• This topic has 98 replies, 43 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by juan.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)
  • Absolute Carnage – Worlds XC.
  • Smee
    Free Member
    grumm
    Free Member

That course looks pretty good – some of their technical skills seem to be pretty poor though!

geordiepaul
    Free Member

Amazed at the amount of riders that don't really seem to able to handle a few rocks! Loved the rider who tried the technical shortcut and plowed straight into the rider that took the chicken run. haha

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Looks like they could do with a seat dropper!!

🙂

Smee
    Free Member

The front guys make it look so damn easy though.

grumm
    Free Member

Loved the rider who tried the technical shortcut and plowed straight into the rider that took the chicken run. haha

Yup I liked that bit! Seems a much better course than any other XC race I've seen televised – I like the optional lines.

RepacK
    Free Member

Good looking course – surprising amount of crashes though. Unless its much steeper & bigger than it looked?

anagallis_arvensis

Its undoubtedly much harder than it looks on telly and riding at the limit of endurance makes technical stuff much harder. But of course the idiots on here could do better 😉

Dougal
    Free Member

On a course like that, anyone without the 'skills' is very quickly going to be dropped from any sort of podium contention. DId look like cracking good fun (literally for one US junior who snapped his bars).

Amazed at the amount of riders that don't really seem to able to handle a few rocks!

I imagine if put into a pressure situation where there are thirty riders in front of you, and thirty behind you buzzing your tyre, you're going to feel a bit different about riding those rocks for seven laps while at max-heartrate.

I'm sure you're a real technical god on your 5" trail bike when you have time and composure to tackle stuff.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Are they tiny, or riding 29-ers. Some of them look like they are on massive wheels!

mrmo
    Free Member

they will be tiny, to ride a bike you want as little weight as possible, big is bad.

Surfr
    Free Member

Yeh I think there were some 29ers in there.

Is everyone else getting sound? Or is it just me watching it in silence?

Smee
    Free Member

The first few minutes had no sound for me, but the rest of it did.

johnners
    Free Member

Amazed at the amount of riders that don't really seem to able to handle a few rocks!

It looks about as hard as anything I ever ride. On a LT h/t, and not in a race.

pantsonfire
    Free Member

Looked like a real fun course that would love that in my back garden.

Always makes me laugh people slagging off XC riders lack of skills try riding round that course flat out for a full race on a lightweight XC bike and see how many times you chew dirt

julianwilson
    Free Member

Those crashes are way funny, especially the t-boning near the beginning and the ensuing bike tangle.

The only world cuppy standard course I have ever actually ridden on is newnham and even with the camera flattening out the rail, that course looks waaaaaaaay harder!

I can imagine riding/cleaning those rocky bits once, but in that heat with that climb and goodness knows how many laps… [edit: 7 laps and 42-odd km, zoiks!!]

simonralli2
    Free Member

Does anyone know if this will be on say Eurosport? My Mum is very much a fan of the darkside (currently enjoying the Vuelta) but after we watched some 4x MTB racing she is now into this as well. 😀

Cheers

Si

Kahurangi

Course looks excellent fun.

No doubt harder when confronted on top of a bike – looks like a lot of "oh S**t!" moments from riders being confronted with bigger drops than they were expecting and bottling rolling down it. Just the height of drops to send you over the bars if you're not on the ball.

It does look like there are no obstacles that couldn't be rolled over though? Only watched a few minutes.

DrP

They really do like they're riding 36" wheels!
    The bit 3 1/2 min in looks like a child on their dad's bike!

DrP

jonb
    Free Member

Does actually look quite difficult. Most of it wouldn't be out of place on some black and red trailcentres I've been to. Things always look easier on video in my experience (Dalbeattie slab comes to mind, wondered what the fuss was until I was sat at the top!)

And as above I wouldn't fancy riding that flat out in a race. I do like the optional lines though. Take a chance and get a shortcut or take it safe and go a bit further. MAkes it more exciting.

Dougal
    Free Member

but in that heat with that climb

It was 16C, but then, that is heat compared to what we have at the moment.

tegski
    Free Member

Live in Canberra (lucky) and have ridden course. Cardiac climb is well named as heart is exploding at the top. I race club (Masters) races and am just able to ride up it. Then comes a whole heap of techy turns including chain ring busting boulders in the middle of the track that you have to jump over or crash into. After that the Hammerhead is a few boulders that seem vertical when you look from the top and drop about 8m in 20m of track including turns if you take the A line. I can barely ride the B line here. A big hats off to all of the riders that race 5 and 7 laps of this! I can only aspire to be that good as they are – all a big leap above me in skill level! Crashes…well I am not surprised as I fall off trying to pedal up the track and I don't have anyone chasing me!
    Come and try it yourself – lots of good photos on mtbreview and rotorburn websites – Have fun!

mamadirt
    Free Member

Sheesh – respect! Wouldn't want to ride some of that stuff at speed on my bike let alone an x/c hardtail with 100mm up front. Cracking footage.

Sim

That looks an amazing course, really enjoyed watching that.
    Jumps, drops and berms on an XC course, that's got to be the future!

Dougal
    Free Member

Sim – You seem surprised! Explains why the 'race' edition of the mag a few months back seemed largely out of touch with what's really going on.

Freecaster has been amazing for bring the masses up to date with the new style courses (short, technical), rather than the dirt-crit that people traditionally think of.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Yeah, that looks well hard considering the bikes they're riding… Easy on my 140mm trail bike sure…

Surfr
    Free Member

Just watched the full elite mens race. Awesome speeds carried. Great race. Hope there are more like it.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Just about to watch the Mens race. Women were OK but agree that their basic skills seem to have deserted them. Would love to ride my race lite XC hardtail round there. But they are still super quick.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

And sod doing that with only one front chain ring. 9 speed!!!

njee20
    Free Member

Sure that's not the hardest bit! I know one of the top juniors spent an hour looking at this, which suggests it's rather steeper than it looks!

Smee
    Free Member

Or that they're not used to riding technical stuff and get by on fitness alone….

njee20
    Free Member

Shame Scotland can't produce any riders as quick as him then isn't it? As you're all riding Gods.

Smee
    Free Member

Where does the British junior champ come from?

njee20
    Free Member

He's not as quick as the chap that posted that photo though.

Anyway, shouldn't you be out driving laps of roundabouts?

Smee
    Free Member

You saying that you could beat him? It is after all you that posted that photo.

Surfr
    Free Member
    njee20
    Free Member

The Nat Champ is actually Kenta Gallagher, who's Scottish, but Steve James isn't far behind him and has beaten him a few times this year. He's from Berkshire, technical capital of the world!

None of them are a patch on Goan though, he teaches Steve Peat tactics in fact.

Smee
    Free Member

I am shite on a bike, never claimed to be anything other than that.

njee20
    Free Member

That's weird, you're always the first to comment on how crap everyone else is!

Smee
    Free Member

Shite is a relative term though. 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘Absolute Carnage – Worlds XC.’ is closed to new replies.