• This topic has 16 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by fibre.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Absolute muppet content – Can I save my new ruined forks
  • scandal42
    Free Member

Just performed an oil change and reduced the travel of my new to me Fox 34’s, everything was going swimmingly and I was just tightening up the nut on the air spring side when I was distracted by my good lady, turns out carrying on tightening whilst having a chat results in totally **** up your fork

What are my options? I am guessing an entirely new air spring needs fitting but I can’t seem to find any for sale. It’s a 2013 Fox float ctd, and until this moment of utter horsecockery I was loving them.

grahamt1980

Probably worth contacting tf tuned or mojo and asking how much a new cart will be. Doubt it will be cheap though

njee20
    Free Member

Isn’t that just the nut? The issue you have is getting the remnants out, but if you can surely you just need to replace that?

cokie

^^ What Njee said.
    I would have thought removing the rest of the nut and then finding a replacement is all you need to do.. I say all, that maybe a bit complicated.

grahamt1980

It looks like it has sheared the bolt rather than stuffed up the nut

legend
    Free Member

It’s not just the nut, the spring rod protrudes out of the bottom of the fork, and it’s been snapped off by the look of it (I did the same thing to an old Vanilla 125 once).

Best bet is TF Tuned then Mojo. It was years ago that I had the problem and TF sorted me with an old one they had lying around

scandal42
    Free Member

Cheers all

Legend has it, it’s fully snapped the spring rod, the strange thing was I felt very little resistance, certainly not enough to expect this to happen.

Stevet1
    Free Member

How did your good lady distract you so much?

bigyinn
    Free Member

You’ll need to replace the air spring plunger I think. Its only plastic, so doesn’t need horsing up. Shouldnt be too difficult to do either, but I’ve no idea how much the part would be. Try loco tuning to see if he can help.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

How did your good lady distract you so much?

There is a joke about ‘nut tightening’ in here somewhere, but I’m not sure it’s appropriate.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Contact Mojo.

They will be able to sort you out without much bother.

LoCo
    Free Member

The 34 linear air springs assms are a bit different to the older float air assms, which had a removeable stud on the bottom, this maybe a whole now shaft.
    Feel free to give us a call . 😀

waspfactory191
    Free Member

Loco sorted mine out when I had a similar problem a few years ago. I just had to remove the rod, post it to him and receive it fixed a few days later.

I think its aluminium, which explains why it feels like cheese as you shear it.

I recommend you get a torque wrench when you re fit it.

snownrock

I did the exact same thing a few years ago, luckily it was only a replacement nut for me, which LoCo kindly sorted for me

scandal42
    Free Member

Fingers crossed, I’ll give you a call later LoCo

honourablegeorge

I know a guy who did the exact same thing a while back *cough* What an idiot *cough*

Anyhow, the rod for the air spring was available from the local equivalent of Mojo, and it was fixed cheaply. Was far less expensive han expected.

fibre
    Free Member

I know that feeling, did that to my Marzocchi Shivers back in the day 😳

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Absolute muppet content – Can I save my new ruined forks’ is closed to new replies.