Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Absolute Black or Works Components oval chainrings?
  • hughjayteens
    Free Member

Any reason (apart from it looking more bling) that it’s worth paying almost twice as much for an AB rather than a Works? I’m a complete tart and have a very bling bike, but both of them look better than the standard XX1 setup, so I’m struggling!

Northwind

I’ve got both, tbh they’re pretty much the same in use. The AB looks nicer, the Works machining is kind of functional while the AB is downright pretty, but it works out pretty much the same weight so I don’t think it’s making any real difference.. I’ve a sneaking suspicion the AB’s chain retention is worse, but, tbf both are very good to the point that I can’t tell- the AB’s dropped the chain more often but it’s always been rare so it could just be pure chance.

The ovals might well be different, I don’t know, but I don’t pay extra for differences I can’t feel 😉 AB do cover options Works don’t, like Raceface cinch.

blairc70
    Free Member

my AB has been great but also got a bionicon direct mount one that looks even better and no dropped chains on either.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bionicon-B-Labs-B-Ring-Oval-Narrow-Wide-Chainring-GXP-Direct-Mount28-30-32-34-36-/171631778061?var=&hash=item27f60d190d:m:mCdPs3FGrgbPnf40PlyJDCg

DanW
    Free Member

Get whichever is in stock in the colour you like. I think you’ll struggle to see any difference between the two having had both at various times

robgclarkson
    Free Member

Buy British where possible…. Shirley?!

M6TTF
    Free Member

Bionicon one is £54!!!!! is it made of unobtanium?

Northwind

Yeah, proper “made in britain” success story, Works are. Also imo Works deserve a lot of credit for being the first to blow open the narrow/wide thing, they were the first aftermarket option. Though AB were the first with the n/w oval I think?

Having a bit of bother with AB right now as it happens; ordered an “in stock” chainring and ordered new cranks the same day for it. Then it turns out not to be in stock. They’ve just got a UK supplier so I asked, will the UK supplier have any? No, say AB, you’ll have to wait, and buy it from us (which incidentally is more expensive). Today it turns out the UK supplier DOES have them. First world problem obviously but that’s all mildly irritating, I’m still riding around on a knackered crank because of all this bollocks.

Northwind

Oh yeah- Velotech now sell AB in the UK, which works out a little cheaper.

jakd95
    Free Member

I’ve had a round and now have an oval Works ring. In nearly two years of using then on my BFE I haven’t dropped a chain a single time. They look good, are light and are a reasonable price. The round one was on the bike for 18 months and has only just been swapped out for the oval one, it still has plenty of life left in it, it’ll be going on the 29er.

And the Works one has threads for the chainring bolts in the ring, saves using one of those fiddly chainring bolt spanner thingys, not sure if the AB is the same?

Northwind

I think you only get that with the small sizes where you can’t use a normal bolt.

chiefgrooveguru

Just got a 32t oval from Works – should get around to fitting it this weekend. The holes are threaded so I look forward to not having to use those bloody stupid outer bolt/nut idiot things (which are the ONE component in the whole bicycle industry crying out for a new standard!)

hughjayteens
    Free Member

My XX1 chainset is the GXP style direct mount so doesn’t use any bolts anyway. I think I’ll go works as I like to buy British where possible.

Thanks

honourablegeorge

Northwind – Member
    Yeah, proper “made in britain” success story, Works are. Also imo Works deserve a lot of credit for being the first to blow open the narrow/wide thing, they were the first aftermarket option.

Prepared to be corrected here, but I thought OneUp launched a NW before Works

Or as I type, maybe it was the expander they were first with.

daftvader
    Free Member

Works all the way… Customer service is brilliant opposed to absolute shit who were rude and uncooperative when their ss cog broke on the first ride….

johnnystorm

My cheapo Black by AbsoluteBlack oval ring from Crc for £27 works well. Not tried a works.

Northwind

@honourable, yeah, OneUp had the first proper expander. There was… Leosomething? I want to say Leo Vince but that’s exhausts… Someone made a 3 cog expander but it was expensive IIRC and supposedly the shifting was bad.

everyone
    Free Member

Leonardi maybe?

Northwind

That’s the one, the General Lee. CHeers!

honourablegeorge

There was a General Lee.Leonard, yeah

I had an Absolute Black 3-cog expander which didn’t last at all, crap product. Alu teeth are for sit and spin only.

I do theink there were other companies outsie the UK that had NW rings before Works though – think even RaceFace might have been in ahead of them

fudge9202
    Free Member

2 works components n/w ovals here, work flawlessly and no dropped chains

Northwind

Nah, Raceface were a little after- though I reckon they had the product ready to go. (it felt a bit like they were waiting for someone else to test SRAM’s reaction tbh). Wolftooth and AB and a few others were pretty quick too

fathomer

I’d have bought Works but they don’t do Cinch ones (yet?) 🙁

robgclarkson
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    Having a bit of bother with AB right now as it happens; ordered an “in stock” chainring and ordered new cranks the same day for it. Then it turns out not to be in stock. They’ve just got a UK supplier so I asked, will the UK supplier have any? No, say AB, you’ll have to wait, and buy it from us (which incidentally is more expensive). Today it turns out the UK supplier DOES have them. First world problem obviously but that’s all mildly irritating, I’m still riding around on a knackered crank because of all this bollocks.

same here, ordered a 42T oval direct mount SRAM CX chain ring on the 9th of december…. been told to wait another week yet… i’m getting a bit frustrated tbh

frazchops
    Free Member

workscomponents all the way! Durable, cheap and manufactured in the UK. What’s not to like?

sprocker
    Free Member

Slightly off topic, sorry OP but do people find a noticeable benefit with an oval ring.

Northwind

I’ve got ovals on 2 bikes, tbh I don’t feel any real difference on the HT; but I’m totally cool with the idea that maybe it does make a difference that I can’t feel. On the fatbike it makes a big difference to seated, low gear pedalling- that can be a pretty blobby affair on a fatbike but it smooths things a lot. SO that kind of implies it’ll be doing something similiar on the ht, just not so obviously.

honourablegeorge

I feel no difference with the oval, and I’m not convinced on traction improvements, but I think it’s easier on my knees

sprocker
    Free Member

Think I may give one a go next time around on my hardtail

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Just ordered one from Works so will report back once it’s fitted.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Update for anyone interested. Got a 32T oval from Works and got round to fitting it last week. TBH, I can’t tell it’s there which is a good thing I guess. Felt ‘different’ initially but within 5 minutes it felt perfectly normal. Can’t say it felt any more efficient but my old one was worn so happy with the purchase.

I’d also forgotten how smooth and quiet a new chain feels – lovely!!

One comment on the Works is that it needed a few taps to get onto my XX1 cranks – almost as if the machining was ever so slightly out. The SRAM spider dropped off as I loosened the bolts but this certainly wouldn’t. Unsure if that’s good or bad but thought it worth mentioning.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

I had the same experience as you. The WC oval was a very tight fit on my sram crank.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Absolute Black or Works Components oval chainrings?’ is closed to new replies.