it was on offer and cheaper than getting a round one somImfigured I had nothing to loose giving it a go), adapted quite quickly, within one ride although it can still feel odd for a bit when swopping from bike without to the one with

jemima
    Free Member

I use a OneUp one.
    I could convince myself climbs are a little faster/easier.
    No – not at all.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Works here too, agree with both of the above.

Was up Ben Ledi on Sunday, had a spin on my mates bike on a climb as he reckoned the suspension was clunky, same gearing as mine but round ring and I reckon it didn’t feel as good. Could just have been his bike, but it does feel a little better climbing, particularly on loose rocky stuff.

Picto
    Free Member

Using an absolute black oval ring on my single speed it’s ok. Previously used a rotor oval ring which I really liked. Made spinning at high revs feel smoother compared to a round ring. Also felt it gave more drive when 1/2 pedalling on steep techy sections.

Picto
    Free Member

Using an absolute black oval ring on my single speed it’s ok. Previously used a rotor oval ring which I really liked. Made spinning at high revs feel smoother compared to a round ring. Also felt it gave more drive when 1/2 pedalling on steep techy sections.

julians
    Free Member

I also have the works components oval narrow wide ring (because it was cheaper than a normal round narrow wide ring), before I bought it I was sceptical, but in use it feels like I am pedalling in one gear lower than the gear I’m in.

Swapped bikes with a mate who’s bike has slightly lower gearing (ie easier pedalling), part way up a long climb, but mine felt easier to pedal. Also got a whole load of new fastest times up various climbs.

Apart from the easier pedalling, it didnt feel any different in use, ie I couldnt tell it wasnt round.

I’m converted.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

AB here. Good on low-cadence out of the saddle stuff.

schmiken

Rotor Q Rings on all my bikes, road and MTB. Definitely wouldn’t go back.

eatplants
    Free Member

run my roadrat 1×10 with a B/LABS ring , 36t 11-36 ,had a round 36 before i find the oval better on climbs and accelerating , run my solaris with an AB 64bcd 28t 11-36 and AB bash combo , beautiful machining , was going to go 11 speed as i wanted a smaller easy gear (was on 30t round) but this is great , i love the way it feels on techie slow climbs , doesn’t offer anything over round at high (110+) cadence but every where else better , get used to it in minutes . Still got a round on my five but when thats worn out AB will be going on. and in case you don’t know chain reaction cycles do a cheaper range of AB made rings with less pretty machining but the same otherwise.
    Don’t know if others have an opinion on this but , i have had ACL reconstruction on right knee and i find the ovals much better when doing long rides over the round.

Northwind

I’ve got an absolute black one, it’s really nicely made but I can’t honestly tell any difference when riding. That doesn’t mean there isn’t any- if it makes everything easier, I’ll just go faster, I wouldn’t necessarily know.

bearGrease

@eatplants – did you move the chainline for the 64mm BCD ring? How is it over the smaller cogs in the cassette?

eatplants
    Free Member

bearGrease , helpfully i took some photos , unfortunately i can’t post them ! , the chain line is better on the cotic solaris in the 64 position double xt cranks no spacer , better as in the middle gears are about straight and the big and small have the same amount of deflection . the clearance on the frame is very tight though(but fine functionally) at the widest ovality , i don’t know what you have but just bear that in mind , adding a spacer would make the clearance better but on the big cogs the chain-line worse , because for me when on the trail i am in the middle third of the cassette most, i find it better overall than the 104 position where the big cogs were more extreme .

mtbrog
    Free Member

I have the absolute black version, the only area I can feel the difference is on very steep prolonged climbs where I am on the limit of the gearing, I can feel the slightly easier effort required on the down stroke…..as intended I guess!

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

I’ve got a 32t AB one. Put it straight on a new bike. Should have tested on my old one really to give a fair comparison. But I bloody love it on the new one, or it might be the bike…?

mattjg
    Free Member

I have an AB on a 29 fs trail bike. IMO it works, and the higher the cadence the more effective it is, like when spinning up to accelerate on a climb.

& it feels natural not lumpy.

I’m sold, basically.

swanny853

I’ve gone from being underwhelmed to missing it when on a different bike. Not a lot, but I do.

I think I notice it more at high cadences- my rear mech was jumping in the highest gear recently, at least I thought it was in highest but it turned out it wasn’t quite shifting in. In the past not having that gear would have driven me crazy on the road leg home but with the oval it took me a good few rides to realise what was going on.

I’d buy again, but I wouldn’t pay a huge premium, put it that way!

Poopscoop

Yeah, I’ve got the AB oval.

I think it’s a subtle difference but it’s there.

I could be imagining this but my bad knee seems to be playing up less too. Obviously can’t say if that’s linked but I’m wondering if it takes a bit of strain off my knees at the top of the stroke?

Matt24k
    Free Member

I have an AB Oval 34t and my creaky left knee prefers it.
    I can pedal a slightly higher gear than with a round ring up some regular climbs. It may be a placebo effect but if it works for me, it works.
    I also moved the chain line by putting 2 spacers on the drive side of the the BB. It’s only 2.5mm but it gives a much better chain line across the range of my XT/One Up 11-45t cassette.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I’ve gone from being underwhelmed to missing it when on a different bike.

That’s actually something of an endorsement I reckon.

🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, I’d say that too, not really hugely noticeable til I get on my other MTB with a standard ring.

oxym0r0n

Does the 2mm offset make a difference on a triple and anyone fitted a 32t to a Turbine crank? Thanks

Alex

I have on fitted to a direct mount Turbine – it’s a 32T. On my Bird Aeris

I don’t really notice it but it’s definitely improved the way the bike climbs. I was skeptical especially because I ride on flats, but it does seem to ‘push’ the back pedal up. Most noticable for me on slow/almost stalled climbs where it just gets you over the line.

Rode my HT on std ring the other day and definitely noticed the difference. To the point of buying an oval for that as well.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Absolute oval chainring -any users?’ is closed to new replies.