Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Absolute Black Oval Chainring
  • beano68
    Free Member

Thinking bout getting one, but what are the benefits ,so whats your personal experiences from anyone who has used them ?

gaidong
    Free Member

I’ve got one in 32T. I can’t say I’ve noticed much difference but it doesn’t cost more than the round ones, so why not try!

Kryton57

I have 34t.

For me as a poor climber I can definately feel the lack of a gap in a stroke uphill and I know there’s a little less drop in effort with each pedal rotation. Reinforced even more when standing to climb.

M6TTF
    Free Member

got one, like it – however i have also bought a works components one for half the price, which looks pretty much identical.

beano68
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply’s … I normally use a 30t so would I get the same size again ?

gaidong
    Free Member

What crank do you have? AB don’t do an oval 30T in 104 BCD (else I would have bought one :cry:). I wrote to them and they don’t have any plans to make one either; physically possible but production costs too high.

asbrooks

Go with the 32t one, I went from a 30t round to 32t oval. I can’t say that I’ve noticed anything different.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’ve got the AB 30t spiderless SRAM one on one bike and the Works 32t 104bcd on another. Both work fine. Only bought them because they were the same price as round ones.
    Initially I would have said that I couldn’t tell any difference personally… however, I’ve noticed that the one bike I still have with a round chainring is now beginning to feel a little “different”, so maybe there is something in it.

Northwind

I have a couple, tbh I can’t feel any “performance” benefits- I went from 32T round to 34T oval on one bike, on most people’s recommendation but to me it still feels like 34T really. It could be I’m going faster, or something, these things are pretty subjective.

But, I do feel more even-ness, if that makes sense- it’s really noticable on the fatbike where often there’s a noticable bounce in pedalling, there’s much less of that. So it’s definitely doing something.

beano68
    Free Member

Got the spiderless SRAM BB30 Short, already got the AB normal chainring fitted so fancy trying the oval out

nedrapier

toothy choosing – If you’re happy with you’re climbing gear but want some extra speed before you spin out on the flat, go up 2 teeth, if you’re happy with speed on the flat but want a slightly easier time of it uphill, stay with the same number of teeth.

DanW
    Free Member

I’ve got one in 32T. I can’t say I’ve noticed much difference but it doesn’t cost more than the round ones, so why not try!

This IME too

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I run oval on both the rigid 29er and the 27.5FS. I can feel it more on the rigid bike. Helps with low-cadence and out-of-the-saddle climbing the most, for me. 32t on both.

theboyneeds
    Free Member

Got a 34t on my rigid 29er. Have found it makes a good difference both in 1×10 and ss incarnations. Particularly when getting out of the saddle up hills. It really smooths out the stroke. Closest i can equate it to is like being on a step machine in the gym. I’ll be swapping them onto all my bikes as required. And i went from 32t round to 34t oval and felt no significant effort which was nice.

And they’re pretty cheap too!

honourablegeorge

There’s something to them – a smoothness maybe, or a slight improvement in efficiency, but it’s hard to notice or quantify. But generally, it’s a good thing.

nedrapier

if happy with you’re climbing

Sweet baby Jesus. Sorry about that.

leftyboy
    Free Member

I’ve got a 32T oval on my FS and a 32T round on my HT and there’s a small but noticeable difference with the round being slightly ‘choppy’ when climbing although I notice it more on road on steep climbs than off road possibly due to the amount of mud around currently 🙂

I’m planning on swapping the round to an oval on my HT so will be able to confirm my ‘findings’ once I’ve done the swap.

gelert
    Free Member

Running 32T AB Ovals (one Cinch, one 104BCD) on two bikes because of the possible knee pain benefits (you’ll try anything when you’re in pain!) and loving it. Since they’re the same cost as normal ones I thought I’d give it a go but I’m quite sure there’s a performance benefit both on climbs, when going flat out and when you’re tired and flagging.

Flat out it feels like there’s a “momentum mash” build up that you can sustain easier. It’s weird. I’ve used the 11T more than I ever did with the 32T round ring.

Climbs is two factor for me. I wasn’t able to spin well for every climb where I live with a 36T rear but with the 42T I can spin much better and I’ve found I’m actually getting quicker to the top and can continue at the top with the 42 until I recover enough to click some more gears instead of stopping for a breather.

It’s a bail out gear that I’m appreciating more and more when the legs slow down too much and the oval feels like the dead spot is just easier to pass through.

Flat pedals for me and something I read said that ovals carry more benefits with flats than for clip less (never tried clip less and don’t care to as I feel fine on flats). 160 and 140 bikes. Shimano XT 11 speed 42 rear ends.

Stayed on and span up a climb during a race yesterday that in October I pushed up because it was quicker to push than struggle on the 36T rear.

I could just be thinking it feels better to please my purchasing new parts habit and nowt really changed. Placebo effect?!

poah
    Free Member

can’t tell any difference with my 32t AB oval but I’m happy to be on the bandwagon

welshfarmer

I used a 32 tooth one and can’t say I really noticed any difference over the RF NW I had on before. Now running a Superstar 30 t and again can’t say I notice any change. Some of us struggle so much with riding, we don’t notice the finer nuances of tiny changes to the bike 🙂

julzm
    Free Member

I’ve been running one on a Hardtail and a full suss and noticed I was climbing generally one gear higher than previously. Just changed bikes and had a full day of climbing on the new one yesterday with a round ring, definitely noticed the difference as the day went on and have fitted an oval to it today. Weirdly the round ring now feels oval when spinning if that makes sense.

callmetc
    Free Member

Done about 200 miles since fitting one on my full sus.

The main thing I’ve noticed is ive had a lot less pain in my dodgy knee. Not completely eliminated but the pain happens alot less often.

njee20
    Free Member

This IME too[/quote]

+another

nickc

Gone from 32 round to 32 oval. Like it, makes those crunchy uphill moments a load easier and weirdly uphill hairpins which have always been a bugbear I can now do with ease! I reckon it’s because it smooths out your stroke (oh err)

mikesbikes71
    Free Member

I got 1 of the superstar 34t ones when they were on sale and went 1×10 at the same time.
    I’ve noticed a pretty big difference when climbing long fireroad drags. feels easier and faster. not missed the granny.
    worth it for that definitely.
    The NW is also great. not dropped a chain yet even after crashes.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Absolute Black Oval Chainring’ is closed to new replies.