• This topic has 98 replies, 43 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by juan.
Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • Absolute Carnage – Worlds XC.
  • Dougal
    Free Member

OK then people, to stop the bitching on this thread describe your ideal XC course.

Aviemore SXC course, tech climbs, tech descents, and a nuts fast singletrack descent section. Was yesterday, so you all missed it for this year. Adam Craig reckoned it was the best course he had ever ridden in 2007.

Kirroughtree

Actually, because of the constraints of the lap length, it turns out to be pretty flat and dull. The rocky stuff that's in 10 At Kirroughtree just isn't used.

ski
    Free Member

Were they all track standing at the start, is that standard for this level of racing now?

Top respect, I think some of that would have me off walking parts of that tbh!

njee20
    Free Member

Nah you're not supposed to track stand on the start, the odd person usually does, but you'll get fined if they see you do it. Agree it does look a bit like it in the Freecaster vid.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Dougal
    Free Member

Nick – Your perfect course description IS Aviemore.

grumm
    Free Member

technical these days seems to be linked to 'needs balls',

But if you have the technical ability to ride something difficult well then it doesn't require as much balls as it might do for someone who isn't as good – the two are linked surely.

njee20
    Free Member

Maybe I'll have to get up to Aviemore sometime then Dougal!

Grumm what I mean is that there are a number of things deemed 'technical' that are really about balls. Drop offs are a good example I'd say. Doing a 10ft drop off is largely about bravery. Of course there is skill involved, but the big thing is being brave enough. Twisty, rocky singletrack can be technical in that there will be a vast difference between the slow folk, who will still be able to ride it, albeit picking their way through, and the fast folk, who will be much much faster and more fluid. A drop off is likely to have a divide, people will do it, or people won't.

Just my opinion, I seem to have a lot of them on course design 🙂

juan
    Free Member

Most of it wouldn't be out of place on some black and red trailcentres

Well it's not like trail centers (even black) are that difficult are they?

The two first have managed to finish the transvesubienne. Which is lot more than a lot of people around here can say. I am sure most of them would ride with GD or FS is sponsors would allow them. As for the comment about how hard is it to ride when you are in the red bla bla bla… It's actually very easy.

When you are a pro and it's your job.

Dougal
    Free Member

Juan – Can you pass that along to your translator. Thanks.

njee20
    Free Member

Do you mean Schurter and Absalon have completed the Transvesubienne, and would ride with a gravity dropper or on FS if they had a choice? A number do have a choice, most seemed to opt for HT on Saturday with some exceptions. Gravity Droppers are heavy, and that matters to a lot of the riders, they can ride the stuff without one, why add several hundred grams needlessly?

I doubt they find the courses 'very easy' to ride flat out, just easier than most (if not all!) folk on here!

rolfharris
    Free Member

It never gets easier, it just gets faster.

olaf_hansen
    Free Member

As a bit of an aside, the day before this year's Transvesubienne, we came down to dinner and found both Schurter and Absalon sitting at the end of the table. We ended up being placed next to them – anyway I asked Nino if he was going to use to telescopic seatpost and he just laughed at me. He also found it absolutely hilarious when I mentioned it would take me 12hrs to finish – that's because he did it in 6hrs. Both were on FS bikes, but oddly Schurter was riding with tubes.

grumm
    Free Member

He also found it absolutely hilarious when I mentioned it would take me 12hrs to finish – that's because he did it in 6hrs.

Sounds like a bit of a cock.

crazy-legs

Rolling, long climbs are fine, but not 100% of the climbing in one go straight off the start line.

A lot of the old Welsh Series XC courses were like that back in the days when Schmoo was organising them. He actually said that he didn't rate technical ability, he just wanted a dirt crit although rider demands usually meant he put in a few bits of tech stuff. I remember several of his races at Afan and Rhonnda just being a 3-4mile climb, bit of flat then a long fireroad/singletrack mixed descent. Repeat 4 times.

olaf_hansen
    Free Member

'Sounds like a bit of a cock.'

actually they both turned out to be really approachable and interested in what us jokers were doing there.

juan
    Free Member

How did you like the course olaf 😉

olaf_hansen
    Free Member

Juan – TV nearly killed me. I was absolutely wrecked by the half way point. Just outside Nice, I thought the worst was over … but I was facing the wrong way 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

a 3-4mile climb, bit of flat then a long fireroad/singletrack mixed descent

I did a Dragon XC in 2007 that was like that. Conversely the next one was an awesome course, very odd!

juan
    Free Member

olaf if you managed that far you "must" have seen me.
    I was with the people having pic nic on the river just before the St claire food point. The family the two roadies and someone else…

juan
    Free Member

but oddly Schurter was riding with tubes.

Well not odd at all. You do know why absalon did not won…

Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘Absolute Carnage – Worlds XC.’ is closed to new replies.