Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Absolute black oval chain ring
  • jimmon2008
    Free Member

Watching AB’s promotional video recently has really got me thinking that they are very beneficial, especially over a standard round front ring.

Dilemma is that after speaking to my LBS they said otherwise and stated that if they were so much more efficient etc then all the pro’s would be using them and apparently they aren’t.

Are they better, more efficient and worth buying over a standard round one?? If you’re using one why is it better?

ahwiles
    Free Member

hang on…

here’s a pro, with wibbly-wobbly chainrings:

(cue argument about oval-vs-Osymenemetric definitions)

will
    Free Member

I’ve got one, used it for around 90 miles so far on mixed terrain. On long hills where the effort is constant then I have noticed a benefit, on other things no real difference.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Try searching, there’s multiple topics on exactly this subject over the last few days.

notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

Ive just put an oval ring on my full suss I can’t tell the difference if I’m concentrating on pedalling “circles”. I can feel the difference(for the better) when stomping on the pedals and technical climbs

njee20
    Free Member

The only time I notice mine is when spinning on the road, feels odd. No idea if it’s a benefit, but it’s not a hindrance I’m sure, and it’s green.

char34
    Free Member

allways looking for easy ways up a hill you lazy bastid
    try harder soft arse

andyfla
    Free Member

I have put some on my road bike – the first thing I did was the fred whitton, so a few long low cadence hills to test them out – really noticed it when I was on the limit – I didnt seem to be stomping on the pedals but turning them much more smoothly

I have been riding them since may so it will be interesting to see what the diff is going back to the winter bike ( I did do a 2 day bike packing of 200k in wales and didnt notice a diff going back to round rings )

On balance for the no stompy feeling I am keeping them

jimmon2008
    Free Member

Will try anything to keep up with you on the climbs char34

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Out of the saddle, low cadence stuff is definitely smoother IMO.

I don’t think it has a big effect on power or at higher cadences though, subjectively at least.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Absolute black oval chain ring’ is closed to new replies.