Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • about to join Talk Talk from BT any reason why not???
  • wormhole

Have just realised BT are caning me for phone and BB, about £50pcm!! can get the same/better from TT for £24 so appears a no brainer but….. anyone had any bad experience with them?

tim2106

I’ve been with Talk Talk for quite a few years (started with Tiscali) and I’ve always been very happy. They are pretty good at ringing me up periodically to offer me upgrades/price reductions too. Comparable with the service I always got from BT but about half the price, so, as you say, a no brainer.

weeksy

Lol if only you could get better.

I know 3 people on talk talk, all unhappy

wormhole

weeksy, why are they unhappy? also looking at Sky?

tim2106

Should have added that my mum and sister also changed to Talk Talk, no issues for either of them – just cheaper bills! But I’m sure it’s possible to find people who have had issues with any telecom provider.

elliott-20
    Free Member

I went the other way. Only had phone with TT as I source my broad band from a better supplier but the main reasons I let were a poor service and this;

They are pretty good annoying at ringing me up periodically to offer me upgrades/price reductions too

It was constant.

I pay about 35 quid all together for my phone and broadband, yes it maybe more than other options because they’re from difference suppliers but I get a hassle free service.

legend
    Free Member

What about the option of BT but not BT, aka PlusNet? Been with them for iro 15 years, always been top notch in every aspect of service

daveh
    Free Member

I don’t think you’ll notice much of a difference in customer service! I saw a reasonable speed increase moving from BT to TT. TT constant offers (with accompanying increase in contact length) can be stopped by requesting not to be contacted.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Plusnet customer service seem alright on the few times I’ve had to deal with them – when I noticed our exchange was upgraded, and wanted a faster speed right away, rather than when they got round to doing the upgrade cycle, they replied to my message within 24 hours just saying yeah, no problems, you’ll get a text once the new speed is on, and sent me messages about various things while they were getting it done to let me know the progress.

Weird really given how bad BT customer service is and how they’re effectively the same company.

phil69
    Free Member

Not used them personally but my parents used them for about nine months before switching. Nothing but aggravation with incorrect monthly bills/direct debit payments, broken promises of ‘its all sorted now sir, your bill will be correct next month’, weekly telesales calls about upgrades etc, non-uk call centre people passing them from one dept to another where they would have to start the story/complaint over again etc, etc. Having seen what they went through i wouldn’t touch them.

stumpy01

We are cancelling our Talk Talk contract & probably going to Plusnet.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Had plusnet for 3 months on the no contract deal and it was fine. Good service. Bt before that generally good. But I’m sure talk talk seem to come bottom of rhetoric customer satisfaction tables every tines

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

was with tt for 4 years and left them in June as was sick of the line constantly dropping out, support in Bangalore was dire in dealing with it. Left to go to BT – service there is as bad if not worse. If I was not signed up for a 12 month contract I would definetly go to Plusnet

djglover
    Free Member

I was with tt when aol got eaten up. No complaints until they cut me off a bit early when I moved house, Oh and the horrendous repeat retention calls at the end of the contract…

With virgin fibre optic now, its mint

granny_ring

We were paying around £30/month for phone and broadband with Talk Talk.

When the contract was up earlier in the year I had a look around to see what other deals were around and going through topback cash and Plusnet the same deal would have worked out to £16/month.

A couple of phone calls to Talk Talk and they agreed to price match so I’m happy with them. 🙂

martinxyz
    Free Member

Is Talktalk business the same? This is what is used at work and we had a problem last week. Couldn’t contact them til monday morning. (line problem in a shop all weekend and not one number to call)

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

TalkTalk have been Ofcom’s most complained about ISP for every quarter since they began recording/publishing the data:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/09/26/ofcom_quarterly_complaints_report/

mikewsmith
    Free Member

—————-Satisfaction—Neutral–Dissatisfaction
    Sky————-64%————21%——15%
    Orange———-58%————26%——16%
    BT————–57%————24%——18%
    Virgin Media—-57%————24%——19%
    TalkTalk/Tiscali-55%———–29%——17%
    From http://media.ofcom.org.uk/2011/11/25/latest-customer-service-satisfaction-levels-revealed/

bigblackshed

I was with TalkTalk for too long. Where do I start?

Constant dropping out, slower and slower download speeds until I called them and complained, then suddenly it zips back up to where its supposed to be, tech support overseas with ops that don’t speak English as their first language that have zero idea, renewing of my contract without permission then refusing to let me leave unless I paid up the entire 24 month contract.

Then when I did give notice to leave they called repeatedly to offer better deals. I was paying for up to 8meg, the exchange was only capable of 4.2meg max and I was getting 1.8meg max. They offered me up-to 24meg for 3x the cost. But I’d only get a max of 6meg. I asked why I’m not getting 6meg if I’m paying for up-to 8meg. Answer…. That’s so we can charge more!!!!

I swapped to Utility Warehouse a couple of months ago. Turns out they use TalkTalk equipment in the exchange! So no better. Its got so bad we can’t stream movies and iplayer is a waste of time other than at 2 in the morning. BT have recently installed fibre optic in the street so I’m thinking of swapping to that. Don’t know who to go with though. Plusnet?????

fd3chris
    Free Member

I have used TT for a year , never again . They had the worst CS I’ve ever come across and their broadband speed was lower than my mobile phone . I had the problem looked into on various occasions and the ultimate answer was the router . I had to pay around £60 , if I recall , for a new one but if it proved not to fix it then I would have to “fight” their words , for a refund . I have never been happier slating a more useless , incompetent , harassing , totally unhelpful bunch of tw***s !

