Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • About to have a kitchen fitted – what do I need?
  • Rio

Unless you’re going for the unfitted look then definitely build in the microwave – they look stupid sitting on a worktop when you’ve carefully integrated everything else. And I’d second the waste disposal unit. And if we were starting again on the kitchen I’d have to make allowances for the million or so recycling containers that we now need…

johndoh
    Free Member

Microwave – definitely going to have that built-in – we are planning on having one floor to ceiling unit with lots of storage space for cleaning stuff, microwave and probably a ‘larder’ of sorts so all our tins, jars and packets are easy to find.

Waste disposal unit – we compost so most of our waste goes in there.

Recycling – we have that sorted in the utility (ie, it all gets bunged into the sink in there and occasionally decanted to the boxes outside).

IA

+1 on the recommendation to think about good lighting, under cabinets etc. makes a big difference to our kitchen. Especially as I’m tall and tend to block out ceiling lights.

Also +1 on drawers over cupboards. Crockery/cups/glasses drawers beside the dishwasher in ours makes unloading super easy.

T1000
    Free Member

if you want to use a wok mix and match some Domino hob units have induction + Gas

freeagent
    Free Member

We’ve got Corian worktops, with a moulded-in Corian sink.
    I love them…

johndoh
    Free Member

Freeagent – are you from Planet Tron?

(Nice kitchen – the sort of thing we will be doing I think).

trail_rat
    Free Member

something my dad did with his kitchen at home (having fitted hundreds over the years) was no wall hung cupboards.

i will be doing the same when the time comes.

my own and everyone elses kitchens with wallhung cupboards just seem compromised / dark and a pain to work in – even with undercab lighting

so my 50 p is no wallhung cupboards if you have the space and a tall one or two if you really need the storage space

oh and the no handle kitchens above look unfinished – i know no handles is trendy but it looks like its waiting on someone to come round and fit the handles to it…..

johndoh
    Free Member

so my 50 p is no wallhung cupboards if you have the space and a tall one or two if you really need the storage space

Yeah we are going for floor units only – with the big floor to ceiling unit to ensure we don’t run out of storage space.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Yes, this. A lot of the ‘kitchen advice’ we read was you can never have enough cupboards/storage but really glad we stuck with just the one wall hung unit and a floor to ceiling cupboard.

Same with the sockets in, i.e. think how many you need and double it, actually 4 double sockets is more than enough, 8 would just be silly.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Considering using that heavy-duty lino stuff for the floor rather than wood – just worried about it staining if we use wood. And we don’t want to use tiles as the open-plan style (ie kitchen/diner) means we would have tile in the eating area which I think would be a bit cold and uninviting.

Unless anyone has any other ideas?….

We went with a cheaper Karndean/Amtico product called Colonia from a company called Polyflor (they do a Camaro range too) on a recommendation from a friend (they’re basically a shop floor company getting into the domestic market). Less choice than the 10,000 combinations you get from Karndean but looks really nice in a light limestone effect with the grout strips.

Make sure the orignal floors are really finished – the original boards in the kitchen were a bit ropey and not a perfect match to the newer extension part and I can feel a dip under my feet occasionally despite the plywood cover under the tiles.

mark90
    Free Member

Same with the sockets in, i.e. think how many you need and double it, actually 4 double sockets is more than enough, 8 would just be silly.

The thing with sockets is not necessarily about the total number you need concurrently, but about where they are located. Get the locations right and it’s all good. More sockets increases the chances of one being where you need it in the future when you change your mind your wife changes her mind and moves stuff around.

But this is coming from someone who had 5 double sockets in a camper van to cover all possibilities and avoid trailing leads.

ferrals
    Free Member

Re. The flooring. We got real oak flooring sealed with some kind of resin from floors 2 go. We’ve got it in the hall kitchen and dining room, really links the rooms together. We did the hallway first and so got an offcut and left a bit of water, a wet tea bag, some curry powder and some pesto on it over a weekend, wiped it off with no staining at all.

I’ll post some pics this eve when I get a chance

johndoh
    Free Member

That sounds interesting Ferrals – does it work having the same floor go straight through from the hall? We are going to do that soon anyway so it might be worthy of consideration to lay the floor at the same time.

Hmmm

ferrals
    Free Member

We like it. I love the wood floor, cool on the feet but not cold like tiles.

Few photos:

And the kitchen (not quite finished, touching up and tilling etc to go, went to look at tiles this arvo but the ones we liked were £100 per sq. m!!)

cvilla

Depending on space and budget how about a commercial dish washer, does a cycle in about 5-10 mins, but £££ (Russ any experience?).
    Always great planning a kitchen, view from sink important for some;)

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘About to have a kitchen fitted – what do I need?’ is closed to new replies.