Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • About to build a wood store ….
  • ratswithwings
    Free Member

anyone else made one recently?

I’ve got a load of ash that is burning a treat but need to get it under cover!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yes I have made one recently.

It isn’t as large as any of McMoonters stores, but then again neither is my house.

wwaswas

load of ash that is burning a treat

That made me smile 🙂

ski
    Free Member

As I only have a narrow path down the one side of my property to store wood.

I tend to use old pallets cut down to make boxes two feet deep, by a pallet square to stack two rows of chopped wood, then place something on top to keep the rain off, the pallet has spacing below and a around to help dry the wood dry and offcuts get used for tinder.

I like Ash too….can never have enough Ash 😉

exilegeordie
    Free Member

As above, nowhere near mcmoonter’s epic standards, but I finished one recently (last one in this post)

geoffj

Just make sure you build it big enough. 1 of 3 I have and they are all full. I season my own wood, so I really need 2 years worth of capacity!

nbt

If you go to your local builder’s merchants, ask them for some of the crates that paving flags are delivered in. Stack them side by side and they make a great store, you just need to add a roof of some sort

psling
    Free Member

We make these in various shapes and sizes:

Cost a bit (£200+)but easy to copy with bits of wood 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

psling – there doesn’t seem to be much in the way of gaps for the wood to be aired in those?…

Dobbo

Cost a bit (£200+)

Man alive is that for the one shown?

Stoner
    Free Member

The hard standing to the left is for pallets of woodpellets for my boiler.
    I can store 2cubic metres of logs to the right.

psling
    Free Member

psling – there doesn’t seem to be much in the way of gaps for the wood to be aired in those?…

Gaps are about 32mm, bit of an optical illusion in that photo.

Dobbo – Member

Cost a bit (£200+)
    Man alive is that for the one shown?

Got to keep the ti lubed 8)

ratswithwings
    Free Member

Wow that’s a huge store stoner!!! I’m making mine from odds and ends. Though I have two on my allottie made out of pallets. Trying to do this one a bit tidier as its nxt to the house.

Some nice pics there.

I’m looking for more pallets though when you want them you never see them!!

derek_starship
    Free Member

rww – don’t suppose there’ll be room for any ebony in your woodstore…

psling
    Free Member

Which area you in. We’ve usually got a few old pallets available for collection from near Ross-on-Wye [FOC, bit cheaper than the stores!!]

ski
    Free Member

How true is that & when you don’t need any you find loads 😉

I have had 20 stolen from my allotment recently too!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

https://picasaweb.google.com/mcmoonter/SmallWoodshedProject2009#

Here’s a link to how I built my small one. I used telegraph poles, scaffold battens and some recycled slates. I doesnt need to be this fancy, it just needs to keep the rain off.

richc
    Free Member

Jesus. that’s OCD in action, if I’ve ever seen it.

ratswithwings
    Free Member

Wow McMoonter! That second pic is quite stunning!!

ratswithwings
    Free Member

Oh! I’m up in Yorkshire so ROW is a bit far!!! Thanks though!

What were you doing with 20 pallets??? Aren’t they worth about a fiver each?

That slate roof has given me an idea though!! I’ve got a box of slate up in the top of the garden and I reckon I’ll use that. Thanks for posting that pic as its given me some inspiration!!

ski
    Free Member

What were you doing with 20 pallets??? Aren’t they worth about a fiver each?

I also use them to make simple compost bins, must have a small fortune hanging about on my plot 😉

ski
    Free Member

mcmoonter, you and psling need to get together and do some designer log sheds, top work 😉

PePPeR

I just made a log store out of some 4’x6 trellis, and a front made out of scaffold boards, so that as we go down the store, I can remove the boards so my little wife can reach the wood.

It is no where near as neat and tidy as mcmoonters, but it will work very well for what we want.

matthewjb
    Free Member

These threads are always a race to post a picture before McMoonter shows his latest creation and puts us all to shame.

Anyway, I’ve bought a couple of these. Reasonable quality pressure treated timber. If you don’t want to buy one, I have a copy of the assembly plans which should give you some pointers on making your own.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

These threads are always a race to post a picture before McMoonter shows his latest creation and puts us all to shame.

😀

The small woodshed is purely for decoration, or until my supply dries up, thats why I took care stacking it. I figured if I was going to the bother of building a shed, I’d make it verastile enough to be adaptable for some other future use.

For daily use we use wood from this pile…

…or this one

althepal

Is this a continuation of the middle class thread?

stratobiker
    Free Member

mcmoonter plus wood store = awesome and amazing!!!

Here’s my shitty one built from free pallets..

SB

ratswithwings
    Free Member

Bringing this thread back. Finally got around to taking a photo of the one I built in October. Gonna get some better slates when II see a roof being replaced. Gonna make the roof a bit steeper aswell.

qwerty
    Free Member

here is one i built for the mother in law from off cuts n stuff found in her loft

i plan to build us one next, probably just extend an outbuilding roof and pile up against that

flip
    Free Member

Ratswithwings, that roof is a disgrace, get it sorted 😉

organic355
    Free Member

here is a couple of mine, and Ive got 3 more of these, probably got a tonne in each.

Dan1502
    Free Member

It was originally supposed to be a bigger store with space for one bin but we then found out we were getting two big bins and one small so this now hides the two big bins and has space for about 1.5 cubic meters of logs.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘About to build a wood store ….’ is closed to new replies.