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I used to work for a bank that would not support VPN over Talk Talk broadband for their remote users.

weeksy

My neighbour uses my router 90% of the time as his won’t play anything more than a standard web page, his email is flakey, his internet drops connection constantly… So he just jumps on mine.

rewski
    Free Member

With the dominance of Sky, BT and Virgin, and taking into account what they’ve all got planned for the future I can’t see TT or some of the smaller ISP’s surviving. Especially if 4G is all it’s cracked up to be, a lot of people won’t even bother with fixed line.

robdixon
    Free Member

talktalk are a shower – both my parents have it and on two seperate lines in different places their broadband regularly packs up for days on end, the voicemail on their phones doesn’t work and the line quality is absolutely terrible – as if TalkTalk route voice calls over low bandwidth VOIP or something via India and back. Sure they are cheap but there’s a reason for that…

Davesport

I’m with TT, been with them for about five or six years. I’ve never had any real problems to speak of until a few months ago. My down speed was dropping at peak times from 7 Mbps to around 2 Mbps. I called TT & they wanted to check some settings in my own (Cisco) router. They didn’t have a help file for this so they sent me out another router FOC. This didn’t change things as I suspected it would’nt & they then sent out an engineer. He couldn’t make the changes he needed to from my PC & the problem’s still pending but is in the hands of BT. The nice engineer said that there was a newer router available than the one TT had posted out & gave me a nice new shiny one FOC. Never had any difficulties with the call centre staff & I’m generally connected quite quickly. Most of them sound pretty well educated IMO.

So, my problem with the variable down speed still exists but is being dealt with. My experience of ISP’s is that they’re all pretty much the same. If you move to different one you may well end up replacing one set of problems with another.

D.

zbonty

I’ve been with them a few years. I’ve not had to test their customer service yet..

No issues and £21 a month.

hjghg5
    Free Member

I’m with plusnet and on the one occasion I’ve had to speak to them recently I came off the phone thinking that it was the most helpful customer service call I’ve ever experienced. May have been a one off, but no complaints at the moment.

Rio

TalkTalk are supposed to be putting a major effort in to improving customer service. I was a bit cynical about this but having been with them for years and having dealt with their customer service several times they now get my vote for the biggest improvement in customer service I’ve ever come across; I used to avoid talking to them at all costs but the last call I had with them (asking them to speed up the ADSL line) was dealt with very efficiently. Service reliability was a bit variable when they used BT’s kit but has been fine since they put their own equipment in our exchange. We only use them for Broadband, not phone.

ourmaninthenorth

With the dominance of Sky, BT and Virgin, and taking into account what they’ve all got planned for the future I can’t see TT or some of the smaller ISP’s surviving. Especially if 4G is all it’s cracked up to be, a lot of people won’t even bother with fixed line.

You do realise TT are the second largest consumer ISP, and are now quad play (fixed, BB, TV, mobile)? And that doesn’t take into account the B2B business, and wholesale activities.

Everyone knows that fixed line is on its way out. But so’s voice over mobile. Anyway, don’t forget who the big mobile backhaul providers are…. Yes, BT and TT (Voda had to buy C&W to get a cheaper backhaul network).

toxicsoks
    Free Member

I’ve heard all the horror stories but I’ve not had any trouble with them in 5 years. *wishes I’d not said that – waits for catastrophic t’internet failure*

ourmaninthenorth

TalkTalk are supposed to be putting a major effort in to improving customer service.

It’s the sole thing the CEO talks about. And creates the vast majority of (consumer) projects within the business.

It’s a brand lots of people love to hate, and it’s certainly done plenty in the past to promote that image. There are a lot of people working hard to change that.

talktalk are a shower – both my parents have it and on two seperate lines in different places their broadband regularly packs up for days on end, the voicemail on their phones doesn’t work and the line quality is absolutely terrible – as if TalkTalk route voice calls over low bandwidth VOIP or something via India and back. Sure they are cheap but there’s a reason for that…

Sounds like a line fault between the house and the exchange – this is a BT issue (as BT still own all of those lines).

Tell them to contact customer services and harass them into putting them through to the Service Management Centre. They are a UK based team (if that makes a difference) who are the top line of fault resolution.

rewski
    Free Member

You do realise TT are the second largest consumer ISP

yep, at the moment maybe, but Virgin and Sky are hovering pretty close behind, unless TT TV or Youview really takes off, I’ve read it’s made a good start, it’ll be interesting to see how some ISPs will keep customers, BB, Fibre and TV bundles from Sky and BT next year will be very attractive to consumers.

I thought the TT TV ad was great though, better that the YV ad, good luck to them, more competition is good.

ourmaninthenorth

but Virgin and Sky are hovering pretty close behind, unless TT TV takes off

TT TV is free (other than for paid for content) to TT customers. Paid for content can be subscribed for a month at a time – no crazy Sky/Virgin mega long tie-ins.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘about to join Talk Talk from BT any reason why not???’ is closed to new replies.