• This topic has 25 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by mokl.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Absolute Black
  • mokl
    Free Member

Specifically their customer service. Has anyone had any experience of this? How have you found it?

I’m trying to exchange something and so far I’m not very encouraged…

ianfitz
    Free Member

Not recently but had good info and service direct from Marcin. I gather they are a bit of a bigger company now so don’t know how this has effected

mokl
    Free Member

Thanks. I’ll sit tight for a few more days before I get the Bombers out.

Northwind

Little bit of a lying prick tbh. Told me a ring was in stock, I bought it and cranks to match, turns out it’s not in stock either. I speak to the UK distributor, they don’t have one but they speak to AB and get told there’s some on the way. No, those don’t exist either. Poor UK guy was mortified but not their fault. Eventually he came good but it took longer than promised IIRC, which considering it’s a product they make themselves, is doubly shit.

First world problems obvz but left me properly hanging with an expensive crank and a half-knackered bike. At the time, he was the only person making the particular item or I’d have never gone there in the first place after previous ropey bullshit, now I know just to avoid entirely.

mokl
    Free Member

Oh dear… 🙁

mokl
    Free Member

At least I payed with Paypal and sent it tracked/signed for. I should have a chance of a refund if they don’t get back to me. I’m glad I didn’t order the replacement up front now (I needed a round, not oval ring) – it was the very slow comm’s when I enquired about return that made me cautious. Hopefully they’ll come good as the ring was lovely quality.

EDIT – ordered direct from AB website, just for clarity.

Northwind

Oh- in fairness, the actual product is very good, he’s just got a relaxed atttitude to the truth. If he’d been straight with me, it wouldn’t have been an issue so I don’t even really understand why he decided not to.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Product is good, dispatch time for me was great, but getting a refund out of them was like getting blood out of a stone. I got it eventually but it took a lot of chasing.

mokl
    Free Member

but getting a refund out of them was like getting blood out of a stone.

Hmmmm. This is annoying when they keep popping up on my fb feed telling me I could have used it for 30 days and sent it back at no cost and swapped it for a round one! The only reason I sent it back is because the oval ring wouldn’t clear the chainstays on my frame 🙁

According to the tracking they received it on the 24th but no communication or sign of money yet. Will give them a bit longer as I suppose they could be busy…

neil853
    Free Member

Absolutely terrible product and worse customer service. Bought a cassette extender, the one that was the top half of the block and its slipped after 15 miles. Emailed and was basically told it was my fault and came up with a list of ways I must have damaged it. Genuinely not interested. Mate of mine had the exact same thing with the single cassette extender and was again told they weren’t interested. You come across companies like this from time to time and you’ve got to learn from it and move on. Definitely struck of the list for me

honourablegeorge

Yeah, my cassette extender didn’t last at all. Very disappointed.

davros

I bought a 28 tooth nw 64bcd chainring which lasted 1 chain’s worth of summer riding. As soon as I replaced the chain it failed to release the chain smoothly causing it to bounce constantly. Awful durability.

Mbnut
    Free Member

Ha…. I have one to go back and two on the way. :-C

Fingers crossed.

spooky_b329

I was tempted by AbsoluteBlack and their promise of a better ‘ovality’ than others, but in the end I plumped for one by Works Components, and reading this, I’m not regretting that (though I’ve not tried to return anything to Works)

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

My oval 32t has been spot on.

tom.nash

I have experienced no issues ordering straight from the website, arrived quickly and answered an email quickly. I have now done 300+km on an aB oval 30T cinch through a Scottish winter and it still looks good, wearing well, not dropped the chain and makes a massive difference in rear wheel traction and reducing leg fatigue.

Try making contact through FB and always worth checking your spam/junk folder in case your email platform thinks it is such.

panzerjager
    Free Member

Hmmm, that’s a bummer. Was just about to pre-order an oval direct mount ring for my E13 cranks… Perhaps I’ll rethink that.

Anyone else making oval direct mount for E13? I think this is/will be the only one so far.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

I ordered a SRAM direct mount 42T oval ring on the 9th of December… I cancelled my order on the 5th of February after getting fobbed off about delivery times constantly… ended up getting a Wolftooth ring instead, would have got a works ones in a heartbeat if they’d done one in the size I’d wanted.

Why advertise something you don’t have?!?! Surely in this digital age it’s pretty easy to update your website with the correct stock levels!?

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Ordered 3 rings, no problems with product or service. Marcin has always been responsive and helpful on email. Did try to return a ring once as wanted a different size but had to pay shipping cost back to Poland, so made more financial sense to flog it on here and make most of the cost back.

twohats
    Free Member

I was tempted by AbsoluteBlack and their promise of a better ‘ovality’ than others, but in the end I plumped for one by Works Components, and reading this, I’m not regretting that (though I’ve not tried to return anything to Works)

Works customer service is spot on.
    I ordered an oval off them a month or so back and the tracking info showed it had gone to another continent for some reason (India no less)! Emailed them and they promptly dropped another ring in the post the same day. Instant responses to all emails.
    Quality product at half the price of Absolute Black too.

MSP

I had a mare with ab’s customer service when a chainring I ordered didn’t turn up. Apparently it was my fault their choice of expensive delivery services failed to deliver it.

Good product but not a chance in hell I would deal directly with them again, total asshats.

minley1
    Free Member

I have had nothing but good service from Marcin and his team, I have a 32 Oval and a 16t cog on the single speed, and a 34 oval on my geared bike, also have one of the top caps.
    All lasting well and very nicely finished.
    Like every company there will be ups and downs, but I would not be put off by a few negative reviews, there is a huge thread over on MTBR about these guys, and on balance more good than bad experiences.

neil853
    Free Member

Can only call it how I see it. And two of my riding mates have had exactly the same experience with marcin and one other.

mokl
    Free Member

May try a gentle prod via Facebook and see if that illicits a response.

Northwind

Re wear, I have one of the early ovals, it’s lasted very well. The

spooky_b329 – Member

TBH Works can be pretty tricky just because they’re always stupidly busy, they seem to have the gift of making stuff that they can just… about… almost meet demand for. Great kit though.

mokl
    Free Member

Update: after posting on facebook they responded asking me to email (which I’d already done) so I sent another, expecting a reply. Amazingly still no response to my email and no refund so I’ve opened a dispute in PayPal. They apologised on fb saying they were very busy, but this is poor. They won’t see any more of my money 🙁

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Absolute Black’ is closed to new replies.